Author Topic: Tektronix 2247A no trace question  (Read 2257 times)

Offline rdlTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Tektronix 2247A no trace question
« on: May 26, 2017, 06:43:57 pm »
I have a Tektronix 2247A that I got over 10 years ago. Though I don't use it that much since getting a DS1052E, and when I do it's usually just one channel, but yesterday I actually tried to use channel 2 and found that there's no trace. I'm sure it worked at one time. What I'd like to know is whether this might be an easy fix or not. So if anybody wants to take a guess, I'd appreciate it. Even with just one channel it's still very useful and I'm not sure it's even a good idea to go poking around inside and risk making things worse.

edit: channel 2 not channel B
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 02:01:19 am by rdl »

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: Tektronix 2247A no trace question
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 01:02:26 am »
Channel B?  What channel B?

Channels are designated with the numbers from 1 to 4 and sweeps and triggers are designated with the letters A, B, and C.

Offline rdlTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 02:00:06 am »
Sorry, I meant 2. All channels have a trace except channel 2.

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 02:45:49 am »
There are some non-intrusive measurements that you could make which would determine the failure or at least narrow down the possibilities.  Many of them are repairable but will require unsoldering parts and replacing them.  You will need the service manual which has schematics.

The oscilloscope also has some self diagnostic routines which might point to the problem.

Likely failures which could cause what you describe are:

1. Failure of the input amplifier.  This would be difficult to fix and require a custom Tektronix hybrid.
2. Failure of the JFET or CMOS analog circuits which control the trace position.  This would be easy to fix.
3. Failure of the digital I/O circuits which control trace 2.  This would be easy to fix.

The following users thanked this post: rdl

Offline rdlTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 03:09:36 am »
I was able to track down a copy of the service manual. I couldn't find an operation manual, but I found one for the 2246 which seems close enough and will be a big help. When I first got the 2247A, I just followed general scope usage guides to figure out the basic usage and never bothered with the more advanced features (though I did figure out some parts).

For now, I don't think I'll take any chances. I finally have all my electronic stuff in one area instead of two different rooms, so If I need more than one channel I can turn on the Rigol. The rest of the time I'll be able to use the 2247A.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf