Author Topic: Saving a custom RJ12 connector  (Read 969 times)

Offline McBryceTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Saving a custom RJ12 connector
« on: March 21, 2018, 02:06:02 pm »
Hi,
    I'm trying to repair a device that has a custom shaped RJ12 type connector (6 pin). The cable is badly damaged and needs to be replaced. I could use a new standard RJ12 connector, but it would be nice if I could re-use the original as it blends into the housing of the device at a position that's quite visible and also provides some dust/dirt protection. Does anyone know any neat tricks to extract the pins of an RJ12 connector without damaging the connector? I've poked around with pins, tried the strongest neodynium magnet I own and tried knocking / vibrating the connector, but there's no budging them.

Please leave your wildest, craziest suggestions below.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
Re: Saving a custom RJ12 connector
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 02:59:36 pm »
When I was a kid, I used to re-use RJxx connectors by prying the pins out using something like a small finishing nail or a large safety-pin.  Once you get them moving by prying up at the ends, they will come out.  Pry each one from one side to the other and wiggle. 

If you damage any of them, steal new ones from another jack.  As long as you don't mangle the actual plastic carrier too badly it will work just fine.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 03:29:22 pm »
Prying with a needle didn't work, they just tilt and get jammed. Unfortunately, due to the connectors plastic there's only access to one side.

McBryce.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 07:41:14 pm »
Bend the needle into a fishook shape or use a fish hook with the barbs on the shank ground off to get to the other side. Rob a new connector for the pins if they are the right size and reterminate the cable.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 07:56:04 am »
I'll give it another go.

McBryce.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf