Author Topic: Rigol DP832 power supply faulty out of the box  (Read 3693 times)

Offline hazmomentTopic starter

• Contributor
Rigol DP832 power supply faulty out of the box
« on: May 24, 2017, 08:52:14 am »
So Im in the market for a variable power supply and thought I'd spend the extra dollars and get the rigol DP832 over some other more basic cheaper units I was lookong at. It arrived yesterday and switched it on, no loads connected, channel 2 & 3 seem to work sweet, channel 1 however does not output the preset voltage. The actual voltage at the terminals should be displayed on the LCD screen, but reads 0V no matter what the preset voltage is set to, and displays UR (unregulated) where the other channels display CV, or CC. It seems there is a fault preventing channel one from supplying any voltage/current whatsoever. The place i bought it from are suggesting I fix it and they reimburse me for it. Has anyone experienced this same problem with these power supplies? I understand they are a good
power supply whilst they are working but have heard of a few faults with blowing series pass transistors etc when shorting the terminals (even though they should be current limiting) I dont want to be having to
open and fix a brand new lab grade power supply i payed good money for, especially because itll void my warranty. Interested to hear peoples thoughts on what the issue could be.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DP832 power supply faulty out of the box
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 09:23:32 am »
If you didn't already, do factory reset first. (when "Default" is selected in Utility > System > Power On, restarting the power supply will be restored to the factory settings).
That should reset OVP/OCP.
Also with a separate voltmeter measure output to see if there is really 0V on output.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 10:08:35 am »
Thanks for the reply. I just tried this. unfortunately yields the same results after start up. Thanks for the suggestion

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 10:42:05 am »
The place i bought it from are suggesting I fix it and they reimburse me for it.
If a sales person told me this, I'd immediately see a red flag. If you open up the device within the warranty period, the warranty is void - no matter whether you were reparing it or not. The sales person can always fall back on the argument that your repair damaged it. You cannot prove otherwise while the sales person can easily prove that you opened it. You lose.

With that, I'd either get a written statement that your repair won't void warranty or demand that they fix/replace the unit.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 11:26:46 am »
Absolutely. I have been in touch with the Ali Express seller and explained that I do not want to void the warranty and am waiting to hear back their suggestions on how to proceed. Best case scenario is they pay for shipping to and from china and have Rigol inspect and repair the unit. However the fact they are suggesting I fix it and they reimburse me indicates they are trying to back out of taking responsibility over shipping and repairing it. I will certainly aim for having the brand new unit returned and repaired/replaced. However if I dont get the backing through Ali Express I was just curious as to wether anyone else had one of these power supplies with issues similar to this one. Its possible something has occured during transit and could be a simple fix. I have to say its hard to resist the temptation to open it up and see whats occurring.

Offline abraxa

• Frequent Contributor
  • Sigrok associate
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 12:41:24 pm »
The amount they want to reimburse plays a role here, too. If they're essentially willing to refund the unit's price while you get to keep the broken unit, I'd go for it. But not sure if that's what they really mean. Worth getting clarification on what reimbursing here really means :)

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 12:01:19 am »
Where do you live? The cheapest price I see on Aliexpress is about $475 US shipped, it is cheaper to get it from tequipment ($445 shipped after discount).
I would open it up if you are comfortable getting the warranty void sticker off (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-799-how-to-remove-warranty-void-security-stickers/). Just to look around.

Check the seller guarantees in the aliexpress listing, it is likely this:
If the product you receive is not as described or low quality, the seller promises that you may return it before order completion (when you click ‘Confirm Order Received’ or exceed confirmation timeframe) and receive a full refund. The return shipping fee will be paid by you. Or, you can choose to keep the product and agree the refund amount directly with the seller.

Which means you'd be paying ~$50 to send it back. Unless the seller agrees otherwise.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 12:29:22 am »
Its about $750USD inc shipping to little old New Zealand from TEquipment.
Cheers for link for the thread on removing the stickers!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf