Author Topic: Repairing a slightly water damaged Nikon D610 DSLR  (Read 9510 times)

Offline musicloverdenonTopic starter

• Contributor
Repairing a slightly water damaged Nikon D610 DSLR
« on: February 21, 2017, 11:17:51 am »
Hi Folks,

I am trying to troubleshoot and repair a Nikon D610 camera which had a very slight water damage and it's not turning on at all.
I opened the camera and cleaned all PCBs properly. There were very slight corrosions at couple of places.
I tested for shorts after cleaning and don't find any short with multimeter. The DC/DC board outputting around 3V with battery connected. However, once the output is connected to Main PCB, voltage drops to 0.5V.
I can't find any schematic of the camera or starting point to refer to how much power at which point I should get.
Does any of you have any experience with D610 repair? It's similar to Nikon D600 model.
Below few pics of the PCB board to show its condition.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:49:54 pm by musicloverdenon »

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Repairing a slightly water damaged Nikon D610 DSLR
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 11:58:06 am »
I'd lift the yellow tape first. That will trap moisture. There's probably a nasty surprise under it somewhere. Looking at oxidation marks on the copper parts suggest this has been sitting around for a bit.

TBH this will be the first battle of many. Mechanically it may be beyond repair which is what happened to my old D70 when it got wet.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:00:27 pm by SingedFingers »

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 01:16:16 pm »
Thanks @SingedFingers for the response.
Yes, I lifted one of the yellow tape and found everything clean. So didn't suspect anything wrong under other tapes given that surroundings are very clean. However, as you advised, still I'll check again, just to make sure.

The camera was working fine after 5 days drying under rice bag. It worked fine for 1 and half month around and then started giving problem with On/Off mechanism. It was then sent to Nikon repair who concluded it to be un-economical to repair. You are right, it was lying at Nikon centre for almost 3 months and now not switching on at all after coming back.

I have added 3 more photos. All the photos except the 2nd one (DC power board) is taken before any cleaning. There was some oxidation on two corner-most Caps near screw hole on DC power board which I have cleaned now to a great extent. Also, since I was not sure if 3V output from DC power board is fine given that it's supplied with 7V battery, I ordered a replacement DC power board.
I can't see any burnt/damaged component anywhere on any board under 20X microscope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 01:22:54 pm by musicloverdenon »

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 02:37:36 pm »
Do you know how to unseat all the flat ribbon cables? "ALL". Use plastic pry to unlatch it and lift. Then wipe all copper contacts and sockets with IPA then allow to dry. Can speed it up with hair dryer. Worth a try.

By the way, the photos look great, color rendering is good. What camera you used and under what lighting?

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 02:46:20 pm »
Is that a crack on the flex flat cable? careful on these custom cables.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 03:06:14 pm »
Thanks @Armadillo. No, there is no crack or damage on the cable. I was also suspicious when I looked at the photo later on. However, physically found to be in clean and perfect condition.
These photos taken from iPhone 6 :)
So far, I have opened and cleaned main PCB, DC power board and flash charging PCB (found on top) with IPA. All the ribbons look clean in the front so didn't open them.
I saw one service manual for Nikon D3 which illustrates all the connection and how to open them and assemble back. However, not able to find any service manual for D600 or D610. It seems Nikon made those service manuals only till models made in Japan.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 03:11:29 pm »
after 5 days drying under rice bag.
:palm:

Hate to break it to you, but sinkers usually are goners. You are in a rabbit-hole quest here. I'd probably start with finding service manual for D600/D610 which shows every part and their location, carefully disassemble of all and every electronic part in the order (with thorough documentation which screw, wire, locker, board, cable go in each case!) and then giving good ultrasonic bath of electronic boards and cables. Then using microscope to reveal any corrosion, damaged traces/vias/pads/pins... that's a rough luck with ultrafine BGAs though. In the end result, you still likely to end up with flawed camera, as alignment of some parts, like sensor, viewfinder, focusing stuff will be out and it will not be calibrated as originally was, meaning out of focus areas on image, flares, light bleeds, and all the kind of weird and wonderful stuff..

Perhaps much better chance is getting another mechanically damaged D610, and using electronic parts from there.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 03:33:25 pm »
Pffff rice method. Bye bye camera. The dust off the rice is airborne and glues the shit out of everything. Bin it.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 02:12:42 pm »
I am waiting for the DC power board to arrive. It'll take around 20 more days to reach I guess. Not loosing hope till then. Will keep you guys updated.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 02:14:56 pm »
Good luck

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 02:15:59 pm »
Pffff rice method. Bye bye camera. The dust off the rice is airborne and glues the shit out of everything. Bin it.
I looked at it through microscope with 20X magnification. There is no trace of any such dust. So let's see.
I was wondering if anybody can provide some pointers regarding main PCB voltage so that I can check it by the time replacement DC powerboard arrives. D600/610 service manual is nowhere to be found. Have been trying since few days.

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2017, 04:28:13 pm »
after 5 days drying under rice bag.
:palm:

Hate to break it to you, but sinkers usually are goners. You are in a rabbit-hole quest here. I'd probably start with finding service manual for D600/D610 which shows every part and their location, carefully disassemble of all and every electronic part in the order (with thorough documentation which screw, wire, locker, board, cable go in each case!) and then giving good ultrasonic bath of electronic boards and cables. Then using microscope to reveal any corrosion, damaged traces/vias/pads/pins... that's a rough luck with ultrafine BGAs though. In the end result, you still likely to end up with flawed camera, as alignment of some parts, like sensor, viewfinder, focusing stuff will be out and it will not be calibrated as originally was, meaning out of focus areas on image, flares, light bleeds, and all the kind of weird and wonderful stuff..

Perhaps much better chance is getting another mechanically damaged D610, and using electronic parts from there.

Oh @TiN, it's you!!! This post title seems to have attracted few camera lovers. Many people might have done DSLR repair, but how many have written a detailed explanation online? Your D3 tear down story must be an inspiration to many.

I have ordered DC power board complete with frame including DC driver board and sockets board. Below is the link of item:
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1485012277.html

Hope it'll arrive with all the components they have mentioned.
I am planning to open the camera only as much required to replace this frame. Hopefully, they may not impact alignment. However, I am not sure. I am not there yet. Let's see.
Whether the camera works or not. It had been a nice experience opening and looking inside a DSLR.

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2017, 04:52:24 pm »
Did they say that it is NEW working parts?

Still time to consider again.

My advise, not worth the gamble from used parts from.. you know where?

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2017, 05:04:17 pm »
They say it's tested working, 95% new. It's already on the way.

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 08:33:08 pm »
I managed to save a video camera that got drenched in seawater. A PCB fuse blew up. Had a lot of cleaning but it worked. Had the service manual so I knew where to probe.

Are you sure electro Tanya and others don't have a service manual or schematics?

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 12:32:28 am »

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 08:56:18 pm »
Update:
DC power board definitely has problem. Corrosion seems to have eaten into solder of couple of flex cable connector pins. The flex cable connects to Driver board. I tried to solder it again. Put back everything and switch on. Now the viewfinder is showing just a low battery symbol. Nothing else. Even after connecting lens. Battery is half charged and working fine with my D7000.
Card reading green signal in back comes when I put SD card.
Also, after this soldering, DC power board outputting 7V instead of earlier 3V.
Does this low battery symbol indicate a problem with main PCB?

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 09:50:06 pm »
Taking the D300 as a reference; what would be your current draw comparison particular when its OFF?

D300

D700

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:02:04 pm by Armadillo »

The following users thanked this post: musicloverdenon

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 05:09:29 pm »
Update: Thanks Armadillo for the reference. Unfortunately, I could not find points to test current in Main PCB. It's very tightly packed with covered traces. Also, I was not getting 7V at few places in main PCB, so I went to test DC/DC power board again.
There are 6 connections to DC-DC power board as below:
1) upper body - containing upper display, flash, on-off and other control buttons
2) DC driver board - Drives the sensor
3) Main PCB - Also, all other parts connect to main PCB for instructions and feedback.
4, 5 and 6) Connect to front body, Shutter and Mirror.

I am getting 7V output on 1, 2 and 3 now. However, negligible voltage on connectors 4,5 and 6 with voltage line shorted to GND. These connections share same line and in the path of two capacitors I think might be causing short. Pls refer to the attached pics. I have highlighted connections with 7V output in Green, Connections with no output in Red and doubtful capacitors in yellow. These two capacitors had all the corrosion on it. These are too small to be replaced easily.

My theory, since, main PCB is not getting voltage feedback from front body parts, it's causing the low battery error. Main PCB should be working as it's behaving as expected. Also, upper body parts getting power that's why upper display and on-off buttons working. When I insert battery, a low battery indicator symbol comes and stays on top left corner. Nothing else. When I try to switch on camera. It gets into a start loop. Low battery indicator starts flashing, green back-light of upper display flashes and everything switches off. Again, the low battery indicator comes, start flashing, green back-light and off. It continues till I switch the button off. Once off, stable symbol of low battery indicator comes in the corner and stays.

To this point, it looks like changing DC-DC board should solve the problem. Or at least I can't troubleshoot further till my replacement DC-DC power board arrives.

This camera had no power at all when I got it. At least it came till some power state from no power  ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:08:53 am by musicloverdenon »

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 05:59:28 pm »
Update 2:
I received the replacement power  distribution board and driver power board.
Replaced it and bingo, Camera is turning on. All the menus working. Tried sensor clean through menu and it worked.

However, the bad news. There is an error message flashing on upper LCD showing "Err". And obviously, I am not able to take photographs too.
Reading online about this error code I find that it causes mostly because of communication problem with the shutter.

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 06:10:11 pm »
I was checking with a local camera repair shop about my issue while I was waiting for the replacement board to arrive. He said that camera won't work even after replacing the board and it needs to be programmed for it to work.
Do any of you have any experience regarding this? What sort of programming is done after changing such boards?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf