Author Topic: Simpson 262 series 3 repair  (Read 12166 times)

Offline Fisher77

• Regular Contributor
Re: Simpson 262 series 3 repair
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2016, 06:29:31 am »
Something is off here.
The meter face says 262 series 3, but the circuit board says 269-2.

Is it possible this is a 269-2 that had the meter movement replaced with a 262-3 meter movement?

Maybe reach out to Dave, he recieved a 292 in Mailbag special:

PEACE==>T

Found a guy on youtube that had a 262-3. He cracked it open and emailed me pics of the inside. bsalai's meter matched it.

Hey, even better.  Maybe post pics or at least a link to all so others can benefit?

I have a Simpson Model 260.  I love the old vintage Simpsons.

PEACE===>T

I picked up a 260 series 3 at a garage sale for $5. It had prolly been in the persons attic for 20 years. Batteries had leaked all over the place. I sought help right here on how to fix it. Took alot of cleaning, and had to reflow the solder joints, but it works now, and I like it. Everything measures in spec of the meter except the DCV. I am going to have to look into the problem.

Here are the pics of the 262-3 courtesy of AllAmericanFiveRadio on youtube:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:32:07 am by Fisher77 »

The following users thanked this post: tpowell1830

Offline bsalaiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2016, 10:43:58 am »
The specs for the meter are only a few percent so I'm thinking that I can get close enough with just a couple of values from Digi-Key. Only problem is the minimum order. I don't suppose there are 900 or so people reading this who would like to go in on an order with me?
Is there a source for smaller numbers? I'd be willing to pay a few $ for one or two, but the meter is probably only worth $50 in good shape, and the sentimental value to me is $3.74, more or less!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brad, W2EK

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2016, 12:35:06 pm »
The specs for the meter are only a few percent so I'm thinking that I can get close enough with just a couple of values from Digi-Key. Only problem is the minimum order. I don't suppose there are 900 or so people reading this who would like to go in on an order with me?
Is there a source for smaller numbers? I'd be willing to pay a few $ for one or two, but the meter is probably only worth $50 in good shape, and the sentimental value to me is $3.74, more or less!

Did you try farnell? http://uk.farnell.com/

Offline Fisher77

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2016, 02:08:37 pm »

I dont know if you saw my post, but Mouser has some that are close enough where you can order just one each, or several of each like BFX said so you can ohm them and get the ones that are the closest. Wherever you get them from they need to be 1/2W 1%.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Yageo/MFR50SFTE52-4K3/?qs=UFD7vfw3J8pZ6CEWkRTgIg%3d%3d
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Dale/RN70C1471FB14/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu61qfTUdNhGy2XqlsoYCVGliDjF9bdsJU%3d
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 02:15:18 pm by Fisher77 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2016, 11:54:02 pm »
I did, thank you very much. I was actually trying to figure out the wattage I should get. The ones I removed are literally toasted, so no clue there, or on the parts list. In the photo of the good unit, one looks substantially bigger than the other. I was considering getting four surface mount resistors of each value and stacking them up, two in parallel in series with two more in parallel. That should handle the power easily don't you think?

Brad, W2EK

Offline Fisher77

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2016, 01:54:56 am »
If it were mine, I would stick to through hole. And they definitely need to be 1/2 watt.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 03:20:18 am by Fisher77 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2016, 06:50:11 am »
Thanks, I will do it that way. I really appreciate all your help with this.

Brad, W2EK

Offline Fisher77

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2016, 07:38:59 am »
No problem, glad to help. Let us know how it turns out.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2016, 12:13:23 pm »
I've ordered the parts and am waiting. Probably next week. I'll certainly let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
Merry Christmas.

Brad, W2EK

Offline pyroesp

• Regular Contributor
    • Nicolas Electronics
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2016, 02:41:06 pm »
Why not have a resistor that almost matches and then put a 10-turn pot in parallel to "tune" it to the right value ?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2016, 11:43:22 pm »
Well, the parts came, and I installed them. I am rigging up some resistors to test the current ranges. Unfortunately I don't have a reference so let's hope Ohm was right!

Brad, W2EK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 05:55:11 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions. The meter is back together and functioning. I haven't been able to find calibration instructions, does anyone know how, there seem to be only 3 pots plus a couple is sliding taps on the high current shunts. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Also, I have a few of each of the resistors I replaced led over. If anyone has a similar repair, you would be welcome to a set of them.
Happy New Year.

Brad, W2EK

Offline Fisher77

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2017, 04:15:07 am »
I have looked on the net, but have yet to find any calibration procedures for it. As far as the high current shunts, I would not move them at all.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2017, 09:35:07 am »
I found calibration info for the 269 that might be what we are looking for.

http://www.simpson260.com/downloads/tb9-6625-2352-35.pdf

The drawing showing the pc board layout and calibration pot position looks right. I might give it a try.

Brad, W2EK

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf