Author Topic: Thurlby Thandar TGA1230 arbitrary waveform generator, display fault  (Read 1351 times)

Offline CambridgeMartTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I've just bought a TTi TGA1230 in lovely condition; it appears to function correctly except that the LCD is very smeary, I've tried adjusting the contrast via the adjustment hidden behind the hole in the panel and it's made a marginal improvemnt, but it's still next to useless. Before I dive in, I was wondering if anyone has a service manual for this or the closely related TGA1240?
Cheers, Martin
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 06:56:59 pm by CambridgeMart »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Thurlby Thandat TGA1230 arbitrary waveform generator, display fault
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 09:37:36 pm »
Looks like a standard 20x4 LCD module.  TTi used off the shelf parts where possible. I’d whip it out and stick a new one in.

Unfortunately no service manual I can see. Drop TTi an email - they are usually very helpful in this respect.

The following users thanked this post: CambridgeMart

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 09:49:54 pm »
I've just bought a TTi TGA1230 in lovely condition; it appears to function correctly except that the LCD is very smeary, I've tried adjusting the contrast via the adjustment hidden behind the hole in the panel and it's made a marginal improvemnt, but it's still next to useless. Before I dive in, I was wondering if anyone has a service manual for this or the closely related TGA1240?
Cheers, Martin
I think I almost got that as well, was it the one on Ebay where seller mentioned the screen was sometimes smeary?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:00:24 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 10:28:10 pm »
Damn didn't see that on eBay. Good price  :-+

Looking at the picture on ebay sold items if it is that one, it's a duff module. About £10-15 on RS so no biggy.

Edit: to note, I saw a device with one of those modules in that looked like that after it had air con blown across it for a long time.

Offline CambridgeMartTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 06:56:38 pm »
Yes, the one in St Neots and he did mention the display was unclear.
Located a 4x20 display that matches the size and, hopefully, pinout for £6.00, should be here in a day or 2.
Having opened it up I've found it's circa 1996, would never have believed it from it's external condition, this clearly never lived in one of my industrial labs!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Thurlby Thandar TGA1230 arbitrary waveform generator, display fault
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 08:03:55 pm »
Yes thats the same one that I was looking at but discounted it because it didn't go high enough, although the screen did actually reasonably clear in the photos.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf