Author Topic: Sony CDP-30 gear replacement; not spinning; looking for repairer  (Read 2089 times)

Offline jeremybh1Topic starter

• Contributor
Hi Everyone
A recent eBay pickup of the Sony CDP-30 shows a plastic gear has deteriorated which prevents, I think in part, the tray from opening.  Unfortunately for complete newbies like myself, the Service Manual does not list non-electrical parts, nor do diagrams mention what this gear is. 

How would you go about finding a replacement?

Attached to this post is a quick photo.

Update: Now looking for repairer, see latest post for videos (<2 min each). Located Canberra, Australia.  Would be happy to work with someone also but I have limited skill here.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:51:38 am by jeremybh1 »

Offline Bashstreet

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Sony CDP-30 gear replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 05:22:38 pm »
Looks like standard gear.
Measure the gear Ebay and audio stores often have suitable replacements.

I can look for one but i need the dimensions.

Offline jeremybh1Topic starter

• Contributor
Re: Sony CDP-30 gear replacement
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:50:21 am »
Hi Everyone
The more I play the more I learn.  I've moved past simply needing to replace a gear as I conclude there is a logic issue at hand preventing playback.  It could very well be a simple micro switch.  I take back what I said regarding the service manual not including non-electrical part numbers, I just needed a magnifying glass to find it!  A search on Google revels a dentist's phone number only - no equivalent part for the gear. 

Removing the gear was like touching crumbly cheese that further disintegrated, seemingly just by looking at it haha.  I remove a total of two gears.

I filmed where I was up to as I have ran out of ideas which is here (2 min): https://youtu.be/RWe_XuVNZTk

Then before I was about to really put the project aside, I accidentally lifted the edge of the mechanism up about 40 degrees and it started spinning!  There goes my dead motor hypothesis.  I captured it on video too - perhaps this will trigger an idea on why it only spins up when tilted.

Link to spinning up on tilt 1 min 20 sec (no audio is ever played back which I later verified): https://youtu.be/bnNyEUP63SU

Again I am laughable new to all of this and will now look for someone to move forward in diagnostics and repair.  If you're able to help by all means contact me and I'll commission you.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:51:53 am by jeremybh1 »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Sony CDP-30 gear replacement; not spinning; looking for repairer
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 02:22:32 am »
you may have the laser pickup head bad,  over the time, sony had theses problem on lots of cd players,   the lens suspension tend to fall down in the laser head assembly, making it harder to move to an zero position before doing the focus ok (meaning checking if an cd is in there), you cant adjust or compensate this default. You may have dust in the lens assembly, or the laser led  has gone weak with time.

The cdp-30 is an old model, very old,  the best players around  where the cdp-291 cdp-292 models,  cheap but easy to repair

The laser part  begin with : KSS ....    in some case   you can have the laser with the mechanical kit assembly.

I would not loose time on this ...  trash it     

I have repaired lots of cd players before, a new laser alone may go around 40$ usd   and the cd player must be re-adjusted calibrated by professionals after the change.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf