Author Topic: Tektronix 2213 issues  (Read 14541 times)

Offline teslabladeTopic starter

Tektronix 2213 issues
« on: October 11, 2016, 01:38:19 am »
Today, i recieved a Tektronix 2213 from the Ebay that i bought a week back. I expected it to come working better than it is currently, but, I was unlucky. Its really bad, an i expect for me to have to replace many compontents. Anyways, can someone help me? If you need details, ill be happy to add details and photographs.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Tektronix 2213 issues
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 01:48:49 am »
Welcome to the forum.

There's several members that'll help with the repair if you think you're up to it.
But first so we're all on the same page:
http://elektrotanya.com/tektronix_2213.pdf/download.html

Wait for "processing" to change to "get manual".

Just checking that it's not an "A" model? Confirm please.

Another that's handy:
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/tek-parts/troubleshooting-scopes.pdf

You've how got some study to do  ;) and also give us some idea of the tools you have to undertake this repair.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 01:56:27 am »
Today, i recieved a Tektronix 2213 from the Ebay that i bought a week back. I expected it to come working better than it is currently, but, I was unlucky. Its really bad, an i expect for me to have to replace many compontents. Anyways, can someone help me? If you need details, ill be happy to add details and photographs.
How about a link to the original ebay posting.
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 02:05:01 am »
Hey, tautech. Thanks for the links! (I have the PDF on my phone) I have confirmed that the oscilloscope is a 2213. Currently, i have a through-hole and SMD soldering station - the Hakko FX888D, a big screwdriver set (like 50 pieces) with every bit imaginable. I also have a slightly off of cal Tek T922 that needs help triggering, but should work. I do not have a collection of parts, but i live close to a RadioShack and a Fry's Electronics. I have done repairs on my T922, so i think i know the lingo pretty well now.

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 04:07:03 am »

You have to be more specific to describe scope's problem, saying that it's bad is just " :-//bad". Don't jump into replacing components without knowing the problem. People will suggest replacing the electrolytic caps just because it's old ( it's valid but first just like going to a doctor he needs to know what's the problems and symtoms before he can make a diagnosis.) The scope is not as fragile as people assume it to be. Here is some teardown photos from : www.kerrywong.com/2013/08/11/tektronix-2213-teardown-pictures/

Calibrate scope with it's 1Khz. signal and what do you see? That's a start. Is the trace sharp and focused (adjust it if it is not), waveform equal top and bottom of the reference ground line, crt brightness , is it 1V peak to peak vertical or whatever the scope spec is and horizontal time div. spacing that is proportional to the selected timebase? That's all foe now.

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 11:54:07 am »
I have made a short ( about 3 minute 30 seconds ) video explaining almost evertthing wrong with my scope. I hope this helps! Here is the link to YouTube.   https://youtu.be/qb8wK3pULgQ

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 02:22:36 pm »
 :palm: I'm surprised that although you own a T922 scope you don't really know how to operate a scope.

Please read the operator's manual:
http://exodus.poly.edu/~kurt/manuals/manuals/Tektronix/TEK%202213A%20Operator.pdf

To set up the scope read page 3-3 initial adjustments.

What I saw in the video:

1. Like above you did not read user manual to set up or set the switches/controls.

2. Using XY trigger? Without input signal to x or y.

Edit: OK at XY you should see a bright dot instead of a blob . ;D adjust R 875 for auto focus and R 887 for astigmatism (input coupling at DC). Both adjustments will interact so have to adjust back and forth for best sharpness. Please read service manual page 5-3 onwards for full understanding. Refer to schematic 9 and also  in A10 main board adjustment location.

If however it's not possible to get sharp focus then power off scope and measure the 6 resistors of 1Mohm. R878 - R882 and R884. One or more probably exceed/drifted 1Mohm +5% in value. Or suspect transistor Q877.

3. You do not know the spec. of the calibration signal.. 1Khz. 500mV p-p. As you increase volts/div waveform will shrink.

4. The scope is technically in good order except for trace need adjustment back to horizontal using the trace rotation pot at front panel of scope.

5. The cal signal does not have flat tops because the probe have not been adjusted to compensate it's capacitance. Read user  or service manual how to do it.

After you have done all that is required report back here.

Edit: You have left ground clip of probe unconnected.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 05:03:53 pm by singapol »

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 04:01:45 pm »
It seems that one of the wires of the vertical deflection plates is not connected to the cathode ray tube.

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 05:12:36 pm »
Hey, singapol! I'd like you to notice that I recorded the video on the floor, at 5 in the morning! I am normally better at using the oscilloscope when I am awake. Other than that, I will report back to you later today whenever I get a chance to use my oscilloscope again. I will adjust R875 and R887, too. Also, i now realised that i had the ground disconnected, but on my T922, it doent need to be connected.
(views message from oldway)
Yes, it does seem like the deflection plate wires are disconnected. I can check on that later today, too.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 05:18:17 pm by teslablade »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 08:20:12 pm »
Check the low voltage power supply outputs for level, noise, and ripple.

Inspect the connections to the vertical deflection plates which I believe are on the accessible side of the CRT.  Be careful not to bend the CRT pins; the pin to CRT glass interface is fragile.

Inspect the four big 340 ohm collector load resistors (R378, R379, R388, and R389 shown on the right side of schematic 3) for the vertical CRT amplifier which are located under the CRT toward the back.  They run hot and may fail by going open or partially open causing vertical problems like you see.  Look for cracking and flaking of their outside surface.  Rub them with a cotton swab or insulated tool.

The following users thanked this post: guy232

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 12:43:43 am »
I am back with good news! Without any other help than the help you kind people gave me, i was able to make the trace dot extremely clear! I dont know if i can get it any clearer than in the picture. Thank you all! :) you might have to download the file.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 12:48:48 am »
I am back with good news! Without any other help than the help you kind people gave me, i was able to make the trace dot extremely clear! I dont know if i can get it any clearer than in the picture. Thank you all! :) you might have to download the file.
What's it doing on the lefthand edge of the display?  :-//

Can you center it with the Position controls?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 01:23:33 am »
It's at the top or bottom of the 10 -90% level for risetime measurement, along the dotted line. ;)

Teslablade, dot should be at center of screen when setting is at XY.
(normally my ground reference is at the center.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 01:56:22 am by singapol »

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 01:54:13 pm »
Yes, I can center it. I just wanted to put it close to the dotted line for scale and so the graticules won't get in the way. Sorry for the confusion. That was also a convenient space to place the dot since I was viewing waveforms right before I took the picture. It was on top, 90 percent, anyways. I can center it and get beautiful Lissajous figures, especially the music from Jerobeam Fenderson. If you don't know, he makes music that makes intricate patterns on an oscilloscope. Also, how would I calibrate the screen with only DC power supplies? I'm worried that my scope is out of calibration, but I don't know how to fix it. :-//
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 02:03:53 pm by teslablade »

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 06:06:06 pm »
I'm worried that my scope is out of calibration, but I don't know how to fix it. :-//
Until you have some gear to confirm your worries forget about it.
The procedure is listed in the Service manual and unless you can follow most of the procedure don't even try.

The quick "sanity" check is the probe calibration output. BUT they are never "spot on" but only close enough.

What readings give you cause for concern?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 11:50:47 pm »
 See, ive never been able to calculate pk-pk voltages and i do not want a scope that has bad readings. Its probably a sign of paranoia since my t922 cannot count frequencies very well. Just hope that my 2213 is kn spec.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2016, 02:21:10 am »
See, ive never been able to calculate pk-pk voltages and i do not want a scope that has bad readings. Its probably a sign of paranoia since my t922 cannot count frequencies very well. Just hope that my 2213 is kn spec.

Oscilloscopes do not generally make good frequency counters.  The 60 MHz 2213 is higher bandwidth than your 15 MHz 922 but not really more accurate when measuring frequency.

Most problems will affect the accuracy of all of the vertical or horizontal settings so if you check just one of each, then that excludes most problems and the other volts/div and time/div settings will be reasonably accurate.

Re: Tektronix 2213 and T922 issues
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 01:31:16 am »
So, with my "new" Tek 2213 fixed up, all exept for a missing knob and the delay time multiplier VR wrecked, I thought to myself "Why dont I fix my T922 with all its problems?" Here are the problems:
It scans from right to left! (Fig 1 if i can post it)
It cannot trigger on Auto or Normal! (Not Fig 2, gotcha!)
Also, is it normal for the 'scope to only show between .1v/div and 1v/div on the y axis on XY mode?
Thanks!

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 02:49:11 am »
Start with the basics and check the outputs of the low voltage power supply.

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 01:48:41 pm »
 Sorry, its been a while. Iv'e been a bit busy and I will check the low voltage power supply outputs when I can.

Offline Teknow

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 08:24:07 am »
I miss the horizontal schematic of the Tektronix 2213. I can't find the relevant horizontal schematic in the service manual.

I looked for Q376, Q386, Q377, and Q387 (2N2369 NPN, and BFR96 NPN), but I couldn't find them anywhere in the schematics available in the manuals in the internet.

I downloaded the service manual from different sites and surprisingly it's the same scanned by the one person or source.
Could someone who owns a genuine manual upload the schematics for me. With lots of thanks and gratitude.

Online alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 09:11:50 am »
Did you check the page numbers if there is actually a page missing? If you are unable to find one for free, you can get a complete service manual for a reasonable price here. Quality will likely be better, too.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 03:14:16 pm »
I miss the horizontal schematic of the Tektronix 2213. I can't find the relevant horizontal schematic in the service manual.

Exactly which schematic are you missing?  The horizontal CRT amplifier is shown on schematic 7.

I looked for Q376, Q386, Q377, and Q387 (2N2369 NPN, and BFR96 NPN), but I couldn't find them anywhere in the schematics available in the manuals in the internet.

These transistors are in the vertical CRT amplifier shown on schematic 3.

I downloaded the service manual from different sites and surprisingly it's the same scanned by the one person or source.
Could someone who owns a genuine manual upload the schematics for me. With lots of thanks and gratitude.

I have all of the schematics scanned but it is not clear to me which one you are missing.

Offline Teknow

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 04:35:56 pm »
Thanks a lot alm and David. The price and cost are not an issue, it's not convenient for me to buy from the internet in the meantime, I don't have €£¥$ cards or money transfer, paypal etc.
David you're right it's the vertical part of the schematic I miss.
Can you post an image?
Thanks in advance.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2017, 07:48:11 pm »
David you're right it's the vertical part of the schematic I miss.
Can you post an image?

The free "good" scan of the 2213 manual that I have is missing schematic 3 as well.  I either made this schematic 3 by merging a scan which was split onto separate pages or someone sent it to me; I do not remember the details.

The following users thanked this post: Josebeeblebrox

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf