Author Topic: Repair parts for Quick 861DW  (Read 7343 times)

Offline ScopetechniquesTopic starter

• Contributor
Repair parts for Quick 861DW
« on: September 02, 2018, 09:28:25 pm »
The blower in my Quick 861DW just failed. I appears something in the blower failed and the impeller is rubbing against the cage.
I've only used it twice and NOT very pleased with the quality so far.

Does anyone know if repair parts can be ordered and where? That's one thing I like about Hakko, any spare part can be ordered.

I assume this is the manufacturer:
http://www.quick-global.com/2-hot-air-gun-4.html

Their website does list this:
http://www.quick-global.com/2-lead-free-rework-2.html

So I have asked them for support on the blower.

Thanks,
Victor
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 09:31:51 pm by Scopetechniques »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: Repair parts for Quick 861DW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 09:58:18 pm »
Post some pictures, parts for these are cheap and relatively generic. Or some two-part epoxy might be sufficient.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 11:06:14 pm »
I appreciate the reply, but epoxying or gluing a 6 month old unit that I paid almost USD$300 is an insult.
You state the parts are generic, do you know of a source for this generic part?

I just opened the very cheap (in my opinion) blower. It appears the clear plastic impeller is press fit on the metal motor shaft and the plastic has cracked allowing the impeller to rub on the housing.

Epoxy can fix this, but the impeller would need to be balanced. I prefer to get a new impeller or blower if Quick has replacement parts like Hakko.

--Victor

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 12:57:36 am »
That's one thing I like about Hakko, any spare part can be ordered.

I appreciate the reply, but epoxying or gluing a 6 month old unit that I paid almost USD$300 is an insult.

Good news! if a drop of glue is too much you can just buy another brand new 861DW and still remain below the cost of hot wheels FR810  :phew:
on a serious note just wait for the reply from quick before complaining about only saving 3x by not buying hakko.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

The following users thanked this post: fzabkar

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 02:16:40 am »
That's not the point. I believe most would agree that if you purchase a tool for USD$300 it should be ready to be used as needed.
Instead of working on my task at hand, I had to spend time taking apart a tool to debug it and find broken parts that shouldn't happen in the first ten years of its life, much less 6 months.
If it happened to me it's going to be happening to others.

I'm not a Hakko fanboy, but I am a fanboy of quality equipment, unfortunately the Quick 861DW is not that.

--Victor

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 04:48:55 am »
Sorry, but I think you paid a bit too much for the quality you show...

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 04:55:19 am »
amyk, Are you saying this is possibly a fake Quick?

That might explain the low quality |O.
Never dawned on me that there would be fake Chinese products of Chinese products.

Thanks,
Victor

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 05:01:42 am »
Fake Quicks are dime a dozen. A real Quick is surprisingly well made (see Dave's video)

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 05:06:54 am »
So where can someone buy a real Quick 861DW in the US?
I assume the ones Louis Rossmann sells are genuine?

--Victor

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 05:21:19 am »
Fake Quicks are dime a dozen. A real Quick is surprisingly well made (see Dave's video)

I just watched Dave's video. My unit is exactly the same as his. He's got the same cheap*ss blower that fell apart on mine.
Mine has the Jamicon Caps and the red sealastic like his.
Does someone have pictures of the internals of a "real" 861DW?
If Dave's is genuine then mine is identical.

THanks,
Victor

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 03:31:06 pm »
Sorry, but I think you paid a bit too much for the quality you show...

Amyk, Can you please expound on your statement. You had me thinking my unit was not genuine, but after looking at Dave Jones "tear it apart" video, my unit is _exactly_ the same as his. Unless he started with a counterfeit unit also.

Still waiting for Quick to reply to my request for replacement parts.  The very brittle clear plastic impeller has three main cracks from the motor mounting hole.  So that it no longer fits tightly on the motor shaft, so that on start up the impeller slips and can wander during operation and impact the blower housing.

I will keep the group apprised of any response from Quick.  From looking at the failure I don't believe this is an isolated incident and I think this will happen again to others.

--Victor

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 05:33:37 pm »
I meant you're not going to get much better quality these days even if you pay more.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 07:58:57 pm »
Still waiting for Quick to reply to my request for replacement parts.  The very brittle clear plastic impeller has three main cracks from the motor mounting hole.  So that it no longer fits tightly on the motor shaft, so that on start up the impeller slips and can wander during operation and impact the blower housing.

sounds like standard fall damage
btw I know 8 year old quicks 861 (861DS) that still run just like new, only needed heater replacement.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:03:12 pm by Rasz »
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 08:24:47 pm »
It sounds a lot like shipping damage. It may have cracked back then and when used now the damage started to show.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 09:20:59 pm »

sounds like standard fall damage
btw I know 8 year old quicks 861 (861DS) that still run just like new, only needed heater replacement.

Very doubtful on the shipping damage. Firstly, the blower is mounted on rubber isolators. Secondly, the cracked impeller is very, very low mass.

On a good note I have repaired the unit by using small pieces of heat shrink tubing to compress the cracked plastic.

--Victor

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 09:34:07 pm »
The rubber isolators may very well have allowed the movement required for the damage. The impeller being low mass may have caused something with more mass to cause the damage, like the impeller housing or something besides both.

However, you seem content with the conclusion you've already drawn so there seems little use discussing it further.

Offline ttelectronic

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 09:44:08 pm »
My recent experience with these clear plastics is that the material is very brittle and cracks easily with little effort.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 10:12:38 pm »
My recent experience with these clear plastics is that the material is very brittle and cracks easily with little effort.
What plastics are those? Polystyrene, ABS, PET, polycarbonate or something else?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 10:31:43 pm by Mr. Scram »

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 11:14:21 pm »
I'm not an expert on plastics and the impeller has no markings. I would say polystyrene, but just a guess.
One side and the blades are clear plastic. The blades are heat welded into a thin aluminum stiffener on the opposite side of where the motor is.

I'm pretty sure it's not drop or shock damage. Any shock that can cause this much damage to a low mass, shock mounted assembly would have bent the mounting of the transformer to the thin sheet metal case.
My theory is that it's an inherent flaw or assembly error; if the impeller were cocked while being pressed on it could cause cracks at the time of assembly.

I'm just hoping Quick responds to my request for repair parts.

--Victor

Offline Samogon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 12:07:13 am »
Just unfortunate event happened despite many users report it as good unit for the price.
I personally have Weller WHA900 and was complaining about its low thermal output. It was enough for most parts i used especially with different tips. But i failed to use it with small 48 BGA flash chips, it either blows it from PCB or does not bring enough power to properly set to float.
So i got Quick 861DW and i like it better so far.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 01:10:09 am by Samogon »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 01:01:28 am »
It looks like polystyrene to me.

Offline ttelectronic

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 01:33:32 am »
What plastics are those? Polystyrene, ABS, PET, polycarbonate or something else?
My guess would be the same as everyone else. It was only marked with a part number. It was a darn shame. It had absolutely no flex and cracked right away. Was hoover carpet cleaner attachment. They have an incredible amount of torque for an air powered brush and I was thinking what a wonderful piece of engineering it was let down by brittle clear plastic in bad places.

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 02:54:55 pm »
Just a followup to this with a resolution. The ebay seller did ship me a new unit and I am firmly convinced this is a genuine Quick 861DW.  Even though I had the unit for six months they provided a brand new one after sending the old one back.

On the unfortunate side is that the factory/manufacturer provides no support for these.
My questions directly to the manufacturer in China go unanswered. 
My request for repairs parts to the US authorized distributors resulted in a request for the picture of the broken part and that resulted in silence.

So I would say these are good while they work. You better hope you never need any spare parts for repair.

--Victor

Offline rosak

• Contributor
    • Instrument cluster repairs
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2020, 10:45:52 am »
The same thing has happened to me:

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2020, 02:12:39 pm »
Good to know. The Quick 861DW appears to work well when new.
I know Louis Rossmann and Dave gave them a very good review, but Louis' and Dave's reviews are based on testing brand new units out of the box.
My problem with this unit is the air impeller is very weak (IMO) and the polystyrene is overly stressed on the motor shaft causing it to crack.
The other issue is the manufacturer in China ignores all parts requests. Authorized dealers in the US will not provide the impeller or even the blower.

So we have two options:
1. Jury-rig something - I.e. cobble some makeshift fix (something I don't like doing).
2. Buy another because this manufacturers models are throw away items.

--Victor

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf