Author Topic: Tektronix 465B Power Supply Problems  (Read 1766 times)

Offline mwgiesbrechtTopic starter

Tektronix 465B Power Supply Problems
« on: May 29, 2017, 11:34:13 pm »
Hello. I suppose since this is my first post I better introduce myself before asking any questions. I'm Matt, from near Winnipeg, Canada. I was a professional archaeologist but now I am going back to school to study electromechanical maintenance. I have a decent, basic electronics knowledge and I have fixed a lot of stuff, but I am definitely better at mechanical repairs than I am at electrical/electronics. For now, anyways. I do want to learn more.

I recently received a Tek 465B scope complete with a DM44 and a scope mobile, effectively for free. The scope powered up and I had shapes on the screen, but the unit would not read out a proper waveform.
By reading through previous posts on this forum, and the service manual, I tracked down the problem (at least A problem) to the -8v supply. The voltage was high and the bridge was malfunctioning, I replaced it as well as the filter cap. I also replaced the bridges for the +15v and +5v rails while I was there, as well as the capacitor for the +5v rail.

To make some of this work easier, I removed the transformer. When it came time to reinstall it, I noticed a wire had come loose from somewhere. This wire (Grey and White) connected to the Main Power Switch, but I was not sure where the other end of it connected to previously. From the schematics (and logic?) it seems like it should connect to the blue mains input wire at the blue stand off on the board, but when I did this, the main external fuse went boom.  :-BROKE It also seems like a wire has broken off of the input voltage selector switch, so maybe that is where the loose wire from the power switch came from. However, then something else must be missing, because the blue wire surely can not just terminate at the blue stand off? There would be no circuit then.

Long story short, if anyone can explain (words and pictures if possible) what the connections on the main power switch, line voltage selector switch, and at the blue stand off should be, I would be very grateful. The schematics are helpful but I wish they would have labelled more of the wire colours.

Thanks for now,
M

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf