Author Topic: Repairing LG Soundbar  (Read 3839 times)

Offline ruzfactorTopic starter

Repairing LG Soundbar
« on: November 19, 2017, 10:18:08 pm »
Hello all,

I have recently purchased a LG soundbar from an auction site. After  connecting it to mains, it was not powering up. I decided to open it and found out that there was pin missing from the connector. Pleas refer to the picture. I tried with a staple and it was working.

I do not possess much knowledge in electronics. That is why I am seeking your assistance. Can anyone please tell me if that connector (circled in the picture) has a particular terminology? Where can I buy this component from? Will that match the connecting cable? If that can be replaced, the soundbar will work again. So, I would have to remove the solder.
Many thanks.

Offline ovnr

• Frequent Contributor
  • Lurker
Re: Repairing LG Soundbar
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 11:03:30 pm »
I was unable to locate the exact connector right off the bat. Please take a clear picture of the mating connector as well, and measure the pin to pin spacing. That'll make it easier to find a matching connector.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 11:22:27 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I have attached two pictures, hope they will help to identify the connector. The pin to pin distance is around 8mm.

Offline ovnr

• Frequent Contributor
  • Lurker
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 12:39:08 am »
Hmmm. A bit stumped on that one, to be honest.

See if the connector has any manufacturer logos or the like molded in.

Another option is to just replace the entire connector, both on the board and on the cable. Since you probably don't have the tools to crimp a new connector on, that's a little bit iffy, however.

Offline jaycee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 01:29:00 am »
Dont know the exact name for the connector but they are very commonly used for this job inside TV's and other consumer gear.
I would personally remove the connector entirely and just solder the incoming mains wire to the board. The connector is only there to ease assembly. The Live wire should go to the side where the Fuse is.

Offline edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 02:51:01 am »
When a pin comes out like that, the logical place for it to be is inside the connector.  Did you look there?

Even if you can't find the original pin, it might be easier to find a pin the right size and solder it in place than try and replace the connector.

Ed

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 02:16:17 pm »
Many thanks for the suggestions.

I did look inside the connector, no pin was there. It looked like a manufacturing defect. Also, I could not find any manufacturer logo as well.

I am still searching in the internet.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 02:40:56 pm »
I did look inside the connector, no pin was there. It looked like a manufacturing defect. Also, I could not find any manufacturer logo as well.

This is inside connector, right? Other option to consider is just to discard socket/plug and solder both wires directly to the PCB.

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 03:06:36 pm »
Can't you desolder the male out and insert a new pin into the missing slot.???
Extract one of such pin from picture below for example.
After you resoldered the male connector back to the pcb, it will be solid strong there.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:08:41 pm by Armadillo »

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 03:27:03 pm »

If you have right pin - then indeed. Otherwise you will risk having poor connection.

This exact one is not right one - too thin.

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 03:56:48 pm »
If you have soldering iron you can remove the connector and solder the wires directly to the pads no problemo.  :phew:

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 04:18:48 pm »

If you have right pin - then indeed. Otherwise you will risk having poor connection.

This exact one is not right one - too thin.

Innovative means taking a positive idea into fruition other than finding some negative reasons just to retard.
Too thin, find a thicker one  ;D
Portability of connectivity was the reason of the design in putting the connectors in the first place isn't it.  Cheers ! :D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 04:30:15 pm by Armadillo »

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 05:10:39 pm »
Too thin, find a thicker one  ;D

Seems to be right one :)

Portability of connectivity was the reason of the design in putting the connectors in the first place isn't it.  Cheers ! :D

Connectors inside the device is not about connectivity, portability or usability but manufacturability and servicability ;) If you remove connector and still are able to successfully assemble device - do not see any problem here.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:33:29 pm by ogden »

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 03:55:19 am »
Yeah might as well remove it unless it makes servicing or reassembly difficult. Like Ogden said (if one is familiar and competent to do so.)

Of course if one has few connectors around or can get ones easily and cheap :popcorn:  might as well go that route.

Btw some plastic connectors are not very heat resistant so one should be careful soldering them in.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 04:04:56 am by Bashstreet »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 12:04:04 pm »
you could search for mta156 connectors, take the pins out and solder a new one,  you have to get the right size of the pin, if not  solder it directly on the board,    not getting the right size pins will make bad contacts and consume more current ...

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 12:31:31 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions.

I could not find the connector. But here's what I did:

Apparently, there is a hole adjacent to one of the pin holes. The distance between these two holes was close to a 5mm pitch. I found a terminal block that fits within those two holes. I bent one of the pins towards the other hole, and soldered. I hope it will work, as yet to test that.

Offline ogden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 10:56:46 pm »
Apparently, there is a hole adjacent to one of the pin holes. The distance between these two holes was close to a 5mm pitch. I found a terminal block that fits within those two holes. I bent one of the pins towards the other hole, and soldered. I hope it will work, as yet to test that.

Nice job! Please let us know the results.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf