Author Topic: Tektronix 2232 scope.... in need of a doctor..  (Read 50680 times)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Tektronix 2232 scope.... in need of a doctor..
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2017, 01:18:51 am »
oldway may have a valid point that the mains bridge rectifier may have been damaged when the SMPS blew, maybe that's what he meant.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline VinceTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2017, 01:46:01 am »
Oh OK, yes that would make sense.... 4 big 1N4007 would indeed make sense to replace the bridge rectifier ! :-)

Will make sure to check the bridge....

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2017, 10:16:09 am »
Did you make note of the resistance (or better yer, actual inductance if you hae an RLC meter ?) of its various coil, so I can check on mine ?
No, because it is a very rare issue.
As pre-regulator works even with bad T906, it is easier to look at the current waveform than to desolder T906 and to measure its inductance.
This failure can't be spotted by measuring resistance, only by measuring inductance.

Failing that, I can at least check that the core is not broken/cracked, and that the windings aren't open-circuit or shorted, then check then current doesn't exceed 2A as you mentioned.
This current of 2A is the current of the 42V dc external power supply, nothing to do with pre-regulator, nor with T906.

Sorry for taking so long to react to your remark... but I didn't know what the expression "crow bar" meant... though I assumed you were talking of some clamping circuit. Looked it up on Google...  I learned something nexw again, great. Not clamping then, more like shorting. I assume you are talking about the thyristor  Q935, but the zener diode that accompanies it and drives the gate, is rated at 51V not 45.. am I missing something ? Does the SCR really start conducting as soon as 45V, the 51V zener is only there to clamp the gate voltage to a safe level ?  Bottom line is, I guess... should I be worried if the SCR turns on at 51V instead of 45V... would the few extra volts cause damage downstream ?  I guess not...
The goal is to check if the crowbar protection is not actuating at to low voltage because shorting the 42V rail (as crowbar protection doe it !)  may damage the pre-regulator.
The goal is not to check if the crowbar protection does actuate or not...This is not necessary, the circuit is very simple, checking the components for failure is enough.

Replace all the four diodes 1N4007
I don't understand what's your doubts about it ? The four diodes are CR901, CR902, CR903 and CR904....I am looking at the repair manual of a 2236, but I guess the layout of the main board of the 2232 is the same.

Use an isolating transformer with a bulb (100W) in serie...
Can not be sold in shops no more in Europe, but you find these 100W bulbs still in used and junk itens market.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2017, 06:26:57 pm »
Quote from: oldway
The goal is to check if the crowbar protection is not actuating at to low voltage because shorting the 42V rail (as crowbar protection doe it !)  may damage the pre-regulator.
The goal is not to check if the crowbar protection does actuate or not...This is not necessary, the circuit is very simple, checking the components for failure is enough.

Thanks, I get your point now  :)

Replace all the four diodes 1N4007
I don't understand what's your doubts about it ? The four diodes are CR901, CR902, CR903 and CR904....I am looking at the repair manual of a 2236, but I guess the layout of the main board of the 2232 is the same.

OK, so indeed you were talking about the mains rectifier.  Soory if I didn't understand you the first time, but the 2232 schematics are different than the 2236 apparently : on my 2232 they use an integrated/all-in -one bridge rectifier ("CR901"), it does not use discrete diodes, so there are no CR902, no CR903 and no CR904, and not a single 1N4007. That was why I was a little confused ;-)
So I can use discrete diodes, won't fit in the pad holes I guess. I will check the bridge and if faulty will hopefully find a replacement with a compatible foot print so it can fit in the existing holes in the PCB...
Or do you advise on replacing the bridge anyway, just to be on the safe side ?

Use an isolating transformer with a bulb (100W) in serie...
Can not be sold in shops no more in Europe, but you find these 100W bulbs still in used and junk itens market. [/quote]

Yeah it should be possible to find some... actually I may well have some at home... when I moved to that old house 3 years ago, I removed the old light bulbs to put fluorescent bulbs... I might have kept the old bulbs as a backup, buried somewhere...

Anyway, week-end time !  At last I will have some time to work on that PSU... stay tuned  ;D

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2017, 07:51:40 pm »
I did not know that there is another layout of the main board for the 2232.
I have the original printed service manual of 2236, that's the reason why I looked at this manual, not my 2232 pdf copy.
Anyway, I had a lot of trouble with these little bridge rectifiers in Hameg oscilloscopes.
The most common failure is an open diode....
I think Dave encountered the same problem when repairing an HP1740A oscilloscope.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 10:16:21 pm »
I did not know that there is another layout of the main board for the 2232.
I have the original printed service manual of 2236, that's the reason why I looked at this manual, not my 2232 pdf copy.

The 2235 and 2236 were replaced with the 2235A and 2236A starting in 1990 which is when the 2232 came out.  There are minor differences between the non-A and A designs and the 2232 may be closer to the A designs.  There also may have been a revision of the 2232 without a model number change which I suspect happened in 1992.  You can find two different 2232 service manuals online but I have not compared them in detail yet.  Also, the 2221A (single timebase 2232) replaced the 2221 in 1991.

I get the feeling that Tektronix consolidated the 22xx designs in 1990 but I have incomplete information on the A designs and late 2232 if it existed so it is not real clear to me.

Anyway, I had a lot of trouble with these little bridge rectifiers in Hameg oscilloscopes.
The most common failure is an open diode....
I think Dave encountered the same problem when repairing an HP1740A oscilloscope.

Diodes, rectifiers, and bridge rectifiers are one of those things that I preemptively replace if they were possibly damaged.  They do not cost very much.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2017, 06:50:30 pm »
Hi chaps,

Back again, spent some time at the workbench... so go grab a cup of tea and some biscuits to go with it... as you have figured by now, I always struggle to keep things short, no matter how hard I try.     :popcorn:

Point noted for the bridge rectifier, rectifiers at large... and bridges in old Hamegs too, because I happen to have one...which got to get some use today BTW, to assist in the repair of the Tek.

In short : as planned, I bypassed th regulator and powered the inverter from my bench power supply. The scope is back to life, tested it without the digital board and as a 100% analog scope, it works fine... or almost, see further down.

But before I order the parts to fix the pre-regulator and reassemble the scope, there are still 3 points that concern me, I could definitely do with your input on the subject.

For clarity, let's unfold things in the order :

First, before I took the risk of powering the inverter and the entire scope with it, I :

- made some space to get access to the shunt resistor and SCR : removed the tall heat sink as well as the cooling fan mounting piece.

- cleaned the mess/carbon deposits from the blast, to better/more accurately assess the actual extent of the damage. Some IPA with a ESD safe brush, helped. As I thought, the little T092 tranny, and resistor that looked carbonized, next to the TL594 chip that blew, were fine : they were simply covered with smoke because they so happened to live there, but cleaned up just fine and look sparkling  new again. Obviously, I will check those two components electrically anyway, just in case...

- removed the plastic plate on the bottom side of the PCB, to get access to the solder side. Found some obvious signs of rework in there, old flux that did not get cleaned.  But I guess that's to be expected in any old gear...

- removed the shunt resistor that blew, so I can check check for damage on the PCB underneath the resistor, because it looked like it took quite a hit !
Not sure it shows well in the pictures, but the PCB survived. The fat track of the 42V rail probably got scared to death, but it is intact, and the PCB got burnt enough for the fiberglass weaving to be exposed, but other than looking scary, there is no actual show stopper.

- Electrolytic caps : I checked the big 1000uF one that filters the 42V rail, because obviously if a cap had a good excuse to blow, this was the one. No visual sign of damage, so just measured it : no short that's a good start, and it's value is still well within spec, no worries there. So at the least I could assume there was a good chance that it did survive the blast, ie the crow bar did its job, along with the shunt resistor acting as a fuse and protecting it too.

- SCR/Thyristor: removed it from the board so I can check it properly/out of the circuit, and also so I could manage to read its part number (impossible other wise, as it's stuffed right into a corner of the chassis, facing towards the metal work.... ) because the parts list says it's an SCR2117 or something,  but Google can't find any data sheet for this. Actual markings on the beast are " MTR 72 ". At least this one is known, but obsolete "obviously".. so I will have to figure out a replacement for that as well. Shouldn't be too difficult though, I guess...
Anyway, the forced and unfortunate absence of the SCR on board, would not keep me from powering up the scope, since it is powered by the bench power supply therefore safe/current and voltage  limited.

- mains bridge rectifier : checked all of its internal diodes, all good, and a consistent 0.45V or so forward drop which is fine by me.

Second, I set the bench power supply exactly to 42.8V as indicated in the annotated schematics, and set the current limit to 2A as you said.

Then I crossed fingers that nothing would blow again.... victory !   :)
The scope powered up, it was not shorting the power supply. current draw was 750mA then after warming up settled at 800mA. Scope was powered like this for many hours while I was testing it, and no incident to report.

So, followed you advice : tested the thing to make sure all was well, before rebuilding the pre-regulator.  This is were I found 3 problems which could do with your input...  Other the these, the scope, in pur analog form for now, works just fine.

1) Odd : the probe compensation signal goes NEGATIVE ?!  Frequency, amplitude and signat shape are spot on, but instead of going from 0 to +0.5V, it goes from 0 to  MINUS 0.5V ... go figure.

2) The time base is off, and by a long shot ! Error is measured at about 4.8 to 1 . At first I though well that's all right, it's just the big know that got loose again and missed a couple steps .. but not, not that simple : knob is still firmly attached/screwed, turned it all the way from lock to lock, the dial goes where it's supposed to go... no mismatch.  Plus, had the knob been out of adjustment, it would imply an error fitting the usual 1-2-5 sequence.. but here I witness 4.8, too far off "5" anyway.

2 bis) The little "CAL" knob of the time base, woks only partly : The "s10" magnification works. however if I turn the knob CCW to go out of cal on purpose, it has absolutely zero effect on the trace on the screen. Yes, yes... when I say the time base off, it's obviously when the little CAL know is set fully CW, in the calibrated position...

The CAL feature has a range of 10 : 1 isn't it. So it not working, and the fact that the error I get fall inside that range... it's reasonable to assume that the time base subsystem is fine and that only the var cal feature is misbehaving, it is somehow stuck solid on 4.8 : 1 ...
Had a quick look at it. That knob has its own dedicated switch assembly, which is also mounted on a small dedicated PCB. So that's a starting point...  There are only 2 cables going to this little board : one which goes to the digital board, which obviously is disconnected at the moment, and another smaller, 3 way connector which goes to the main/analog board, but this is one firmly secured in place. So I fear it's not as simple as a disconnected connector... and probing in that area doesn't look like fun, access looks shitty at best...

3) Power rails : they all look fine except for the 5V rails which has me very concerned !  Exhaustive list of my measurements follows. Measurements taken with a fixed x10 probe sorry (not ideal to measure tiny ripple...), as my slower x1/x10 probe is out of order... need to order new ones...  So, x10, and measured on the Hameg scope whose lowest setting is 5mV/DIV not 2mV like the Tek. So that gives us 50mV per division. Still good enough to get a ballpark figure though....

+ 30V (CRT) : 30.3 V.  Ripple : 40mVpp, 50 tops. No random garbage, but rather a perfectly clean wave form fro the inverter. The trace as jumping around a little bit but I the period was about 45us, ie 22.2kHz... and the waveforms the service manual provides for the inverter, indicate around 21.8kHz, so not bad.

+100V (CRT) : 102.8 V.  Ripple : same as above (clean, inverter residue, same amplitude, and frequency as well obviously), except that somehow the waveform/pattern is different. See below for pics of each of these two waveforms.

+8.6V : +8.75V.   Ripple: even at 5mV/DIV, it's as flat as it gets, no discernible ripple whatsoever.

- 8.6V : -8.7V.   Ripple : none visible.

-5V : -5.8V Ripple: none visible
+5V:   +5.46V Ripple: none visible.

Not 100% sure why the 30V and 100V are the only ones to display some ripple, whereas the other rails are really really flat. Probably because the 30/100 rails have fairly small filter caps, only 33uF and 270uF, whereas the other rails have much large 1000uF caps, as well as LC filtering.

But obviously my big problem is with this +5V rail !  +5.46V, what the ?!
At first I though nothing of it, thinking well who cares, there will be regulators down stream... then realized that 0.46V isn't much headroom for a regulator, even an LDO type which probably wasn't really widespread back then anyway. So, I started to get scared.... could the digital chips be getting 5.46 instead of 5.0V ?!
So, checked the "Power Distribution" schematic page, and that got me real scared indeed : I do spot a couple 78/7905 regulators, but this is only local to the "Timing" board. What the schematics shows is that indeed, the is a bunch of TTL logic chips which powered straight from that 5.46 rail !  NOOOO !
OK TTL is specified at 5.0 +/- 5%, but that only gets us to 5.25V, we are way above what is already the maximum tolerated ! :-/
I thought... OK maybe the schematics says 74 "LS", but maybe it's just a generic way of saying things... maybe the actual chips on the board, are some other family which can cope with a wider range of supply voltages. But no... checked on the board, the chips are indeed bog standard 74 "LS", so 5,25V max it is !
Then I thought... OK this makes no sense, you must chasing a red herring again....  so just to be sure, I measured the voltage directly directly on the two power pins of each and every one of these TTL chips... and sure as hell they all get 5.46V :-(
I didn't give up : could still be chasing a red herring, maybe the multimeter is somehow off ? Unlikely especially since I checked it when I bought it, and it reads fine on the other rails.... but tried a different meter anyway just in case... no joy, still 5.46V.

I don't know how the scope can still work "fine" (from a user point of view at least, bar my time base issue...), with all the TTL chips being pushed/stressed that much... but the point is, regardless of the fact that they happen to somehow function at that voltage, it can't possibly be DESIGNED to be 5.46... So now the question is... what is wrong...  :-/

From the top of my head :

- partially shorted 5V secondary windings (internally/wire insulation problem) : I guess that would make for a voltage lower than expected, not higher... so unlikely

Then we could go upstream (primary winding, then maybe a problem with the inverter).. but that would affect all the rails... and they are all perfectly fine, only the 5V ones are way out.

Oh, just an idea : maybe the blast DID do some damage to some track after all, and maybe the voltage from one of the other rails, of higher voltage, is "leaking" its way to the 5V rails a bit ?  No, stupid... the damage happened way upstream in the regulator, when the various rails don't even exist... so really, I am clueless !  :-DD   |O

So.... I welcome your input on the +5.46 V rail, and the preceding two problems as well !   :-//

Now picture time.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 08:03:14 pm by Vince »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2017, 06:52:34 pm »

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2017, 07:50:28 pm »
Nothing to became so nervous....Only reduce the voltage of your external power supply to adjust -8.6V to his right value.

When the preregulator will be working again, you should read the adjustment procedure....You will see that there is an adjust of a trimpot to match the -8.6V rail.

Without digital board connected, a lot of functions are not working correctly....you don't have to worry about this.....The goal was to test the inverter and HV generator, they are working, that's allright.

After ajusting -8.6V, next step is to connect the digital board and test all the analogic and digital functions of the scope.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 07:56:47 pm by oldway »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2017, 10:14:19 pm »
Hmmm.... thanks for that, feeling much better already !  ;D

I will proceed with the fixing of the regulator then, the time to figure out replacement for the SCR and a couple small T092 trannies as well.

If someone has already replaced the SCR and can suggest a suitable replacement, I am all ears...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2017, 10:18:43 pm »
Hmmm.... thanks for that, feeling much better already !  ;D

I will proceed with the fixing of the regulator then, the time to figure out replacement for the SCR and a couple small T092 trannies as well.

If someone has already replaced the SCR and can suggest a suitable replacement, I am all ears...
Hidden at the bottom of this page is the Tek Xref file.
http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/tekequiv.html
(27 Mb)
As Sphere asks, do not link it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2017, 05:41:31 am »
Why do you want to replace the SCR ? Did it failed shorted ? If not, you don't need to replace it.

If you need to replace it, something like TIC126 will do the job.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2017, 10:32:52 am »
Why do you want to replace the SCR ? Did it failed shorted ? If not, you don't need to replace it.

Oh no... you mean that in my mile long message, I somehow did not find the space to mention this point ? Indeed I forgot ! Sure meant to, I would have swore I wrote about it... I am getting old or what ?!  :P
Anyway... I must replace it because although it checked out just fine from an electrical standpoint, it did not from a ... mechanical perspective ! The little bugger took the concept of metal fatigue, at tad too seriously ! Even though I babied it during removal, the middle pin broke, then another pin broken when I tried to put it back on the board. These copper terminals just aren't that strong... 
Technically I guess I could away by soldering bit of wires to connect the broken legs to the pads on the PCB, it would probably work just fine...in case it ever needs to, that is, hopefully never again ! LOL
But I was trying to do a decent repair, hence my wish to replace it.

If you need to replace it, something like TIC126 will do the job.

Thanks.  :)

@Tautech : thanks for the file, I downloaded it and saved it, a 343 pages mine gold for sure. However it's not very helpful in the case at hand, since it does not give replacements/substitutes, which is what I am looking for. Plus, as luck would have it, out of the 3 or 4 active components I need to figure out, none of them are even listed in that file, somehow ?! I am cursed...
Anyway, this file does not give more information than the parts list in the service manual. I assume it would be useful to someone with a discrete Tek part in his hand, to help him figure out what it is. But if the person actually has  the actual test gear that this part comes from, he can just look it up in the appropriate service manual.. unless he is unlucky and the manual for his particular gear, isn't available.....  :-//

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2017, 10:41:50 am »
Unfortunately the available Tektronix parts catalog is less useful for the 2232 because many of the newer parts including the SCR are not listed.

Look for an 8 amp or greater sensitive gate (200 microamp) SCR.  That limits you to modern parts like the MCR72 (8 amps), MCR310 (10 amps), and MCR8 (8 amps).

http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Discrete-Semiconductors/Thyristors/SCRs/_/N-ax244Zscv7?P=1yx67ruZ1yx67qrZ1z0z63x&Rl=ax244Zgjdhl8Z1yx67sbZ1yx67nvSGT&Ns=Pricing%7c0

This excludes the TIC126 because it has a much higher gate trigger current although I suspect it would still work but perhaps not as reliably.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2017, 11:42:46 am »
Quote from: David Hess
Look for an 8 amp or greater sensitive gate (200 microamp) SCR.   

Thanks for that. The service manual does specify a "sensitive" gate, but not knowing about SCR, I couldn't translate that in actual values that I could look for...

Quote from: David Hess
That limits you to modern parts like the MCR72 (8 amps), MCR310 (10 amps), and MCR8 (8 amps).

MCR72 ?! Oh no, stupid me ! What did I say the old part was, MTR72 ? Just looked at it again, it appears I somehow misread that (that's what happens when you work on the thing at 4AM... ), it does read MCR72 in fact, so it's still available, yahoo !!!  :)

But that's suspicious... a modern part in that old scope ? So I guess this means someone already replaced it in the past ! As I said yesterday, I did notice signs of rework in the PSU section of the board, but didn't notice anything on the SCR itself.
Whatever, I can buy it then, problem solved  :)

At the very least,

The shunt resistor is nothing special, just metal film  1W 0.2 ohms.  Then I need  a couple of the T0-92 trannies that accompany the TL594. The one driving the gate of the FET literally exploded ( a chunk of its package flew off...), and another looks fine from the outside, but the collector  and emitter appear to be shorted... unless it is the surrounding circuitry that is fooling me. Might remove it from the board to make sure...

This excludes the TIC126 because it has a much higher gate trigger current although I suspect it would still work but perhaps not as reliably.
I won't take chances then.. I will just put a new MCR72 since it is available, does have a sensitive gate, and because well... we now know for a fact that it can do the job, not only did it protect my scope, but it also survived. So, I will just whack a new one of those in there  :)

Great, I am getting there....

About the 5V rail climbing mount everest at 5.46V, I think oldway was right (of course ;-). The adjustment procedure won't solve the "problem", since it just fine tunes the drive of the primary of the transformer, therefore moving all the rails in unison. Since they are already pretty much spot on (only need shave 40mV off of the reference -8,6V rail, that's half a percent), that will only shave 20mV or so from the excess 460mV, hardly enough. However as Oldway said... once you put the digital board back in the game, it will bring things back to normal. After all, there are so many digital chips crammed in that board that it's a reasonable assumption ! It certainly would make sense, and I fail to think of another theory that would make sense of all this. So... here I am, relieved !  ^-^

I will search for substitutes for the smaller trannies, hopefully order all the parts  today and, well... hopefully I will get the parts sometime next week and I will able to repair the scope next week-end, can't wait !  :D

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 08:02:53 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Carm09

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2017, 08:25:06 pm »
Reliability of the crowbar circuit is higher using a SCR like TIC126 than using a high sensitivity SCR.

Why ?
- Actuating is the same: when 42V rail reach 51V + 0.8V (gate/cathode voltage), VR935 became conducting and there is no resistance to limit the current flowing in the gate of SCR, so there is no difference of actuation between a sensitive gate thyristor and a non sensitive one.
 - spurious actuations....what can't occur is a spurious actuation because erratic shorting the 42V rail may damage the pre-regulator....I remember you that the current limitation of a TL594 is slow and not able to eficiently protect  the Mosfet....at this point of vew, regulator's IC controlling current pulse by pulse are far more secure. (like UC384xA family)
So a non sensitive SCR is far more reliable than a sensitive one because it is less prone to erratic actuations.

If you repair old stuffs, you must be clever and understand what you do because these old stuff are full of errors and bad projects.

For exemple, I am repairing an amplifier Sansui AU-999 and I had to make some modifications because the original schematic has some bullshit errors.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2017, 09:58:41 pm »
Hi Oldway,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Honestly,as everyone has gathered by now... I have next to zero experience at fixing stuff. I started collecting old stuff only 6 months ago, so I can build myself a decent lab, after 20 years of dreaming that one day I would have a decent lab at last.  So far my 2232 is the only gear I have had that required to dig fairly deeply into it !  I did repair my ancient 5000 series rack mount Tek scope (below), but it did not require any serious troubleshooting/thinking... all that was wrong with it were the dozen trimmers on the CRT boards, that literally were falling apart ! Replaced all of these, and now work like a charm.  Finding the parts was not as straight forward as I thought so : these trimmers looked nothing unusal, but in fact they were, because of their pin pattern mostly. Had no choice but order them from the US from Mouser, and pay an arm and and a leg (and kidney too !) for shipping + duty taxes etc.... but I wanted to repair it with the proper parts ;-)

Anyway, just mean to say that I am clearly not qualified to argue or debate with you or David on this subject, I clearly know shit on the subject, and have next to zero experience !  :-// 

So when I repair stuff, I am forced to make the assumption that the engineers that designed whatever gear I am working on, knew much better than I do, hence it's safer/reasonable to just replicate what they did, in this case, use a sensitive gate.    But obviously I also know that no matter how expensive/professional a given piece of gear, is.... the engineers behind them are just mere mortals and human beings like us... and humans are never perfect are they...

I do suck every bit of information/thoughts you guys deliver to me, though, it does not go to waste. Whatever the final decision on this part will be, the various arguments/thoughts I read on here, is precious material to me.

What I propose is... given that as always the price of the parts is ridiculously cheap compared to the 30 Euros minimum order at Farnell,  I will just get 2 or 3 of both the MCR72 and the TIC126.... then by the time I get the parts and actually get some time to work on the thing, that gives us 'til next week-end for you and Dave to discuss the gate sensitivity subject, because well, I don't enough to argue with either of you !  :-//

Oh well hold on, Mouser marks the TIC126 as obsolete, and Farnell, which I must use, does even list it at all.
So if if it's better to switch to a less sensitive gate, it will have to be some other part.

Using the parametric search (quite nice to use on Mouser BTW, like it...) : T0220 package, >= 8A, >=600V , we have these puppies in the "less-sensitive" gate department :

5mA : TYN612MRG, TN1205H-6T
15mA: S6008x
20mA: MCR12

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2017, 01:27:34 am »
Hmmm.... just looked at Farnell's offering for the shunt resistor : 0.2ohm >= 1W

http://fr.farnell.com/w/c/composants-passifs/resistances-valeur-fixe/resistances-traversantes?resistance=0.2ohm&type-de-boitier-de-resistance=axial|axial-leaded&range=inc-in-stock|exc-direct-ship&st=0.2+ohm+resistance&sort=P_PRICE

The first 4 in the list are wire-wound so my first reaction was no-no... not a good idea to upset the regulator circuitry with an unwanted inductance... let's just take a film resistor, one of those blue ones from "Ohmite", they look like like your typical metal film resistor, so no inductive behavior, that's what we want.... then looked at the datasheet to check physical dimensions to make sure it would fit on the board, and if the beefier 3W might fit and.... uh ? It says even those resistors are wire-wound too ?!  :o

So... could the shunt resistor Tek used originally actually be wire-wound ?!  I tried to examine the dead body of the one that blew, but it's so completely carbonized that it's hard to tell anything from the remains...

So, now I am trying to find arguments to convince myself that maybe it's actually OK to use wire wound despite it being used in an SMPS :

- 0.2 ohm is tiny and maybe it's not easy to produce it using metallic film technique, so wire-wound is the only possibility ?

- 0.2 ohm is not much, so it probably needs only a very few turns of wire, hence producing very little inductive behavior, not enough to upset the regulator circuitry, especially given that it runs at 60kHz which is not much.

- The shunt  is downstream with regards to the  regulator, it's outside the feedback loop, so the regulator actually doesn't give a shit ?
No hold on, OK it's after the FET but still in the feedback loop, my bad.. makes sense I guess, even with a tiny 0.2ohm value, it would still drop a non-negligible 0.4V given the 2A figure it might encounter in the machine, if I understood well. So, you can't afford to leave it outside the loop.

- the service manual DOES precise "FILM" when they want to use film resistors...and they did NOT specify this when listing the shunt resistor... meaning it's irrelevant probably.

Unless I missed something and did not search Farnell properly, it seems that I don't have much choice anyway...

Any thoughts before I do a mistake ordering this ?!  :)   

Bugger, datasheet says that non-inductive versions ARE available... but the specific part numbers Farnel offers, are unfortunately not this type...  >:(
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:29:28 am by Vince »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2017, 03:16:00 am »
MCR72 ?! Oh no, stupid me ! What did I say the old part was, MTR72 ? Just looked at it again, it appears I somehow misread that (that's what happens when you work on the thing at 4AM... ), it does read MCR72 in fact, so it's still available, yahoo !!!  :)

But that's suspicious... a modern part in that old scope ? So I guess this means someone already replaced it in the past ! As I said yesterday, I did notice signs of rework in the PSU section of the board, but didn't notice anything on the SCR itself.
Whatever, I can buy it then, problem solved  :)

Thyristors have not changed in decades.  The smaller SCRs used in the earlier 22xx oscilloscopes are also still manufactured.

http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Discrete-Semiconductors/Thyristors/_/N-ax23v?Keyword=C106&FS=True

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2017, 03:30:34 am »
Reliability of the crowbar circuit is higher using a SCR like TIC126 than using a high sensitivity SCR.

I suspect Tektronix did not use sensitive gate SCRs without reason.

There is another SCR failure mode which may apply.  At high currents which will occur when shorting out the preregulator's output capacitor, low gate current can result in hot spots in the gate area because turn on time is increased.  Large gate currents help prevent this.

http://www.electronicshub.org/scr-turn-on-methods/

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2017, 08:59:10 am »
When pre-regulator Mosfet goes in short circuit, what happened with SCR is of little concern....

What's really matter is to protect the inverter and all the other power suplies.

When things are going so horribly wrong, you cann't  be sure the scr will survive or not.
To protect a scr, you must have selectivity between the scr and the fuse he must blow to clear the fault.
i²dt of the fuse must be at least 30% lower than the i²dt of the scr.

In such a circuit where you not only have to blow the mains fuse but also have to dissipate all the energy , not only of the electrolytic capacitor of the 42V rail, but also of the 400V input capacitors, you cann't predict what will happen with SCR.

Happily, they generaly fail going to short circuit, what is safe in this application.

I think it is stupid to loose your money and time to look after an original component, when you can buy a cheap TIC 126 or TIC 116 in every electronic shop and that will change absolutely nothing in the working of the oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2017, 11:07:22 pm »
Hi chaps,

Thanks for your thoughts on the SCR, I do appreciate. I see there is non consensus on the matter, so since I hardly mean to ignite a diplomatic incident, I will leave it at that. Will order both types and decide at the very last minute what to whack under the hood.... might flip a coin, just kidding !   ;D 
Anyway, whatever happens, I will take the full responsability of course.. if the scope blows for good this time, my fault, I won't blame anybody but me.
I asked for your views since I knew shit on the subject, now I have the information I asked for.. the rest is on me now...

anyway, any thought on the shunt resistor ? I posted about this right after my message on the SCR... but I knew there was a risk that it might go unnoticed because the SCR subject was getting a bit hot, pun intended !   ^-^

Checked the  TL594, that ancient beast is still available, even in DIP package, what do you know !  :-+

Just need to look at replacements for the small signal trannies around the regulator,  and I will be ready to order all the parts...

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:26:57 am by Vince »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2017, 12:37:26 am »
It looks like Tektronix never changed the resistor.  It is indeed an inductively wound wire wound resistor but I doubt the inductance amounts to much with such a low value.  Here is the modern datasheet for the old Dale RS1A series:

https://www.vishay.com/doc?30204
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/427/rsns-226497.pdf

And the modern version of the original part is still made if you want it:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Dale/RS01AR2000FE12/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtTURnxoZnJAHlhF1kLzuAqSP3bVTNPViY%3d
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Dale/RS01AR2000FE70/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtTURnxoZnJAHlhF1kLzuAqxV5PAsnHGbU%3d

The alternatives would be a different wire wound resistor or maybe a metal oxide resistor.  A 3 watt version of the same resistor is available however since the failure was do to catastrophic overload, I doubt it is worth using.  For a metal oxide resistor, I would use the largest which will easily fit which is 2 watts.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2017, 08:21:39 pm »
Thanks for that.

Would love to have Mouser here in France / Europe but sadly no... so will have to go with what Farnell offers. Mouser always have more choice than Farnell but well... Farnell is the only one that cares about Europe and has operations here so... they get my money almost every time, if they have something suitable.

I think I will get the Ohmite branded one. The only one that actually does 1W and has the appropriate physical dimensions. As a bonus it's a tighter tolerance (5 times the price of the 5% Vishay though...) even though it does not really matter of course.  A 3W one I give up... thinking about it, it's probably a bad idea !  The little 1W one blew quickly (faster than the main fuse which is the slow type), and is the first in line, right after the FET. So I like to have this "fuse" there, being able to react quickly and "locally". A higher power rating would only mean thicker wire inside, which could only make for a slower "fuse", not what we want he....

OK. So tonight I will figure out replacements for the small signal trannies around the regulator, and try and order all the parts tonight... hoping to fix the scope this week-end !  We shall see...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2017, 08:34:34 pm »
Hi there,

Here I am again, for the next episode of this breathtaking saga...

Last night spent nearly 4 hours checking each and every component of the regulator, systematically., lifting terminal when needed, or even removing parts altogether sometimes, to make I was not measuring garbage and wasting time chasing red herrings.

I am glad I took the time because well... a lot of components were having issues ! So no way this scope is getting fixed this week-end, unfortunately.

I attached a schematic of the regulator, highlighting what components checked OK and which ones didn't...

- FET, shunt resistor and TL594, and the little tranny driving the gate of the FET, were already known.

Now some more :

- CR908 and R909, that go with the FET's  gate driver. The 39 ohm gate resistor is open circuit, and the diode across the Base-emitter junction of the tranny, is shorted.

- Q930 : which supplies power to the TL594, is shorted.

- Less obvious : C917 is dodgy : I removed it completely from the board so I could grab it firmly with alligator clips, but still, it gives erratic readings, dancing all over the shop. Always near the expected value (0.5nF up to 2nF, for a 1nF face value), but completely unstable. His other friends of similar constructions, don't do this, they give perfectly stable readings. I noticed some slight browning on its package to add to that. So no reason to take chances, I am replacing.

- R912 : no visible sign of damage, but reads to low, 20% too low. It's the bottom resistor of a precision (1%) voltage divider that gives the reference/threshold for the current limiting feature. 20% off for a 1% resistor, can't be justified, and I am not willing to mess with the settings of the current protection either, so putting that back to specs. In the case at hand though, I would have been on the safe side, the current limiting would have happened 20% earlier, not later. Still, I am fixing this.

- and now for the real bad news.... T906, the main coil... is out of the game I am afraid ! See pics. The two halves of its casing are split, and there is a big crack too, as a result. The main coil/ "primary" winding is.. open circuit  :(  Well even it weren't, the condition of the case itself calls for replacement, obviously...
All 3 secondary windings are probably good though : they are not open circuit nor shorted nor abnormally high values. They all measure at a couple ohms, which sounds plausible at least.

I will carry out an autopsy of the coil just out of curiosity, and so I can learn something from that catastrophic failure... but now I need to find a new one !  |O

Nothing I can find on ebay. Just check that "sphere"  site you showed me recently, they have one..... well, HAD one, it's marked as "sorry, sold" !  |O

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/tek-transformers.html

OK, I will post on this forum in case someone may have one, but I am not holding my breath so.... look like my poor 2232 which I loved as my general purpose scope... won't be working for a long, long, lonnnng time unfortunately, the time to come across a coil !   :palm:

Well, I might still order all the  other components, so I can start putting the thing together and not have a mega pile screws that I won't even remember how to put together again..  2 years from now, once I manage to get hold of a coil...

The absence of the coil should still allow me to power up the TL594, and check that it all works fine, oscillates as it should etc. Then once I get the coil I can just throw it in there, fit the new shunt resistor, and hopefully call it done...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 08:52:03 pm by Vince »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf