Author Topic: Tektronix 455  (Read 2647 times)

Offline jkobler411Topic starter

Tektronix 455
« on: March 10, 2018, 09:34:50 pm »
I recently inherited a Tektronix 455 from my late grandfather. He was a Ham from the time he was 16. I always told him I would get my license. Anyways, I picked this up out of his radio shack but I couldn't find the probes that go with it. I am just starting in the world of EE and have been learning so much from all of you. Could anyone tell me what type of probes this particular scope uses? Also if there is a manual out there somewhere for it that would be great too.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Justin

Offline Wimberleytech

• Super Contributor
Re: Tektronix 455
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 10:05:21 pm »
I recently inherited a Tektronix 455 from my late grandfather. He was a Ham from the time he was 16. I always told him I would get my license. Anyways, I picked this up out of his radio shack but I couldn't find the probes that go with it. I am just starting in the world of EE and have been learning so much from all of you. Could anyone tell me what type of probes this particular scope uses? Also if there is a manual out there somewhere for it that would be great too.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Justin

Well, for $100 and change, you can get a pair of Tek 100Mhz probes from Mouser:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Tektronix/TPP0101/?qs=hsISgyzc6tM7pvDV4YOgNQ%3D%3D&gclid=Cj0KCQiAoY7VBRDtARIsAHWoO-LjMGU0-avlVT5Sswjd_0HgUv8smROTgPuo4doqvs0oNJA_9fMBhf4aApiQEALw_wcB

Or, you can take your chances on ebay and get a pair of non-tek probes from under $15:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-100MHz-Oscilloscope-Scope-analyzer-Clip-Probe-test-leads-kit-for-HP-Tektronix/122511201317?epid=1050352786&hash=item1c863c9425:g:9sIAAOSw8HBZI6Ux

All of my probes are genuine Tek, but I have a different use model than you.  For $11, I would probably spring for the knock offs and see where you go in your budding career.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 10:45:29 pm »
The first result for in google for Tektronix 455 gets http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/455
You can find the manual there and a few other links, but there is a wealth of info by googling and on youtube.

So the first couple of things to learn when looking for probes is almost essential to understanding the oscilloscope. It's like knowing what fuel your car takes.

Attenuation (this affects the voltage of signal the scope sees) it's common to get switching 1x 10x probes.
Bandwidth (a frequency performance indicator) your scope is 50MHz so a probe over that within reason is fine.
Compensation (used to adjust the probe to the scope) your scope is 20pF so if a probe adjusts over 20pF then that will work.
Impedance (used to match the probe to the circuit) your scope has 1M ohm inputs

That is how you determine that a 50Mhz+ 1M ohm, switching 1x 10x with at least 20pF compensation probe is going to be what you need.

Something like this should be fine, your oscilloscope has two channels (so two probes if you want to use both at once).
https://www.tequipment.net/Elenco/P-2E/Standard-Passive-Oscilloscope-Probes/

Accessories options that come with the scopes are normally found either in the manual or in the sales blurb. Go look up the part numbers if you're interested in getting some secondhand originals. Having a few spares laying around is handy anyway.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 10:47:48 pm »
Personally I'd go with a set of knockoff probes, you can always find some genuine Tek probes later if you decide to. Some of the cheap generic probes are actually reasonably ok, especially for a relatively low bandwidth scope like that.

The following users thanked this post: Wimberleytech

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf