Author Topic: Should I try and replace this SMD capacitor?  (Read 2407 times)

Offline mzryTopic starter

Should I try and replace this SMD capacitor?
« on: August 01, 2016, 11:40:41 am »
Heya,

I have an Arcam Rdac and while poking around inside I noticed one of the surface mounted capacitors has either disintegrated or blipped out of existence. The capacitor in question is C406 and in this service manual you can see what it does: Here

My electronics theory knowledge isn't good enough to tell if this is a serious issue or not, I'm kind of hoping someone is kind enough to lend me some advice :)
The unit seems to be functioning OK, except sometimes it randomly will reset itself... :)

Here is a really bad blurry photo if it helps: Image
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 11:43:25 am by mzry »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
Re: Should I try and replace this SMD capacitor?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 11:44:57 am »
The fact the regulator pin is burnt and the capacitor is popped would have me making sure the regulator output is not shorted and that the input protection is still intact.

I would say if you have no short you should replace the regulator and the cap at the same time, 

Stuff like this is not that hard, for the regulator flow a nice blob of solder onto the top tab and wait a bit and the other putns should reflow from the conducted heat.

The following users thanked this post: mzry

Offline tatus1969

• Super Contributor
  • Resistance is futile - We Are The Watt.
    • keenlab
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 02:01:37 pm »
to me it looks like that pin on the regulator REG401 is just covered with tin. Would you say that it is burned or tinned?

The LM1117 has output short and overtemp protections, and is very robust. Check the output voltage, must be 3.3V.

The device will probably work also with C406 broken. Quickly browsed the circuit diagram, +3V3 supplies the digital part, and they have 100nF local bypass caps all around the place.
We Are The Watt - Resistance Is Futile!

Offline mzryTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 12:38:00 am »
Thanks for the replies, yes the regulator is covered with tin. Looks like it was resoldered. What I was thinking is that if it's not too much of an issue I might leave it, because I don't have the tools required to do such fine soldering. I could attempt it but I'm just worried about stuffing it up :)

If it was a big deal I'd pay a professional to do it I think.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 09:53:16 am »
Given the general crispy looking nature of the regulator pin I'd expect the track underneath to lift really easily, which leaves you with the problem of repairing the potential PCB damage (should be simple with the right tools and a steady hand)

I'd definitely check the output voltage of that regulator though, it's the ground pin that's burned so it may be somewhat higher than it should be.

Offline tatus1969

• Super Contributor
  • Resistance is futile - We Are The Watt.
    • keenlab
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 10:36:21 am »
If the unit is working, leave it as it is. The supply is a bit overengineered anyway, it will still be rock stable with the remaining bulk capacitance.
We Are The Watt - Resistance Is Futile!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf