Author Topic: Specs of R21 in a Fluke 87 III  (Read 3119 times)

Offline giosifTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Specs of R21 in a Fluke 87 III
« on: September 24, 2017, 11:37:58 pm »
Hi,

I am trying to restore a Fluke 87 III whose R21 has been eaten by corrosion (among other things).
I tried measuring the resistance from one end to the other of the trimmer, but corrosion seems to have eaten some of the carbon part too (i.e. not only its metal bits).
I've also looked at the only manual with schematics that I could find (i.e. that of the original 87 series) and R21 is listed as a .3W 100kOhm +/- 20% trimmer.
However, for series III, the trimmer is different even from a physical format perspective (i.e. lower profile, ceramic base), so I am not sure R21 in this version is supposed to have the same specs.

Is there someone that could confirm the specs for R21 on a Fluke 87 III for me, please?

For reference, it is the trimmer at the top of the picture below, right next to the yellow cable coming from the battery.

Thanks!

Offline Toasty

• Regular Contributor
  • Component Level Repair Tech
Re: Specs of R21 in a Fluke 87 III
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 01:56:11 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:58:02 am by Toasty »
veritas odium parit

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 05:20:10 am »
Is there someone that could confirm the specs for R21 on a Fluke 87 III for me, please?
My guess is that both the I and III series use R21 to adjust VDC to 3.500 +/- 0.001 that they use the same value trimmer.

If in doubt, for test purposes, why not just use a 100k ohm resistor in place of the trimmer and see if the meter works.  You might find more corrosion problems, but at least you can proceed temporarily with a 100k ohm resistor in place?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 09:15:15 pm »

deleted

Thanks, but that is the manual for the original 80 series, not the 80 III series.
Could still be the same value of resistor, but I personally doubt it since the 80 III series has a different physical format for the trimmer.
I mean, it could still be a 100kOhm trimmer, but not the same power rating.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 09:21:23 pm »
My guess is that both the I and III series use R21 to adjust VDC to 3.500 +/- 0.001 that they use the same value trimmer.

If in doubt, for test purposes, why not just use a 100k ohm resistor in place of the trimmer and see if the meter works.  You might find more corrosion problems, but at least you can proceed temporarily with a 100k ohm resistor in place?

Yes, R21 is to calibrate DC readings.
Good point with soldering in a temporary 100k resistor.
I've done that and initial testing indicates there are other issues with the meter.
In the meantime, however, I put this troubleshooting on hold since I realized I could use the rotary selector contact "fingers" from this Fluke 87 III on my Fluke 89 IV which is missing its contacts (have tried various ways of obtaining "original" Fluke 89 IV contacts, but without success up to this point).
The Fluke 89 IV seems to be working fine with these contacts, although they are different in physical format.

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 12:00:20 am »

I've done that and initial testing indicates there are other issues with the meter.
In the meantime, however, I put this troubleshooting on hold since I realized I could use the rotary selector contact "fingers" from this Fluke 87 III on my Fluke 89 IV which is missing its contacts (have tried various ways of obtaining "original" Fluke 89 IV contacts, but without success up to this point).
The Fluke 89 IV seems to be working fine with these contacts, although they are different in physical format.

I was able to buy a 187 contact (same as the 89 IV) from a seller on ebay.  I don't recall which but he was one of the ones selling other Fluke 189 parts.  I just asked a couple of the sellers until one said yes.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 10:22:31 am »
[...]

I was able to buy a 187 contact (same as the 89 IV) from a seller on ebay.  I don't recall which but he was one of the ones selling other Fluke 189 parts.  I just asked a couple of the sellers until one said yes.

Yes, I think I know who you are referring to.
And, yes, I've already contacted them and they were supposed to get back to me, but that didn't happen (also sent a few follow-up messages, but no response).
The person is usually quite responsive and helpful (I've used their service before), so they must be caught up with other things.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 10:45:37 am »

[...]

Another update: in order  to advance my troubleshooting of the Fluke 87 III, I used some thin wires and Kapton tape to temporarily bridge the contacts on the board where the rotary selector contact fingers would normally make contacts.
After some going back and forth, I finally identified the source of the problem: a leads input socket, particularly the common/"ground" socket.
It seems both metal half-tube bits inside the socket had their lower end part broken off from the rest of the metal body.
By how clean the area around it looks, I think this problem happened due to mecanical stress rather than corrosion.
In any case, I am now in the process of frankestein-ing the input jack receptacle using parts from another broken receptacle I have.

Next step: get an SMD 100k trimmer to replace the temporary resistor and look to source some rotary selector contact fingers.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 06:44:28 pm »
After some going back and forth, I finally identified the source of the problem: a leads input socket, particularly the common/"ground" socket.
It seems both metal half-tube bits inside the socket had their lower end part broken off from the rest of the metal body.
Common problem.  See

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/fluke-80-series-jack-assembly-rebuild/

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 10:43:47 pm »
Common problem.  See

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/fluke-80-series-jack-assembly-rebuild/

Yes, I remembered that article while I was working on my input jack.  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf