Author Topic: R&S CMU200/CRTU-RU: How to backup entire HDD?  (Read 9012 times)

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Re: R&S CMU200/CRTU-RU: How to backup entire HDD?
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 04:39:40 pm »

Or, in those same cases: Any Linux distro. That's all that Startech box will be anyway, most likely.

dd is 100% reliable if the drive is working.
no it is not. the startech box uses a small microcontroller (it's a simple 8 bit processor )
The startech box can clone drives with bad sectors. or weird layouts. it does not care about file systems.
even 'protected' drives with tracks or sectors deliberately corrupted get copied correctly. all it does is read byte / write byte. from track0 head 0  to the end of the drive.

An 8-bit micro handling ATA controllers? That's novel. Probably slow, too..

And if you do a little research: dd and ddrescue do not care about filesystems. Yes, you're hearing me right: The Big Bad Linux Monster can do things low level and simple.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 04:50:56 pm »
Indeed...  dd is an exact sector-by-sector copier unless you tell it to do otherwise.  For small damaged source disks/partitions/files you can just do it all in single sector mode:

dd if=<source> of=<destination> conv=sync,noerror bs=512

The bs=512 should be optional since that is the default, but you might need to specify a blocksize explicitly it if, for example, the source is a CD where you would need 2048 as that is the actual sector size.  Many newer hard disks use 4096 byte sectors, though they can "emulate" 512-byte sector accesses.

The sync,noerror conversion types mean fill with NULLs if I can't read a spot instead of truncating the file (and you DON'T WANT it to truncate if you are copying a whole disk, obviously!!) and continue copying after an error.

With large disks, though, copying the whole thing one 512-byte sector at a time is going to be incredibly slow so it is better to copy in 128k blocks (or whatever the maximum block size is for the OS you're on) first, THEN go back and fill in the spots that are missing 512-bytes at a time. 

This can be done manually using the iseek= and oseek= (seek / skip) options in conjunction with the count= option to put missing bits in specified places but there is the ddrescue tool which does it for you automatically, reading in big chunks first then automatically going back and retrying missing bits afterwards, keeping track of where it is in case you have to abort and resume later, etc.  VERY handy. 

ddrescue has been included in the base FreeBSD system for years but should easily be available on pretty much any platform and is definitely the way to go if you are trying to image a failing drive.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 04:59:53 pm by drussell »

Offline Papa_O

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2022, 01:47:14 pm »
I know this is an old thread. I have a Rohde & Schwarz CRTU-RU with a dead hard drive. I was wondering if anyone could help with a hard drive image. Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf