Author Topic: Replacement 3.5mm stereo jack  (Read 1505 times)

Offline MrQuadeharTopic starter

Replacement 3.5mm stereo jack
« on: July 14, 2017, 11:47:26 pm »
Hello Ladies and Gents,
 i need to replace my laptop headphone jack of my asus r753ux. I desoldered it and used the search engine from digikey but i didn't find it. Maybe one of you know the model numer of the jack. Size is approx. : 15 mm x 10 mm x 5 mm, seven pins. Mounded inside a cutout in the main board and then soldered through-hole (kind of). Sadly, there is nothing printed on it. I have attached some photos of the device <http://imgur.com/a/nVfZY>
Thanks in advance
MrQuadehar
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 12:49:26 am by MrQuadehar »

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
Re: Replacement 2.5mm stereo jack
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 12:27:53 am »
First, you almost certainly have a 3.5mm jack, not a 2.5mm jack. So you might have marginally better success searching for the proper part.

That said, finding an exact match for a rather obscure connector like that seems pretty slim.  You may have to replace the whole main board, or at least get a non-functional "donor" board and do a connector transplant. 

Louis Rossman has a quite successful repair business and YouTube channel where he keeps a "junk-yard" of old laptop main boards and regularly repairs units for customers by removing parts from "donor" boards and transplanting them to accomplish the repair.

Offline MrQuadeharTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 12:40:18 am »
Thank you for your fast response. Yes, of course its a 3.5mm that was a typo. Maybe i try to squeeze an off the shelf jack i have lying around into the laptop case and bodge the connections with fine wires. Changing the whole board is most likely not an option for me as i'm on a very tight budget.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 12:43:13 am »
Do you have any possibility of access to discarded laptop hardware where you are?  If you could find a discarded non-functioning similar model, you could probably transplant the connector.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
Re: Replacement 3.5mm stereo jack
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 05:03:18 am »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/audio-Jack-Interface-for-Laptop-32-types-set-each-2pcs-total-64pcs-audio-jack-/301437029668

hehe

edit:
but seriously, your connector is in related searches on ebay listed at $2
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 05:15:46 am by Rasz »
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf