Author Topic: Tektronix 7313 Oscilloscope - Is it worth saving?  (Read 3535 times)

Offline VannystickTopic starter

Tektronix 7313 Oscilloscope - Is it worth saving?
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:51:04 pm »
Evening All, This is my first post so I'll try to make it a goodun.

I stopped by an old friends place on Monday to discover he was using a Tektronix 7313 Oscilloscope as a door stop for his shed, and at the time is was under the over flow for the drain off the roof. I whipped out the modules and they looked good so a bit of haggling and I brought it home.

So I've cleaned the casings and pulled it apart. The three modules don't look too bad but as I've pulled the boards out of the main chassis, its not looking great. This is a board above the transformer which has the main power capacitors on;

It really doesn't look too clever!

There are many more picture in this album;

http://s297.photobucket.com/user/vannystick/library/TEK%207313

I'm an automotive engineer by trade, so electronics are not distant to me, but i'm wondering if this is a step too far.

So, for the more experienced in these matters, is it salvageable, and is it worth the effort?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Tektronix 7313 Oscilloscope - Is it worth saving?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 09:14:24 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

I don't hold ANY hope of a successful repair for you, sorry.
Even with considerable experience IMO she looks a gonna.  :--

Very sad that such a good instrument be not stored away for the chance that someone might come along with the skills to take on the repair before it was abused in such a way.
3 choices, take it back, put it on eBay as a parts unit or use it yourself as a donor unit for a similar model you acquire.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 10:07:31 pm »
 :(
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 12:51:51 am »
Wow, that's such a shame, it looks like it was really nice before it was left outside. Who could do that to a Tek?

I think your best option is to part it out, salvaging anything that is in good condition. Knobs, front panel, CRT and anything else usable in order to fix up other similar instruments. Another option is to buy a broken 7313 that has something else wrong with it.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 03:04:14 am »
The power supply is nasty, but the rest of it looks like it just needs some cleaning and maybe some components replaced and traces repaired. The controls will likely need to be thouroughly cleaned and some even replaced if they are too rusty. The case is trashed, just says it's "post apocalyptic" and that instantly makes it cooler. :-+
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 07:31:35 am »
I would test the CRT before bothering to do anything else. Those storage tubes are hard to find and have relatively short lifespans. That may be why it was dumped to begin with.

Offline carl_lab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 10:28:54 am »
The real horror show...  :(

Offline VannystickTopic starter

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 12:26:50 pm »
Thanks for the open and honest feedback back, they have backed up my own conclusions that this is realistically salvage only.

My friend received the scope with a job lot of 80s automotive diagnostic kit. He knew the main unit had a basic scope built in, but the Tek had no plug and his prejudice against smoke made him see the 7313 as nothing more than a paper weight.

He's been suitably told off!

In the end it cost me a beer and I had a fun 30 minutes pulling it apart and cleaning it up.

I'll have to finish off an existing project now.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf