Author Topic: So, I cleaned a laptop keyboard with isopropyl alcohol, and now it works less...  (Read 4799 times)

Offline AmmoJammoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Old, free laptop, number 6 key didn't work...

So I flooded the keyboard with IPA, and worked the number 6 key, as well as a few others that were sticky...

It seems the laptop had a drink spilt in the keyboard before.

Anyway! the number 6 key still doesn't work, but now other keys don't always work, and at times, I get random key presses, or keys stuck "on"

|O  :-//

umm... I assume the drink was diluted, and distributed under all the other keys...

ideas? :P

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Get new keyboard (ebay, aliexperss). It's a useless waste of time to try to fix it.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
If this is one of those black (carbonpaint?) on goldpcb trace keyboards you probably dilluted the carbonpaint. You should have disassembled it and clean carefully each and every switch but since a new one costs $15 you probably better off buying a new one.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
It is likely just 2 polyester films with traces on them. And rubber pushers under the plastic buttons to push those films together. Once something gets between those foils, keyboard is dead. Disassembling is a one way job without any chance to assemble it back.

Offline eurofox

• Supporter
    • Music
If this is one of those black (carbonpaint?) on goldpcb trace keyboards you probably dilluted the carbonpaint. You should have disassembled it and clean carefully each and every switch but since a new one costs $15 you probably better off buying a new one.

I already repair a keyboard from HP3458A with new "carbopaint", you can order it on eBay US and work very well, is like new.
It normally work on all "flexible" keyboard, is a classical illness of remote controls  :wtf:
eurofox

Offline wraper

• Supporter
I already repair a keyboard from HP3458A with new "carbopaint", you can order it on eBay US and work very well, is like new.
It normally work on all "flexible" keyboard, is a classical illness of remote controls  :wtf:
The problem is you need to remove every single button (with rare exceptions) with scissor mechanics under the button what is almost impossible to to without damage.That's because those mechanics are mounted on bottom plate. Then you need to separate top an bottom plates but they will be glued together or fixed by melting plastic pins. Traces as themselves usually don't get damaged unless there is corrosion. Usually it's all about dirt between foils. Rubber pushers are not conductive (with rare exceptions when one film is used instead of two).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 12:09:25 pm by wraper »

Offline AmmoJammoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
I would have assumed that nothing could get between the two plastic films?

The keyboard seems to be getting better, possible as the IPA fully evaporates... but why would one key (number 6) simply not work?

Offline wraper

• Supporter
I would have assumed that nothing could get between the two plastic films?

The keyboard seems to be getting better, possible as the IPA fully evaporates... but why would one key (number 6) simply not work?
Sometimes there is round cutout in the stacked foils under each button. Even if there isn't such, there are holes in the foils for button mounts. Foils are not glued together, so any liquid gets inside very easily.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
only way to clean it properly is to remove all ~100 keys one by one
I did it once, will buy new keyboard next time :)
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
Or you by a K310 and put in the dishwasher.* Great keyboard. Feels good. Is cheap and water proof.

*Do so at your own risk. They say you shouldn't put it in the dish washer
but rather use water and mild soap. It worked for me and my dishwasher though.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:12:00 am by con-f-use »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf