Author Topic: Restoring my Marantz 2220  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Jamebonds1Topic starter

Restoring my Marantz 2220
« on: June 09, 2018, 06:05:44 pm »
A years ago, I had purchased my Marantz 2220 for $15 since it is non working stereo.  I got it running and it work well, but I need new capacitor since I'm seeing leak and can hear like oscilloscope line are sine wave that bounce into zero as it were no capacitor at all.    I'm in searching for new aluminum electrolytic capacitors for the audio.  I want high grade capacitor and it has to be polar.  Any recommended audio capacitor? 

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: Restoring my Marantz 2220
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 06:10:56 am »
Capacitors and audio, it can start religious wars.

Nichicon has specialty audio electrolytic capacitors "MUSE" KZ series with silk dielectric.
Pretty packaging, only 85C rated and I'm kind of skeptical that they perform any better beyond psychology.

I use Panasonic FC and FM is also good. I would recommend for them low cost re-capping.

Do not melt the dial cord with your soldering iron ;)

I have a 2252B to recap, just haven't had time

edit: added Nichicon product line map
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:40:56 pm by floobydust »

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 07:39:07 am »
Capacitors and audio, it can start religious wars.

Nichicon has specialty audio electrolytic capacitors "MUSE" KZ series with silk dielectric.
Pretty packaging, only 85C rated and I'm kind of skeptical that they perform any better beyond psychology.

I use Panasonic FC and FM is also good. I would recommend for them low cost re-capping.

Do not melt the dial cord with your soldering iron ;)

I have a 2252B to recap, just haven't had time

Actually, money for recap is no obligation.  85C have mean nothing to me since I won't running at 85C.  I just want high grade capacitor. 

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 11:06:33 am »
85C have mean nothing to me since I won't running at 85C.  I just want high grade capacitor.

You should care, though, actually...

Even at lower temperatures, a capacitor rated for a minimum operational lifetime of X hours at 105C will last longer than the same-lifetime-length-rated 85C part.  One rated for that same X hours at 125C will last even longer at typical 40-50C actual running temperature, etc.

Are these the main power supply reservoir capacitors that you are talking about?

Offline cheeseit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 06:21:05 pm »
Nichicon KZ might (by some) be considered best, apart from maybe (expensive) niche/boutique brands and Black Gate etc., but are somewhat limited in available values. Nichicon FG (Fine Gold) is a good alternative, and considered 'hi-fi grade' whatever that is worth, and is available in a wide range of values. Both Nichicon FG and Panasonic FC/FM will in all likelihood not disappoint. Elna Silmic is another option, and with silk too.

Electrolytic caps, or just capacitors in general, in audio is a religion, just like opamps, surrounded by myth and superstition, backed by.... No, no, hornets nest.. Chances are that you most likely won't hear a difference between quality caps.

Buy whatever you decide on from a reputable seller, like Mouser, Digikey etc. and not potential fakes from some random eBay seller.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 01:11:04 am »
85C have mean nothing to me since I won't running at 85C.  I just want high grade capacitor.

You should care, though, actually...

Even at lower temperatures, a capacitor rated for a minimum operational lifetime of X hours at 105C will last longer than the same-lifetime-length-rated 85C part.  One rated for that same X hours at 125C will last even longer at typical 40-50C actual running temperature, etc.

Are these the main power supply reservoir capacitors that you are talking about?

No, they are not an power supply capacitor.  This is filter circuit, i'm talk about.  Plus, it is not ever running at over 30 C.  I just need a recommend branded capacitor you know? 

Nichicon KZ might (by some) be considered best, apart from maybe (expensive) niche/boutique brands and Black Gate etc., but are somewhat limited in available values. Nichicon FG (Fine Gold) is a good alternative, and considered 'hi-fi grade' whatever that is worth, and is available in a wide range of values. Both Nichicon FG and Panasonic FC/FM will in all likelihood not disappoint. Elna Silmic is another option, and with silk too.

Electrolytic caps, or just capacitors in general, in audio is a religion, just like opamps, surrounded by myth and superstition, backed by.... No, no, hornets nest.. Chances are that you most likely won't hear a difference between quality caps.

Buy whatever you decide on from a reputable seller, like Mouser, Digikey etc. and not potential fakes from some random eBay seller.

You mean UKZ?  Newer one? 

Offline cheeseit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 09:15:22 am »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf