Author Topic: Scantronic alarm - transformer replacement  (Read 2465 times)

Offline BicuricoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
Scantronic alarm - transformer replacement
« on: January 23, 2017, 10:29:27 am »
Hi,

I own a Scantronic 9448 alarm system and the transformer got damaged - the coil burnt due to a current spike.

I went on eBay and bought a second hand transformer from a Scantronic 9600 system, which from the pictures looks exactly like the one I have. It has not arrived, yet.

Meanwhile, it occured to me to look at installation manuals for both devices and I found out that the Scantronic 9448 manual referes to a 21VAC intput connector from the transformer, while the Scantronic 9600 manual has a 19VAC connector.

My question is: what can possibly happen, if I connect the 19VAC transformer to my Scantronic 9448 board, which expects 21VAC? Is there like a +/-10% voltage tolerance? Or will the house burn down?

Thanks,
Vitor

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
Re: Scantronic alarm - transformer replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 10:56:21 am »
It wont know the difference and I would be very surprised if it complained, most systems can run on anywhere from 16VAC to 22VAC and I've measured quite a few unloaded transformers/ power supplies/ plug packs output being much higher than the label without detrimental effects.

Offline BicuricoTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 10:59:48 am »
Thanks for your reply.

I opted to ask the seller for a cancellation and he just refunded me.

I know nothing too bad would happen, but because this a house I am not living in, I felt even a minor risk was something I was not comfortable with.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 01:38:21 am »
The difference between 19 and 21V is less than 10%, that's well within the normal tolerance on something like that. Your line voltage may well vary more than that over time.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf