Author Topic: TDS 644A probe gain compensation fails  (Read 2044 times)

Offline resistorTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
TDS 644A probe gain compensation fails
« on: September 29, 2014, 05:02:41 am »
I recently finished recapping a TDS 644A.  The startup self-check now passes, as does the signal path compensation.  But when I try to perform a probe gain compensation cal operation, it fails.  Interestingly, it only fails when my probe is in 10x mode.  1x mode appears to work.  I'm using cheapie 100MHz probes from eBay.

Question: Is this some lingering issues with the scope, or is it just that my probes are too crappy?  If the latter, is there any way to set the attenuation factor in the scope's software manually?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: TDS 644A probe gain compensation fails
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 11:14:03 pm »
Maybe you missed the caps in the calibrator circuitry. IMHO I would skip the gain calibration.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
Re: TDS 644A probe gain compensation fails
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 12:34:13 pm »
I recently finished recapping a TDS 644A.  The startup self-check now passes, as does the signal path compensation.  But when I try to perform a probe gain compensation cal operation, it fails.  Interestingly, it only fails when my probe is in 10x mode.  1x mode appears to work.  I'm using cheapie 100MHz probes from eBay.

Question: Is this some lingering issues with the scope, or is it just that my probes are too crappy?  If the latter, is there any way to set the attenuation factor in the scope's software manually?
It fails in 10x because the scope does not know that you have a 10x probe. See all those contacts surrounding the BNC jack on the scope? Even the simplest passive 10x Tek probe will contact one of those (probably grounding the biggest contact to ground) telling the scope that it is a 10x probe. You wan-hung-lo probe doesn't have those contacts.

Do yourself a favor and get some faster probes. Even if all you can afford is cheapie generic 250 MHz passive probes, get them. Then replace those with better as money and opportunity arises. Those 100 MHz probes are crippling a very nice fast scope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf