Author Topic: BTLE Keychain - Can I attach a louder BUZZER?  (Read 1233 times)

Offline salilTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
BTLE Keychain - Can I attach a louder BUZZER?
« on: October 24, 2015, 06:03:26 am »
These are two of those "anti-lost" bluetooth low energy keychains you see all over eBay.  They're both marketed as iTag
 but I purchased 2 (each from a different seller) and they appear to have redesigned internals.  For the sake of conversation, I've labeled one version V1 and the other as V2.  This has no correlation to the board's revision history.

In v1 the battery kept getting disconnected which powers the unit off until the user holds down the push button for 3 seconds so it can start up again (big problem when you've lost your keys attached to this thing!).  In v2 the battery connection is implemented better with a spring for both terminals of the coin cell battery (not pictured - it's on the other side of the PCB) but the buzzer is really, really quiet.  Any chance I can modify either to attach an even louder buzzer (louder than either of them)?  Would I need some sort of amplifier and tiny speaker to get anything much louder?  Does anyone have any part suggestions?  This is the biggest problem with these type of devices, the buzzer is never loud enough to be heard downstairs under a couch.

PS: I have tried 3-4 other products of this type over the years and they all have really quiet buzzers so it might be worth investing the time to modify one if it's even feasible :-//  Lower pitch buzzers could also make it more useful for older people.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 06:23:01 am by salil »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: BTLE Keychain - Can I attach a louder BUZZER?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 03:09:25 pm »
They're "bluetooth low energy" for a reason... I doubt the battery has enough power to drive something louder.

Offline salilTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: BTLE Keychain - Can I attach a louder BUZZER?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 03:11:09 pm »
Okay, well let's say I connect a 20c LiFe instead of the recommended CRV2032

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf