Author Topic: Repair suggestions for cracked Fluke 87V screen protector  (Read 5770 times)

Offline nikkodericTopic starter

• Contributor
  • We're all human, we're just like you man.
Repair suggestions for cracked Fluke 87V screen protector
« on: April 14, 2016, 04:35:02 pm »
Hi community!

I'm a Fluke fan  ;) and I'm very glad to have a Fluke 87V multimeter as an ECE undergraduate student, so when I realized that I cracked the screen protector of my multimeter after I cleaned it I got very  :(    :-- . I just want to ask if there's anything that I can do to fix this (or make it less visible) without buying an entire front case replacement. I'm from Philippines so buying a replacement would be very hard and expensive (almost impossible) for me.

I thought Fluke multimeters are almost indestructible.  ::)

Thanks for your help. =)

Offline Jonny

• Regular Contributor
Re: Repair suggestions for cracked Fluke 87V screen protector
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 09:53:25 am »
What about an automotive glass windshield repair kit? It's OCA UV cured resin you force into the crack. I'd guess about $15 at an auto parts shop.
Jonny

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 04:42:52 am »
if the print is on the case, not backprinted on the clear section, i would be tempted to ask a glass shop to make a 3mm hardened glass replacement wih rounded corners and bevelled edges

the piece is so small that they could use a bit of scrap from the bin - so you would only be paying for the cutting and grinding.

the car windshield stuff wont work, they have to put a small vac chamber over the glass and suck the air out to use that resin.

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 06:16:04 pm »
Be contacting the repair agents close to you to see if it's covered by warranty.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline nikkodericTopic starter

• Contributor
  • We're all human, we're just like you man.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 06:04:29 pm »
Thanks for suggestions! I'll give the windshield repair a try since we actually have a vacuum chamber. Having someone to recreate the screen protector is actually a very good idea. I'll definitely do it if the windshield repair yield unsatisfactory result or we cant, after all. The multi meter is actually a second hand one and sold to me without manual and warranty "documents" so I don't think it can still be repaired under warranty.

Thanks again! =D

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 07:12:58 pm »
Have a look at the small kits that are used for repair "on the go" as they include a small suction cup that is fitted to the syringe applicator and which is pulled back to make a pressure pulse of liquid that is forced into the clean crack to fill it before you do the UV cure. On glass it is almost invisible after repair.

Offline JFJ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 09:41:54 pm »
There was a used Fluke 87V top case on eBay, a few weeks ago, with a crack in the same place. If the cracks are due to an inherent weakness in the case design, then it may be worth reporting it to Fluke.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf