Author Topic: HP 853A, can't get it open?!  (Read 1124 times)

Offline aq9Topic starter

HP 853A, can't get it open?!
« on: October 19, 2017, 02:39:34 am »
I just got one of these, however, I am already stuck.  I have the operation and "service" manual, but there does not seem to be a case opening procedure in it.  It looks like I have to remove the handle first to slide the cover off, but I am unsure on how to do that, and I don't want to force it.  The usual procedure of setting the handle to vertical and separating it does not work, and the handle does not seem to have a cover hiding any screws...

Some help, please?

Offline peter198400000

• peter 1984
Re: HP 853A, can't get it open?!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 08:18:10 am »
if u refer to the HP Spectrum Analyzer 853A?just pull to the opposite direction?to make the two fix points out their slots, and meanwhile,rotate the handle to different  position,there must be one position that can have it out?
hope i can have a new life in other country one day.give me less and give me longer

Offline peter198400000

• peter 1984
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 08:21:14 am »
pardon my poor english,hope u can catch my meaning :palm:
hope i can have a new life in other country one day.give me less and give me longer

Offline aq9Topic starter

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 12:17:30 am »
Answering my own question;  yes the handle needs to come off first.  If you consult page 6/37 and 6/38 of the "Parts List", there is a exploded view of the the chassis plus handle.  From this, I inferred that you need to lever off the "trim cap" over the handle ends (careful!  the plastic is very brittle at this age...).  Underneath, you will find 3 screws, and upon removing those (plus the cap and screws on the other side), the handle comes off.  At this point, loosening the screws at the back will allow you to slide off the top/bottom cover, as you may expect.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf