Author Topic: Tektronix 2215  (Read 5029 times)

Offline gbladesTopic starter

• Contributor
Tektronix 2215
« on: July 14, 2016, 10:10:03 am »
I have a Tektronix 2215 and I have just upgraded to a Rigol DS1054Z.

I am wondering how feasible or worthwhile it would be to fix the issues with the Tektronix.

1) Power button is stuck in the on position.

2) Ground connection on the front is missing.

3) Probe calibration point frequency is supposed to be 1Khz but actually about 840Hz.

4) Dials are a bit temperamental and the trace jumps or drops away if touched sometimes. Probably just a bit tarnished and needing a clean.

5) There is a double image when you go down to 0.1V/div on either input but only on some signals. Most noticeable on the probe output but it does not happen when looking at the Rigols probe point. The Tektronix probe point when viewed on the Rigol is fine. If I were to guess I would say it is related to the Tektronix probe point varying from -0.5v to 0v while the Rigol is 0v to 3v. Perhaps an issue with the input going -ve.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:18:57 am by gblades »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Tektronix 2215
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 10:50:17 am »
I have a Tektronix 2215 and I have just upgraded to a Rigol DS1054Z.

I am wondering how feasible or worthwhile it would be to fix the issues with the Tektronix.

1) Power button is stuck in the on position.

Not essential to fix, but it would be good practice.

Not sure what you mean by that. If you mean the front panel isn't grounded, then fix that.

3) Probe calibration point frequency is supposed to be 1Khz but actually about 840Hz.

Ignore; frequency and amplitude are unimportant, whereas risetime and flatness are critical.

4) Dials are a bit temperamental and the trace jumps or drops away if touched sometimes. Probably just a bit tarnished and needing a clean.

Check knob isn't binding against front panel - move knob 1mm from front panel. Check any internal connectors are seated properly. Be wary of using arbitrary cleaning agents on controls; they can do as much harm as good.

5) There is a double image when you go down to 0.1V/div on either input but only on some signals. Most noticeable on the probe output but it does not happen when looking at the Rigols probe point. The Tektronix probe point when viewed on the Rigol is fine. If I were to guess I would say it is related to the Tektronix probe point varying from -0.5v to 0v while the Rigol is 0v to 3v. Perhaps an issue with the input going -ve.

Might be a triggering issue or a noise issue - see what happens on a much slower timebase.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 11:22:13 am »

Not sure what you mean by that. If you mean the front panel isn't grounded, then fix that.

I have attached a picture. I think there is probably just supposed to be a metal post there to clip a probe onto. I am guessing it just bolts onto the front plate and has fallen off somewhere.

Might be a triggering issue or a noise issue - see what happens on a much slower timebase.

I will try that tonight and let you know what I find.

Thanks for your help.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 11:37:03 am »

I have attached a picture. I think there is probably just supposed to be a metal post there to clip a probe onto. I am guessing it just bolts onto the front plate and has fallen off somewhere.

It is to insert a 4mm banana plug!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 06:39:01 pm »
I took a video of the time base being switched. It is definetly an issue with the amplitude of alternate sweeps but there is also an issue where alternate sweeps are different speeds which is very significant towards the end of the video at very slow speeds.

https://youtu.be/KcT8OG5xzW4

Offline SAGOLSEN

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 01:52:16 am »
Regarding the stuck power button...  it requires diagnosis, because several things can cause the button to stick, the button itself on the panel, the rod (if there is a rod on this model), or the switch.

If it does seem to be the switch, check if you can manually pull the rod out back to the OFF position.  If you can, then the switch is just sticky probably because it's old, or corroded, or dirty.

In my case I had a pushbutton switch that was too sticky to return to the off position.  I soaked it in alcohol.  After it dried, the switch action got worse.  I then worked in some machine oil, and that fixed it.

Machine oil is probably not ideal, eventually it will probably gum up again or dry out.

Offline Ray.B

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 07:10:58 am »
    With the timing being different speeds it seems that the A, A intensified, B swp is in the A intensified position.  The switch is above the timing switch, also be sure the timing knobs are locked together.  You pull the knob out to do A intensified or B sweep. 
    The vertical seems to have the switch set for vertical separation position, that is over the Ch 2 volts/div knob.  The vertical separation knob is between the Ch 1 and Ch 2 position knobs.
    You might want to get the Operations or Service Manual for the scope.  ( You might check all the switch positions for the normal, default positions. )  PPS There are lots of resources for these scopes on the internet.   

I use to work at Tektronix on these scopes, Ray B.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 08:12:45 am »
Thanks for all the replies. I managed to confirm that it was all working ok and sold it on ebay. I used part of the proceeds to get a bench power supply. :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf