Author Topic: Samsung fridge  (Read 1969 times)

Offline akisTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Samsung fridge
« on: July 30, 2018, 10:00:22 am »
Our 6 month old Samsung fridge has developed what looks like dirt depositing on the inside surfaces, bright white and glass interior and dark, smoke like deposits. The freezer compartment is OK, it's the fridge section on the right that has this. We have cleaned it a few times and it comes back after a while. It leaves a black residue on a cloth when you wipe it clean.

My suspicion is the air that circulates in the fridge compartment is somehow contaminated, and further can it be something like oil from a motor or gears or bearings getting blown into the compartment and leaving those deposits.

I attach some photos.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Samsung fridge
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 10:58:57 am »

It looks to me like some kind of fungus growth. I'd be inclined to give it a through cleaning with a disinfectant solution and also check the evaporation tray on top of the compressor for signs of this as well and treat that in the same fashion. 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 11:07:15 am »
A couple more photos

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 02:32:10 pm »
Any moisture that would indicate an air leak?

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 02:37:54 pm »
Does the fridge have a fan with a charcoal filter? Fan blowing charcoal from a broken filter?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 03:19:56 pm »
Does the fridge have a fan with a charcoal filter? Fan blowing charcoal from a broken filter?

Wonderful idea. Would it not be a serviceable part though ? I have not noticed an access door or panel to allow access. I will download the service manual.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 03:34:25 pm »
Some manufacturers use a fan and filter to remove odors from the inside of the fridge. There must be a visible inlet and outlet somewhere inside the fridge. The filter should be a serviceable item (but who knows with Samsung?).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 03:49:30 pm »
There is cold air circulation from many vents. There is nothing in the manual about an air filter. I have contacted Samsung who have requested photos. Let's see what they say.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 03:54:02 pm »
I have never seen a fan a fridge before, as this is a fridge freezer, any fan would be located within the freezer compartment. Fridges are normally sealed apart from a drain hole at the back through which any moisture should drain away into the evaparaption  tray on top of the compressor. Check to make sure that this hole is not blocked up.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 04:23:52 pm »
If this is mold it maybe toxic but needs to be sent to a lab for analysis. I'd clean it immediately or replace the fridge.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 04:36:57 pm »
If this is mold it maybe toxic but needs to be sent to a lab for analysis. I'd clean it immediately or replace the fridge.
It's still under warranty.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 04:39:03 pm »
I have never seen a fan a fridge before
You need to look at more fridges!  I have seen several that have a circulation fan in the fridge compartment.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 04:41:04 pm »
I have never seen a fan a fridge before
You need to look at more fridges!  I have seen several that have a circulation fan in the fridge compartment.
Nah, better things to do, no time for checking fridges other than mine [emoji38]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 04:46:00 pm »
If it's under warranty, check with the dealer or manufacture. It's unlikely that you are the only one seeing this issue, although I've never seen anything like it myself.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 05:08:53 pm »
It is with Samsung who have requested photos. Waiting to hear what they say.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf