Author Topic: replace faulty DSP in a VSX-922  (Read 7186 times)

Offline HB9EVITopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
replace faulty DSP in a VSX-922
« on: October 22, 2018, 06:56:09 pm »
I'm currently looking at a failing Pioneer VSX-922 AV-receiver due to a buggy DSP by Ti; the problem is well known under the error code 'UE22' showing up on the display.

Now I need to know, if it's enough just to replace the DSP chip or is there any firmware/code stored in the broken one?
The threads on the web show no clear information about that, and so far it seems nobody tried yet a reparation as DIY.

Does anyone know something about that?

Offline mzacharias

• Frequent Contributor
Re: replace faulty DSP in a VSX-922
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 10:50:34 am »
Pretty sure the UE22 error was caused by a corrupted EEprom - that was Pioneer's explanation anyway. They had no fix except to replace the board. They were happy to sell a new UNPROGRAMMED EEprom, which of course didn't fix anything. That IC is a little surface-mount job.

New boards were in the 500.00 range.

My guess is they didn't sell many boards. We bought lots of them for warranty replacements for those and similar models; and were re-reimbursed on the warranty claims.

By that time Pioneer's tech and engineering support was next to non-existent, so I can't vouch for their accuracy.

The following users thanked this post: HB9EVI

Offline HB9EVITopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 02:58:30 pm »
Well, that does sound like I can throw the device when the day with no sound coming out of it comes.

That really sucks, since changing the chip'd be really no big thing

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 01:56:40 pm »
afaik this might be as well DSP degrading error, es described here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2066818-ue22-error-master-thread-pioneer-you-listening.html

I do play actually with Pioneer SC-86, which after UE22 error after factory reset does not switch any output anymore.
Currently thinking to order two new DSPs, TMS320DA808 (D808K013DPTP4), unfortunately hard to find no-fakes.

EDIT: definitely, when trying to fix UE22 with "firmware upgrade" with broken DSPs the content of SPI flash will be overwritten with corrupt data. I programmed proper firmware into SPI flash (dumped from working AVR), powered up (and as DSPs are broken still not all function) did upgrade and checked what inside, and it was only damaged data, so yeah, one have to replace DSPs first.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 10:37:59 am by tinhead »
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline ccoutts

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 10:16:47 pm »
Sorry to dredge up this 4 year old topic, but HB9EVI, did you ever get your VSX-922 working? I'm in the same boat, and need to find the eeprom file from a working VSX-922 to reflash to mine after replacing the big DSP chip.

Cheers
Chris

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf