Author Topic: R&S CMU200 front module upgrade (FMR5 to FMR6). Possible?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline VelundTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
R&S CMU200 front module upgrade (FMR5 to FMR6). Possible?
« on: September 01, 2017, 01:43:32 pm »
Hello!

I have older CMU200 unit with FMR5 (AMD-based) processor board, very "tired" LCD backlight and keyboard, and a number of other blemishes. PS/2 keyboard port on the back of instrument. Got offer for a complete front with FMR6 (Celeron) from unit being parted, that also have PS/2 on the back.

Is it possible to simply swap front modules (FMR5 to FMR6) and have a working unit? Is serial number of unit stored somewhere on motherboard or CPU board have the serial "on the board"?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:43:22 pm by Velund »

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
Re: R&S CMU200 front module upgrade (FMR5 to FMR6). Possible?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 04:48:56 pm »
Hi,

I am by no means the best person to reply, but I think you can actually swap the module - it is just a PC, by all means.

Even if it is not compatible, it would probably be worth it for the LCD alone... Depending of the price.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline eb4eqa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:06:10 pm »
Hi,

It will work. I have interchanged them and found no issues.

If your main issue is the backlight, you may very well find another aged one in the replacement front panel. What I recommend is to upgrade the backlight to LED. Amazing improvement:

http://www.rbarrios.com/projects/LCD2LED/

Regards,
Roberto

Offline VelundTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 09:31:25 pm »
Hi,

It will work. I have interchanged them and found no issues.

Replaced it yesterday, with moving old HDD from FMR5 to FMR6. No problems observed. Backlight is way brighter that I had on FMR5 (almost unusable with a daylighjt during sunny day).

Another problem was keyboard - after a week without use, keys (especially the row under the display), stoped to work at all. I had to "massage" each key until it started to work. Cleaning conductive pads with alcohol, using soft cloth, helped not so much.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf