Author Topic: Tektronix TDS 544A issue : Acquisition RAM POST Errors  (Read 18930 times)

Offline VinceTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Tektronix TDS 544A issue : very slow refresh rate
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2017, 10:02:46 pm »
I got some Agilent-branded ones for under $20 shipped

A good deal for sure ! :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 12:56:33 am »
OK, the beast is opened !  :)

Boy, I am so pleased !  This scope is a joy to look at and work on... in 10 seconds it was opened and the CPU and Acqu boards readily accessible, all the components being on the visible/out side, just waiting for you to probe around, a dream !  :D

The components density is surprisingly low, there is plenty of space to probe around, solder wire to help with probing or do mods or repair tracks. And most of the components, are SMD so easy to remove without damaging pads even on high pin count chips, yet the pin pitch on the RAM chips for example, is very large, it will be easy to probe them and hack the area to try and find the faulty chip.

These board are both beautiful to look at, as much as they are pleasing to work on, I find ! I am in love with my scope even more now   :)

So, with such great design and accessibility, I just can't resist the temptation to fiddle with it !  :D

I started looking at the Acq RAM chips of course. They match sheet #25 of the schematic as I thought, with 8 8KB chips per channel, rather than sheet #9 which shows x8 2KB chips.  However I do see some shunt resistor all over the place. So it's a mix between sheet #25 and #9, in this respect...
I will try to correlate the actual PCB with the schematic, to figure out what these shunt resistor do exactly on my scope, before I blow anything  ;-)

Bad news is these RAM chips (datasheet attached below)don't appear to be available anymore, and I can't find a direct substitute for them. Nothing on Farnell, an don Digikey neither but a quick parametric search show they have 17 chips that might potentially cut it, though if you remove those that are only sold in bulk quantities, then only 6 or so remain, none of them in the appropriate package at that, but I guess I could adapt....    Still, would cost an arm and a leg to import from Digikey, for a 5 buck chip.

Can't believe a bloody SRAM chip is so hard to find....  >:(

Manufacturer :  "Performance Semiconductor Corp".   Part Number:  P4C164-20C JC 

They are 8KB ones as we know, CMOS, 5V supply, 28 pin 300mil SO package.   fast 20ns, as the part number suggests...

I can't find trace of this manufacturer, so either it went bankrupt, or it got taken over by a bigger player so tried to find the history of the company on Google to try and figure that out, but failed.

Anyway, let's start probing around ! Voltages and ripple.

I notice there are MLCC's only on the Acquisition board. The CPU board still has electrolytics, but the chap who sold it to me, which I just contacted, said he is sure he replaced all the caps, front panel included, however he says he might have replaced the CPU board with electrolytics again, but top quality Nichicon ones. It was a year ago so he is unsure... regardless, if ever they had indeed not been replaced, it would not be too much trouble doing so, since access is excellent and there aren't that many of them on the CPU board. Plus, I gotta make use of that little hot air station I recently bought, after all !  ;D

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2017, 01:34:09 am »
What do you know !!!  I tried my chance on Ebay and I found the EXACT same memory chip !   

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/P4C164-20JC-SemiConductor-CASE-SOJ-MAKE-PERFORMANCE-/162605837913

At 11 Euros a pop (shipping included thank God) though, I can buy 2 or 3 of them maybe but not more, I certainly can't afford tyo replace all 32 of them, so I really need to figure out what chip it is exactly that's faulty.

But I find it suspicious that this chip is available by some miracle on Ebay but not from the big players like Farnel or Mouser ?! hmm.... maybe these chips are just some crap that may not work proprerly. Maybe if I crack one open, I won't even find a die inside, it will just be a solid piece of plastic !  :-DD

Still, I see no other source so no choice.

If really these chips are crap, I guess I can wait for a cheap donor Acq board to pop up on Ebay... and salvage all the RAM chips. At least some of them must be good...

OK so there are solutions out there, good...

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2017, 02:02:40 am »
Be sure to use a fan on that board when running without the case.  Some of those chips will get extremely hot if you don't.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 02:55:01 am »
Yep, seller told me he put a litel fan right by the hot chips, while trouble-shooting what would later be my scope.

However, thanks for reminding me, because I was gonna do without it at first, being over-enthusiastic as I am, and thinking taht the 5 minutes it xould take me to probe for voltages and ripple, would not be enough to endanger the power hungry chips.

But why take the risk, it's not worth it !  So, I will sort out a fan (or two) before I do any probing on this thing...

Have a dozen of old ATX desktop computer power supplies around, so they may become useful all of a sudden ! LOL  They come with either 80mm or 120mm fans I think, so I even the choice of the fan size. How nice is that. I could also dig out a small 60mm fan if that would be sufficient, because I have a couple left over from my recent Tek 2232 repair.

Oh, and about backing up the NVRAM, actually the seller did it for me ! I forgot about it, but he did, how nice from him.  I just ha da look at the dump. A big 512K RAM but mostly empty ! Maybe the bottom 15% and 10% from the top are used, but everything in  between is blank !  It's all binary data except for the full POST error log which is stored in plain ASCII in the bottom section of the RAM.

He also was thoughtful enough, you might notice it in the pics above if you look carefully, thoughtful enough was I saying, to solder a chip socket on the PCB, so that I can remove the NVRAM easily in the future ! How kind.

Ah, and the schematics make no sense with regards to this NVRAM !  On my PCB/actual scope, NVRAM is denominated U1108, which in the schematic is a 128KB RAM, not 512KB !  Also, next to the NVRAM I have U1107 which is another Dallas "tall" battery backed chip, marked "Watchdog", a DS1286. Downloaded the datasheet, it's the RTC of course, which has 64 registers and therefore only 6 address lines, but on the schematic this U1107 represents a 128KB RAM ! And I can't find the RTC in these schematics.  So I am well lost.... these schematics are supposed (says so in the footer of every page) to be specific to the 544A, my very scope, so I don't understand these inconsistencies... maybe they made variations of this scope but didn't bother telling anyone...

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:57:48 am by Vince »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2017, 01:20:46 pm »
Alright ! Did some probing. Took my time to prepare the probing "session" as well as I could, so that it would hopefully turn out to be as uneventful as possible. I mean, sure I was excited to fiddle with this board, but at the same time pretty scared and anxious... that it would go wrong or that I would do something stupid and blow the thing and cry. First time I have the guts of such a complex piece of engineering on the bench, upside down, and having to keep it turned on and probing it for an extensive amount of time.

So I took my time to prepare the job carefully

1) Found a couple fans in the lab and made a little cable to go with them, some heat shrink, something tidy.  I didn't even have to dig out and dismantle my old computer PSUs: on the shelves I had something more straightforward. An old 3 phase beefy industrial inverter. had two 80mm fans on it, readily accessible, 10 seconds to take them off. Should provide enough airflow. Not too big not too small, two of them, sounded good. 12V DC, powered by the bench/adjustable power supply, I could vary air flow and noise level, impeccable, no overheating to fear, I would be able to safely probe for as long as I fancied, could afford to take all my time.

2) Looked at the "Power Distribution" schematic sheet (attached) to figure out where to probe. At first I thought I would do it quick and dirty by just probing straight onto the pins of the 40pins edge connectors coming form the PSU unit. Then when I looked at the schematic, I had to change plans if I wanted to do a good job : most of the rails had some LC filtering, so I would need to probe downstream of that, if my ripple measurements were to make any sense. Conveniently, most of these rails had test points associated with them, so I decided I would probe all of these... if only I could find them on that huge board !
I thought they would have to be next to the edge connector, but that was stupid from me. Actually all of these test points/LC filters, without any exception, where all the way to the other end of the board ! Makes sense now I guess : most of the board area, the first 2/3 of it, starting from the PSU edge connector, is the fast digital stuff/acquisition area. The sensitive analog stuff is all packed at the very end of the board. So if the LC filtering was done at the connector edge, then these clean rails would have to travel all over the board, traversing high-speed digital stuff, and once arrived at their destination in the analog area, they would not be so clean anymore, I guess ! So makes sense to implement the LC filtering after the digital area, and perform it locally, as closely as possible to the analog circuitry. That's how I understand it anyway.

Finding all the test points (9 of them) was a nightmare, time consuming and eye aching. Took me nearly well over an hour I reckon, brrr. So no way I was gonna go through that pain WHILE probing. I wanted the probing to be quick and efficient.  So I drew a quick sketch of the board, and every time I would manage to locate one of those test points on the board, I would mark it on my sketch, so I could find it easily and quickly, come time to probe it. Sounds like overkill ? Was well worth it to me, probing was then a breeze, I could concentrate on what I was doing and not waste time.

Once I had located all the test points, I made sure I had an appropriate grounding point for the ground lead of the probe to attach to. Last thing I wanted was to improvise grounding during probing, and end up stretching the lead and having the alligator clip maybe pop out and fly on the board, shorting things....
So, once I had the "map" of all my test points, I split them in two groups, and found a safe and efficient grounding point for both of them. First group of test points was in the bottom right corner of board... there happened to be an unpopulated coaxial connector there... was an ideal ground point !
Then the other group of test points was located a bit further north,  in the jitter/interpolator area, near the VCO. There was a PCB mounting hole there... so I just put back its corresponding screw, and the alligator clip had a good grip on it so I was happy.

Then prepared a table on paper, listing all the test points and what voltage was expected, and what DC level I found, and what ripple I found.

I tried to streamline everything so I could concentrate my brain and gestures on probing safely, nothing else.

Was well inspired, all went well and joyfully.

So powered up the scope, a bit anxious... seeing it naked and upside down on the bench, had me a little uneasy/anxious, somehow... so I applied a signal to Channel 1 just to see if it still worked.... and it did. Was at peace then, and I could start probing around....

Results are (see table below for the details)

1) DC levels : all fine. some 5V rails are a tad low but nothing to be worried about I think. 4.9V instead of 5.1V

2) Ripple/AC coupling : absolutely none ! A flat trace. OK, I used a x10 probe so even with amplifier cranked all the way down to 2mV/div, it was 20mV/div on the screen.. still, enough for any abnormal ripple to be visible, if there was any.  At some point, I diiiiid see a tinnnnny ripple, if I put the brightness to the maximum. See picture below. It's really minuscule, but buried in the noise I can see what looks like a periodic signal in there. Amplitude is next to zero so I don't care, but the period seems to be a tad more than one division, say 1.1. Time base is at 10us so that would make for a 90kHz signal, I guess it's in the range of typical SMPS operating frequencies... my Tek 2232 was running at 60kHZ for the preregulator, and about 20kHz for the inverter driving the main transformer.

Test point # |  Expected  | Measured | Ripple
--------------------------------------------------------
    515      |    +15V    |  +15.08  |  Dead Flat
    516      |    -15V    |  -15.01  |  Dead Flat     
    517      |    +5.1V   |  +4.87   |  Dead Flat     
    518      |    -5.1V   |  -4.99   |  Dead Flat     
   1559      |    +5V     |  +4.89   |  Dead Flat     
   1560      |    +5V     |  +4.90   |  Dead Flat     
   1562      |    -5V     |  -5.00   |  Dead Flat     
   1611      |    -5V     |  -5.00   |  Dead Flat     
   1616      |    -5V     |  -4.92   |  Dead Flat

So looks like these MLCC caps are not that bad I guess ?

Oh, TP1612 sorry I could not find.. spent 30minutes trying to find it, no joy !  I did find one that looooooked like it could have been it, see picture : silk screen buried under 2 resistors, couldn't read the TP number in full. Looked like it could potentially be the one, and it was in the expected area : near the inductor/LC filter that corresponds to it. But I did a continuity check with its inductor, which I could locate and... no joy, they are not connected, no luck.

Generally speaking I would have to say that after a while looking at the silk screen of that huge board, you eventually get to a point where you are not as lost/overwhelmed as you were at the beginning, because it turns out that Tektronix used a clever numbering scheme for all the components and test points. Components which belong to a similar sub-circuitry, usually possess a similar "prefix". For example in a given section (channel 1, 2, 3, 4, jitter 1, jitter 2, VCO... you would get for example component numbers which all start with the same digit (for a 3 digit number) or the same 2 digits (for a 4 digit number). So this way you can quickly find your way in this large board : you just have to look for the prefix on the silk screen, and you can "navigate" on the board quite efficiently.  I like it, thanks Tek !   Yeah I know, you will tell me it's a common practice in the industry and that all the manufacturers stick to this naming "convention"... if this is the case then that's great !  :)

As you can see on the schematic, the digital 5V rail has no test point associated with it, probably because it's so easy to locate / probe it anywhere... so many digital chips all over the board ! Most importantly, we can see that unlike all the other rails (being sensitive analog stuff), it is NOT LC filtered ! So I thought if I had to witness some ripple, it would have to be there. So I checked DC voltages directly on the power pin of each and every of the numerous 74XX logic chips I could see on the board. 5.08V for 5.1, perfect. Then I did the same in the Acquisition area : checked the power pin of each and every one of the 32 SRAM chips : a solid 5.08V again, no worries. Then for dessert, I checked for ripple with the scope... AH, I knew it, HERE we have some measurable ripple ! Identical on all 32 SRAM chips.
Was quite noisy and a bit unstable, so switched to store/digital mode and applied averaging, 16 samples. That got me a perfectly stable and clean/sharp trace, so I was able to take pretty decently accurate measurements using the cursors.  See pics. Amplitude is 22mVp-p . Service manual doesn't go to component level so they don't bother giving ripple figures sadly. however if I take the specs for my 2232 as a rough guide, then I would say the TDS is alright. Tek 2232 allows only a few mV of ripple for the analog rails, as you would expect. Only 8mVp-p for the positive rail and even much less, 1.5mV, for the negative rail. However for the beefy 5V rail supplying the storage/digital board, it's less critical : they allow up to 20mV (peak to peak again). So here we have 22mVp-p ... so I guess it's nothing catastrophic and I should be happy....
Ripple is around 30kHz BTW.

So, that was my first probing session on a large digital board... overall thanks to the prep work, it went extremely well and was quite enjoyable. I now feel much more confident about trouble-shooting this scope, doesn't scare/intimidate me any more. You just need to know what you are doing and do things calmly and be organized/plan things.

Thermals : as can bee seen on the pictures, I put the two fans right in front of the heat sinks. I regularly finger checked the heat sinks of course, not knowing what to expect exactly, but I am glad to report that after what must have been almost an hour or so of probing, an extensive amount of time at any rate, the hottest chip, by a small amount, was on channel #1, probably because it was the only active/turned on channel, and even then I would be hard pressed to say that it was "hot". It was somewhere between plain cold and sliiiightly warm-iiiiish. Really barely warmish !  So quite happy. And the fans were not even running full speed, very far from that : 5V for a nominal 12V ! Much more ear friendly, yet plenty enough air flow to keep the chips from overheating.
As soon as I turned off the scope, I flipped it back in the upside position, to check how hot the CPU board had gotten. CPU was dead cold. Only the video controller was a little bit warm, but again nowhere near something I would even remotely consider calling "hot".
So I was quite surprised to be honest !  Pleasantly so, of course.

So now I know I can probe this scope for any amount of time, it will be just fine !

Finally figured it out with the previous owner/seller : yes, he did indeed replace all the electrolytic caps on the CPU and front panel and serial interface board...by Nichicon caps. So still electrolytics, but brand new ones and top quality. So she will be alright won't she.

So quite happy overall with this first intimate contact with this complex machine. To all the newbies like me out there : don't  be afraid of these beasts, you can do it !  ;D

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 02:04:53 pm by Vince »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2017, 11:59:30 pm »
BTW,  although this 20mV ripple does not look like much on the screen, one must consider the x10 probe here, so in fact all the scope had to work with was a tiny 1mV signal, PEAK, yet it could display a stable and clean trace on which we could actually take useful/meaningful measurements.

For a 30 year old "old tech" scope I think it's nothing to be ashamed of !  So I am really glad I have this little 2232 scope, more than happy to have spent 2 months fixing it recently.. he deserved that attention and paid me back today... So, I say we ought to show some appreciation to these old scopes, they deserve a big pat on the back.....
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 12:01:33 am by Vince »

• Super Contributor
Re: Tektronix TDS 544A issue : Acquisition RAM POST Errors
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2017, 07:09:24 pm »
Progressing : after 48 Hours of a very rough road (learning as I go...) I have finally got GPIB working on my old 200MHz Pentium. The NI's ISA GPIB controller card I bought works just fine. Downloaded drivers, utilities and application software from NI's website, for both MS-DOS and Windows 95.
Got it to work just fine in both environments.

So now that old Tektronix GPIB service software has the legacy hardware it required to connect to the scope.... and I also have the practical/user friendly GUI on Win95 to easily connect to any GPIB instrument, set up experiments, scan the bus, do whatever you can do with GPIB instruments, all in on nice easy to use interface. Can't wait to receive my GPIB cable and start playing with it !  Hopefully it will tell me what RAM chip is bad exactly....

While waiting for the cable to arrive from China, which may take a month or more, I will keep trying to find the faulty chip "by hand". 

I also just found this interesting thread on a specialized Tektronix forum, " Tek.com " :

https://forum.tek.com/viewtopic.php?f=568&t=137307

.. where someone explains how to connect to the internal "service port" of the CPU board, using a serial cable/terminal.
I have bags of old serial cables no worries, so I am very tempted to try this out, to see if the scope might spit out useful debug information during boot... and if not, well would still be fun to try !  ;D 

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 07:12:28 pm by Vince »

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2017, 09:07:22 pm »
Progressing : after 48 Hours of a very rough road (learning as I go...) I have finally got GPIB working on my old 200MHz Pentium. The NI's ISA GPIB controller card I bought works just fine. Downloaded drivers, utilities and application software from NI's website, for both MS-DOS and Windows 95.
Got it to work just fine in both environments.

Looks good.  Does the software support all of the TDS 5/6/7 scopes, or just the 544A?

I also just found this interesting thread on a specialized Tektronix forum, " Tek.com " :

https://forum.tek.com/viewtopic.php?f=568&t=137307

.. where someone explains how to connect to the internal "service port" of the CPU board, using a serial cable/terminal.
I have bags of old serial cables no worries, so I am very tempted to try this out, to see if the scope might spit out useful debug information during boot... and if not, well would still be fun to try !  ;D

That's actually Tektronix's official customer support forum.  It's not too active, but some very knowledgeable people occasionally pop up there.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2017, 10:04:05 pm »
Looks good.  Does the software support all of the TDS 5/6/7 scopes, or just the 544A?

The version I have, according to the release notes, was the initial release, v1.5, which supported only the 544A. You've got start somewhere.
But then I also have a copy of the next revision of the software, v1.65, whose release notes say taht they added support for the the rest of the 'A' series, as well as "vanilla"/original 500 series. You just have to select the model you want to work with, in the "DUT" menu (see top left of the screen). I looked at the files and basically they just added new definition files for each model, and then you just load the one you want...

If that software worked on the original and then on the 'A' series, I don't see why they would not have kept it using it for the later models.... but then I don't know where to find definition files for the other models. I just happened to have the 544A because the gentlemen who sold the scope to me was kind enough to supply it, as well as a backup of the NVRAM, and the schematics.

I attached below a copy of what I have so you can see for yourself.

That's actually Tektronix's official customer support forum.  It's not too active, but some very knowledgeable people occasionally pop up there.

Thanks, good to know.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2017, 10:30:22 pm »
I imagine similar software may also exist for the TDS 600/700 series. Whether it is publicly available is a different matter. Looks like most of it is attached to this post.

Not sure if the link has been posted yet, but there may also be some helpful software on Hakan H.'s site.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2017, 11:58:35 am »
Thanks for the links alm, didn't know about them.. bookmarked now.

As I go , I realize there IS lots of info, tips and tricks, experiences etc on these scopes.. but it's scattered all over the place, either here or in other forums like Tek.com or Tekscope, so one is likely to miss 90% of it, which is sad because these scopes are popular, for good reasons, and will continue to be popular for quite some time I feel, just because they represent such excellent value for money compared to a similar spec new Tektronix. Prices just don't come down, even 25 years later, and there is no reason to believe they ever will : Tektronix has to make a living !

So I think it would be worth creating a central resource, a focal point, a "sticky" thread or whatever... where all the interesting info is gathered in one place, so that people who get one of these scopes can get up to speed quickly, efficiently, and not miss potentially interesting or useful information.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2017, 01:11:59 pm »
The TekWiki might not be a terrible place for some of that. A wiki is easier to keep up to date and organized than a thread. I am not sure if the mods want a sticky thread per model, but that is not my call to make. I usually search both the eevblog forum (the built-in search engine sucks) and the TekScopes Yahoo! group archives for information.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2017, 07:38:58 pm »
I thought a sticky thread on EEVBlog would be the easiest for people to contribute too, and the best place (most traffic happens on EEVBlog these days, it's quite a famous forum now). Less formal too, I mean this wiki site looks more like a very polish and static "museum". We would need something less formal but more practical oriented. A Wiki needs much more discipline (and technical knowledge) to contribute to, than a standard forum like EEVBlog, this would limit the number of people that would actually be able to contribute to the document. Tek.com has not enough traffic as I was justs told, and Tekscope/yahoo is technically a pain to deal with, too cumbersome. To teh point that I actually see people there pointing newcomers to thread on HERE.
So in all I think EEVBlog is the best place, and a simple sticky would be just fine, in the "repair" section of the forum it would be at home.

Anyway, for now I will just have to do like you and everyone else, ie search this forum and Tekscope and Tek.com.

Ah, I could not resist : just bought another GPIB Cable ! From the seller in the UK who had wa few for sale. His auctions ended just 5 minutes ago. Starting prince was reasonable so I tried my chance 30 seconds before the end of the auction, and what do you know, there were no bidders on these cables !  So I got one, yeah !  He had several for sale, picked a 2 meters long one. Also had a molded type one, but I preferred this one he had too, that's the one I bought :

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/322614513374

...because although the picture is crappy, it looks like the connectors are metallic and screwed, not molded. So this way if the cable does not work, or works unreliably due to a bad connection or broken wire, I might be able to open p the connector and fix the wires.

So that's too cables in the mail now !  :)  Both there advantages and disadvantages. The one forom  China is new... but might be crap/useless and may take a very long time to come. Used one is... old, so probably better construction/better quality. Possibility of bad wires but as I said offset by the fact that it might be possible to open it up to fix it. But also, cable is in the UK so not far from France, so should arrive much more quickly. 
With these too cables hopefully one of them will be good/usable, and if both turn out to be good well, no worries, the whole point of GPIB is to use several cable to chain instruments ! 

Oh, the NI GPIB software on Windows is driving me mad already : at first I installed it with the controller card configured to used the older PC2 controller. Was all fine. Then I tried ti improve things and switch to the newer PC2A not PC2. Works perfectlty under MS-DOS, but on Windows the NI software, when I deleted the PC2 interface and tired to add a PC2A instead... well see screen cpatur bleow ! How odd ?!  It COMPLAINS, and "STRONGLY" asks me to revert to the older PC2 ! What the ?!

What's point of me buying a nice genuine NI's hybrid PC2/PC2A controller card, if their software then forces me to stick to the old PC2 ? Weird.

So I reverted to PC2 non choice.

I ma not worried, it's gonna work just fine I bet, but if PC2A was brought to market then I guess that's because it introduced some desirable things.. better performance and/or more features. I am logically wondering what the differences are exactly, so that I know what I will be missing !

If anyone knows... might post on the forum about that. Couldn't find info on Google somehow (OK I didn't try for hours...).

Offline andy2000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2017, 01:18:11 am »
The Tek calibration software has its own built in driver, so you don't need to worry about the DOS and Windows drivers unless you want to use other software with it.  That's the reason the calibration software only works with those specific cards.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2017, 01:41:09 am »
The Tek calibration software has its own built in driver, so you don't need to worry about the DOS and Windows drivers unless you want to use other software with it.  That's the reason the calibration software only works with those specific cards.

Yep that's what I thought too. However I still needed/wanted/welcomed NI's DOS utility tools so that I could, by trial and error, figure out how to set an undocumented dip switch on the board.  I bought a genuine NI board, NI has a 68 pages long "getting started with GPIB" guide which is based on my very board, but somehow they decided to skip completely the one and only switch that was not obvious. DMA/INT/base address sure, covered, but that other switch, I had to figure out myself. So once I was sure that the card was configured properly and working well, then only I could start looking at the Tek software. Thing is, this software too gives me headaches : when you run the installer, it asks you about some mystery switch on the GPIB board, but really I couldn't make sense of it/figure it out. So, had I failed to get that Tek software running, I wouldn't have known if it were because the default value offered for this mystery switch, was not the right one, and/or if the GPIB board was defective (it 's 25 year old untested unit after all ! )and/or mis-configured and/or some problem with the host computer.

So once was I  sure, thanks to NI test/diag programs, that the board was 1) not defective 2) configured properly, then at least I knew that the Tek S/W, if it failed, would not be because of my board, but more likely due to me not knowing what to do with the mystery switch setting it would ask me about. I still have non clue what this switch is for, and I will most likely never know, but luckily the software decided to work so I guess the offered default value was good enough !  Phew.

Anyway, I made some progress on the repair, so much so that actually I think I may well have fixed it !  :)
A tad presumptuous I know, only time will tell if I really fixed it or not, I guess...
If it behaves for 3 or 6 months, I will call it a success... let's be modest because it's the first time I work on such a complex piece of gear, I mean it's no toaster or coffee machine for sure !

Lots to say, so let's stick to chronological order so as not to get lost in too much digression.

-  I was again studying the schematics to try to figure out a safe way to individually disable these SRAM chips. So in order to safely do that, I had to REALLY understand how it was all put together. If you just want to skim the surface then it's simple : the board was meant for 8K chips (28pins) so as to cater for the largest memory these 500 'A' series could have, i.e. 50K points (schematic sheet #25, for channel A as an example), but could also be fitted with the smaller 2KB chips (24 pins), as seen on sheet #9, as posted earlier. The 3 shunt resistors we see are not there to help you debug in any way, I think, but more to "patch" the PCB so that it can be modified on the fly on the production line to accept either memory chips. That's scratching the surface.
Now when I tried to dig deeper to REALLY 100% understand what was going on, I failed, because I ran into inconsistencies between those two schematic sheets, and saw things that I just could not make sense of. So, I probed around on the board, to try to suss it out, but this only revealed even more inconsistencies ! So, I gave up, at least for the time being.
One thing was for sure though : as was hinted at by someone earlier on, the shunt resistor that runs from Vcc to the active high chip select line... is indeed redundant : I removed a couple of them on some random SRAM chips, just to see for myself, and indeed there is a trace inside the PCB (not on the visible/top layer), that shorts the pins, so no need for this resistor, you might as well remove them all and make the scope a little lighter  ! LOL

- So I came back to my earlier idea : if I couldn't isolate individual chips safely, at least maybe I could narrow it down to a particular channel/bank of chips, by taking control of that 'CSA' line, coming from the MUX chip, which enables the entire bank of chips at once. There is conveniently a resistor in line, which I could remove. This would isolate all the chips from the MUX CS output and I could then safely drive this common enable pin at will. So, WHERE is this resistor ?
Couldn't find it anywhere... had to be on the UNDER side of the board, my luck ! :-\   Just what I did NOT want to do : touching these 8 tiny and fragile looking coax connectors so I can flip the board !  :(
So before I did that and potentially did some irreversible damage to these connectors... I decided to at least try and confirm the existence of these resistors, and that they were not shorted or god knows what, again ! This scope being full of surprises...
So I used the ohmmeter, probing the top side of the board to blindly search for this resistor... and luckily I was able to demonstrate it's existence, YES, at last something that goes according to the schematics ! LOL....  or almost : it's not a 27.4 K resistor, no.. it's a 27.4 OHMS one ! What looks like a 'K' on the schematic, is in fact an 'R' with its head chopped off, go figure.

So, knowing that this resistor, and the hopes that were associated with the debugging it would allow, did indeed exist... I decided to take the risk to unplug/mess all these coax connectors.

- Debugging could commence !  I removed the resistor from Channel 4, just because it was the closest to me so was more convenient...
Then powered-up the scope, as soon as it had booted up, I ran to the utility menu to see the error log. This mod caused about a page and a half of new errors ! Sure I expected "some"... just not THAT many ! LOL  Luckily most of them were memory related which made sense isn't it... But the most important were the last two lines, the very last lines... guess what ? Yep, there were my usual 2 R/W AcqMem errors again, at 0x7300000 and 0x7320000 (from memory, pun intended).
So this kinda demonstrated that I could isolate the faulty RAM chip this way. So, I kept going, disabling CH4 + CH3, still got my 2 usual errors. So disabled Ch4 + Ch3 + CH2.. still there. Great I thought, found it, the faulty chip is on Ch1 !  But, because I wanted to be real sure... I disabled Ch1 as well... juuuust... to see.
Glad I did, somehow : the errors would still show up ! Yes, even with ALL 4 channels disabled ! Then I spent quite some time doing more trials, trying out pretty much all 16 different possibilities of enabling/disabling channels. Not all 16 of them, but at least 10 that's for sure. The 2 errors would not go away.

- So at this point, it kinda implied that the root cause of the problem maybe was a bit more upstream. Still on the Acq board, but a bit more upstream.. or even why not, even further up, on the CPU board. After all the POST always displayed TWO error categories : "Acquisition" and "Acquistion / Processor".
So, from the start it kinda implied that maybe, just maybe, the problem was somewhere at the interface of these two boards, in some way.
Still, point is : it looked like the problem was not related to the RAM chips, it was now something vague that I had absolutely zero idea how to trouble shoot ! I thought I would probably end up with an expensive door stop, and cry. I thought with some luck, GPIB would be able to give me a clue/starting point, though I was not really counting on it, trying to be realistic...
So, since the GPIB cables are not there yet, and before I put the scope on storage while waiting for them to arrive, I decided to do 2 things, as a last, desperate attempt. First I reflowed the big MUX chips, and all 32 SRAM chips, just in case, though I was not holding much hope since they all looked quite nice to me. But why not. Then, I gave the underside a quick visual inspection, even though there is nothing on there but a bunch of tiny passive components, and definitely no bulky and leaky electrolytic caps. So I just didn't to see anything suspicious on that side of the board. Still, again, for good measure and because I was desperate....
As expected, not much to look at. I only noted maybe a small group of components whose solder joints looked less shiny than the rest of the board, but really nothing dramatic, at least with my naked eyes. So for good measure, I put some IPA on there, and scrubbed the components with and ESD safe "tooth brush", that made the joints looks a bit better. Then I reflowed all the area with my cheap and newly acquired hot air station... if just to justify its presence in my lab ! LOL
Really didn't think much of any of the above two actions.  So flipped the ACQ board and reconnected all the ribbon and coax cables. Powered up the scope..... what do you know, clear POST and no new errors in the log ?!  :wtf:
Too good to be true, for sure ! So I put the cover back on, so I can have the thermals right and do some proper/further testing. Powered up the scope, started to boot, OK, graphics routines displaying funny things as always, no worries, OK... was eagerly waiting for POST to complete and tell me the result !!!  ... but.... the boot sequence did NOT complete ! Halfway, the screen turned all black, and the scope froze in mid air ! WHAT ?!!!  Oh no !!!!!

So, put the scope back on the bench, opened it up... turned out I had connected the 'D1' board upside down ! That's the board/"cable" that sends the CPU data and address buses to the ACQ board and the Video trigger board if you have this option.  Yes, it is actually possible to plug this board the wrong way, and the scope WILL power up and start booting, it will NOT blow up... but it will never complete the boot sequence either. So just in case this happens to someone... no need to panic, just check that board ! LOL

So, corrected that, put the cover back on again, started it... OK works now, phew !!!!
POST is still clean but, hey wait a minute... there is not graticule on the screen, and no trace at all, what the ?!
Rushed to see the error log.... flooded with all kinds of weird and wonderful things ! NOOOOOO !!!!
At this point, I hesitated between committing suicide and/or throwing the scope out the window !!!
I was totally desperate. Then I thought hmmm... why not try that "Tek Secure Erase" thing that one of you taught me the other day, which did wonders.... and sure enough it did wonders !  That cleared all the errors, trace was back on the screen and all was fine again !  :D
Retrospectively, I guess it was obvious : I had put the D1 board back to front so obviously the data and address buses, and lots of control signals of all kinds, were all mixed up. So no wonder this led to bags of errors, which I would later see once I had corrected my mistake and the scope had actually a chance to boot and display them. So since I had now corrected my mistake, all that was needed was to clear all these errors. Sounds logical afterwards, but in the heat of the action, trust me I could not think clearly that's for sure... I was overwhelmed by this feeling of helplessness and despair !  :scared:  Lack of sleep didn't help either, I wasn't exactly at my best, at 5AM again.

So, cleared the errors, cycled the scope, a clean POST would follow, and still no new errors showing up in the log... looking good. Cycled the scope 2 or 3 times, still good. Did a quick sanity check on all 4 channels, displaying a 1MHz sine wave, trying all the basic stuff, looking good. So decided to give it a good run : I let it run/warm up for 8 hours, while I was getting some much needed sleep. When I woke up, scope was still running fine. Checked the error log, no errors were triggered during these 8 hours. Cycled the power, still good. Sanity check still good. So then I turned it off and let it cool down for about 2 hours. Then powered it back up again, still clear POST and no new errors in the log, sanity check still good.  So.. I decided that I would call this a "fix" for now !!!

I mean, I don't think it's just shear luck ? When I was playing with the ACQ board, disabling/enabling channels for literally hours, I got my 2 errors EVERY SINGLE TIME !  And then, I reflow the chips, and brush up and reflow a few passives and all is well ??? I must have done something right ! Well, something that helped at least. I don't think it was reflowing the digital stuff that helped, because of everything I said above. However I think that the few passives I brushed on the underside of the board, are more likely to be the culprit :

1) When I looked at them with my naked eyes, they didn't look that bad. Sure not very shiny, but really nothing to write home about, or so it seemed. But I took macro pics of these joints just so I can document this thread, and because well.... I like macro PCB "porn", I admit  LOL  So, looking back at these components, this time on the PICTURES... boy, sure enough those joints were crap !!! Oh dear...

2) The corresponding area on the top side of the board, is actually in the analog section, the part of the board that got 99% of the damage from the electrolyte. There are like 2 or 3 dozens vias in this small area (like 10 square inches or so, see pictures), so maybe the electrolyte managed to seep into these via and get to contaminate the underside of the board this way. Don't know.

3) Analog part it might be (mostly a couple TL074 quad op-amps), but according to the schematics this affected area is none the less firmly involved with the acquisition circuitry (well, its the ACQ board, admittedly ! ). The sheet is named "CLOCK DAC BUFFERS  & ACQUISITION CLOCKS"....  these op-amps drive two fancy ECL logic chips that have to do with the acquisition clocks of all 4 channels, so surely must be important  ;D

So I could have left it at that and moved on... but that's not me, I needed more out of this repair... so I looked at the macro pictures and realized that one of the two TL074 chips had one of its side heavily reworked with lots of ugly flux residue, it seemed to me.  No way I would leave the scope like this, so I pulled the cover again, cleaned that up, then realized that in fact there was flux residue all over the analog part of the board, the part that got the initial electrolyte damage. So I cleaned that up too, taking care not to damage the many tiny wires that had had been soldered in many places to repair broken traces.

Then I thought well, for extra peace of mind, why not check some voltages in this op-amp area, to make sure the scope is indeed feeling OK and not "on the verge, may fail again any time ! ".  So I looked more closely at the schematic, that's sheet #20, then wanted to get a broader picture/understanding, so I rewound the signal path upstream, and landed on sheets #19 and #18. All 3 attached below, so you can follow me along.
I quite liked this section, found it interesting somehow (a mix of analog and digital, and simple text-book design that even I could understand), so I decided to do more than the bare minimum, and meant to spend say an hour probing around, once I had first ensured that vital signs were doing well.  The service manual does not go component level, so if one wants juicy details, one has to probe around and figure out things by himself. So I did.

So, this section spans these 3 sheets. This is how I understand it :  at the beginning (sheet #19), we have a DAC, U900. This DAC produces analog voltages for a whole slew of signals, 4 of them being the ones we are interested in here (sheet #20) : "ADLY, BDLY, CDLY and DDLY". The DAC output is symmetrical and has a peak amplitude of 10.24V.  I checked, it's good. Uses a 10V reference as well, this one is good too (9.990V). The output is then scaled down by a simple voltage divider (R903/R904), then "buffered" by an op-amp wired as a voltage follower, as you do. Test point TP 912 at its output indicates 1.71Volts, I get that too, no worries.
From this point, this 1.7V signal is the analog source signal that will then be fed all over the place, to a bunch of analog 1 to 8 switches/demux, in the form of simple 4000 CMOS chips, 4051 to be precise. You can see one of them near the DAC of course, but also many more on sheet #18. So basically, the DAC produces various voltages, its output is constantly changing (see pictures) . The CPU drives this army of analog switches, and the DAC, in unison: it selects a particular analog line via these many switches, then it asks the DAC to produce the appropriate voltage for that particular signal, whatever it might be. Then, CPU switches to the next analog signal, asks the DAC for a different output, and so on, it goes round all the analog signals one by one, round and round. The switch we are interested in here, is U941, bottom right corner of sheet #18, so I probed that one. I probed its INH(ibit) pin, so I could see 1) for how long a particular output would be turned on and 2) the "refresh rate" of a given output : how often does the switch serve a given output/signal.  See pictures below, from the Tek 2232. I didn't both measuring precisely using the cursors, I just wanted to get an idea, but you can see for yourself easily enough, the readout indicates gain and time base settings.  So, it turns out that a given output is "ON" for about 60/65us, and is "refreshed" every 6ms or so. So it's "ON" only 1% of the time.
That's bad I thought... we want presumably a stable/DC voltage, not some chopped off signal ! My fears were soon to be cleared, once I switched back to sheet #20. Here we can see that the 4 signals, one for each of the 4 input channels of the scope, and the first thing see we see in the path, is a little 10nF capacitor, which I guess is all it takes to hold the charge/voltage steady, in between refresh cycles. Indeed I measured it, it's a perfectly flat/steady voltage, no worries. The capacitor symbol is a weird looking 3 terminal thingy. I thought well, must be some kind of special purpose component, designed for this type of application. Cool I thought, I will learn something. So I looked at the board, searching for a 3 terminal thing...nothing to be found, in practice they used a bog standard 2 terminal cap, nothing special whatsoever ! Was kinda disappointed.

Obviously, before going any further, first thing they did was again put a voltage follower op-amp, before doing any further processing. Then the next op-amp is wired as an inverting amp, again a text book example, which does some signal conditioning. It does 2 things at once from what I can see (other than inverting the signal, obviously) :  1) it scales the signal down, from a 3.4V span (+/- 1.7V again), down to a 1.5V excursion (from -3V to -4.5). Then it adds some negative offset, so that the signal is negative at all times. I measured that, works fine again. Have a -3.0V output for a -1.7V input.

And that's about it, we have reached the end of our little journey : this signal is then fed to the input of that ECL logic chip, which then turns this single-ended signal into a differential clock output. Multiply all this by 4 of course, for all 4 channels of the scope.

Now we can sit back and wonder about a few little things we noticed along the way :

1) The DAC appears to be 12 bits (12 bit wide data bus at least, according to the schematic), but looks like the CPU only uses 8 bits : the bus driving the DAC is only 8 bit wide : the upper 4 bits are repeats of the lower 4 bits. Well maybe the CPU is writing to the DAC in two steps, a byte first, then the remaining 4 bits. Haven't pulled the DAC's datasheet/dug any further (it's an AD 667 ) to see if it's a possibility.
However, the CPU is a 68020 IIRC, so full 32 bits data bus, so plenty capable enough to write the 12 bit word in one single step, why break it down into two accesses ?  Less data lines on the Acq board maybe meant easier routing and /or less digital noise to deal with, especially since that DAC is in the middle of the sensitive analog area of the board, so it must keep it quiet so to speak, I guess ???  As always, any knowledgeable input is most welcome !  :)

2) The DAC outputs a symmetrical 10V signal, but I don't see any negative supply voltage going to it ?? I only see the positive 10V reference voltage, which I measured.  There is a capacitor connected to it though, so maybe, just maybe but I find it very unlikely, it uses a charge pump MAX232 style, to produce its negative 10V by himself, locally ? Silly I know, forget I said that ! LOL

3) "our" analog switch, U941, uses only its first 4 outputs, so technically you only need the two lower order select pins, the third select pin can just be tied to ground, but go figure they decided to drive it anyway ?!  OK, out of 7 switches, it's the only one that doesn't require all 3 select inputs to be driven, so maybe they just wanted to rationalize/streamline the routing/design, I don't know.

Anyway, I quite enjoyed working on my scope, love it more than ever now that I saw its guts up close and got my hands dirty, and am glad I could fix it.

Goes to show that indeed, a thorough visual inspection is the first thing to do, always. Alllllll- ways.  That said, again I could not see much with naked eyes, I just got lucky. It definitely motivates me to get a microscope (meant to anyway) so that I can easily look at solder joints in detail and not miss any thing. Had I had a microscope, I would have taken the board out of the scope first thing, and inspected it from edge to edge, and sure enough I would have spotted these horrible joints right away, in a matter of seconds, no dicking around for weeks or months, chasing red herrings again (my specialty, trademark ! LOL ) like these RAM chips or whatever else might have been next !

So if the scope fails again, I will go straight at this ACQ board again and inspect all the joints really, really well. Hopefully by the time it fails (though there is no obligation to do so, please, little TDS ! LOL ), I will be better equipped. My lab is still in its infancy, getting a bit better by the month, but still ways to go.

Time for the attachments. I put a pic of the underside of the board, highlighting the area of concern/dodgy joints, in red. Also a pic of the top side. The red area corresponds to the red one on the underside of course. There you can see the two Quad op-amps TL074.
In yellow it's the area that initially got damaged by the electrolyte. This is where the chap who fixed the scope prior to selling it to me, had to do a lot (a lot) of rework/fixing. So that's all over this area that I found flux residue, which I cleaned.  In light blue is the area corresponding to the section spanning the 3 schematic pages that we just "studied"/probed, i.e. the original red area + some more.

So this is it, scope is fixed !  So now I can switch to the more "fun" stuff : connect to the GPIB port as soon as I get my cables, so I can :

- recover the FFT feature / Advanced Math / Option 2F , which is supposed to be standard on the 544A I gather, but which somehow is missing on my particular scope ! I hear it's just a bit to flip in the NVRAM, so let's do that. Try at least.

- see if there are some more cool options I could activate via software.

- back-up my firmware which is revision 3.8.3, and upgrade it to the newest revision : I see on KO4BB site, that there is a 3.8.4 release. No idea what got changed in that release, though ! Any idea ? There is just the FW image, no accompanying "Readme" file.

- see if there is some hack available to improve the scope. I seem to remember that this scope can be upgraded to 4GS/s sampling rate ??

- As for analog bandwidth/front-end, I saw somewhere that a simple H/W hack (adding 4 resistors on some existing but unpopulated footprints, somewhere, (Attenuator board I guess...), is all it takes to upgrade from 1GHz to 2 or 4GHz can't remember. Sounds too good to be true but well, if Rigol did such things, why not Tek at the time.... 
I guess it makes sense to design for the high-bandwidth scopes,  only one front-end / R&D cost to pay for, then limit it artificially on the lower end/cheaper scopes, rather than design a purposefully limited/lower spec front-end.
However I don't recall if this applied to the 500A series, or the 700 series, not that I know what are H/W differences between a 500 and 700 anyway, or with the 600 series even, for that matter  ! Still a lot to learn eh...  :P

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:39:22 am by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2017, 04:01:50 am »
Just noticed on the waveforms above. I measured (roughly) the "ON" time of a individual port of our switch to be 65us.   I thought well, I could just as well have measured it at the output of the DAC, from its "stepped" waveform, you can easily see how long it holds the voltage for a given signal. So I thought well it should match what I measured on the switch. But not quite... the DAC holds it for what, 100us ? And the switch for only 65us, 35us less ?

I guess the CPU is allowing for some setup and hold time here, at the switch ??  Plus the timing required by the CPU signals to actually drive the control pins of the switch.   Would be easier if we could arrange a meeting with the engineer(s) who designed the thing, sure I would learn lots of interesting stuff... and hopefully understand all the little things that puzzle me every time I look at some schematic...

At any rate at the end it all checks out : the "OFF" time of the switch, appended to the "ON" time (duration between too successive falling edges of the INH pin) as we can see, all adds up to the same 100us we see at the DAC output, so all is well, of couuuuurse, how else could it be...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:42:02 am by Vince »

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2017, 11:20:06 am »
1) The DAC appears to be 12 bits (12 bit wide data bus at least, according to the schematic), but looks like the CPU only uses 8 bits : the bus driving the DAC is only 8 bit wide : the upper 4 bits are repeats of the lower 4 bits. Well maybe the CPU is writing to the DAC in two steps, a byte first, then the remaining 4 bits. Haven't pulled the DAC's datasheet/dug any further (it's an AD 667 ) to see if it's a possibility.
However, the CPU is a 68020 IIRC, so full 32 bits data bus, so plenty capable enough to write the 12 bit word in one single step, why break it down into two accesses ?  Less data lines on the Acq board maybe meant easier routing and /or less digital noise to deal with, especially since that DAC is in the middle of the sensitive analog area of the board, so it must keep it quiet so to speak, I guess ???  As always, any knowledgeable input is most welcome !  :)
From the datasheet:
Microprocessor compatiblity is achieved by the on-chip double-buffer latch. The design of the input latch allows direct interface to 4-, 8-, 12-, or 16-bit buses.
My guess is that the performance gain from going to 12-bit was irrelevant, and eight signals are easier to route.

2) The DAC outputs a symmetrical 10V signal, but I don't see any negative supply voltage going to it ?? I only see the positive 10V reference voltage, which I measured.  There is a capacitor connected to it though, so maybe, just maybe but I find it very unlikely, it uses a charge pump MAX232 style, to produce its negative 10V by himself, locally ? Silly I know, forget I said that ! LOL
According to the same datasheet, it should be powered by a symmetric +/- 12V or 15V power supply. You should measure a positive voltage between pin 8 and pin 16, and a negative voltage between pin 10 and pin 16.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2017, 02:41:28 pm »
According to the same datasheet, it should be powered by a symmetric +/- 12V or 15V power supply. You should measure a positive voltage between pin 8 and pin 16, and a negative voltage between pin 10 and pin 16.

Stupid me (again) !  As usual the power pins are not represented, of course... but I guess my brain thought that a special case might be made for a "hybrid" part like a DAC is, and that if the Vref_in input was represented then why not the power supplies.

But.... just had another look at the schematic and do you see something interesting ? Yes.... at the bottom left corner they put a table summarizing, for each chip present on that sheet, what voltage goes to what pin....  one just needs to read, indeed as makes sense, it's supplied with the +/- 15V , on pin 8 and 10 as you said.  Depends on the vintage of the scope it seems. For this TDS they give the power supply pin in a little table on eah schematic page, but on my Tek 2232 instead, they gather every power supply pins in the "Power Distribution" sheet.

I guess I should stop working on gear so late into the night, it just keeps biting me but somehow I just can't help : as long as I can keep my eyes open, and as long as I don't run out of ideas on what to do next... I just won't stop working on the thing. Then I see the sun rise and ohhh... might be time to go to bed !   :=\

But that's just because I am on vacation... one more week to go then I will have to be more reasonable and not work so late into the night on these things. The error rate should then hopefully drop a bit !  :P

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:15:10 pm by Vince »

Offline andy2000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2017, 03:42:42 pm »
Your posts have prompted me to finally finish my own 544A that I started to recap a few months ago. 

On powering it up for the first time after the recap it has errors at 0x7300000 and 0x7320000.  It's also reporting "Dac Range Test.** DAC system failure".  Based on your experience, it looks like those memory addresses aren't part of the acquisition memory.  They might be related to addressing U900.  I'll start my trouble shooting in that area and see what I find. 

At the moment, it has no trace on any channel.  I think the lack of a trace is caused by a trigger issue because the armed LED is on solid regardless of the trigger mode. 

A complete memory map for these scopes would be useful.  Did you happen to make a note of the addresses for each channel when you were disabling memory?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2017, 05:01:14 pm »
Your posts have prompted me to finally finish my own 544A that I started to recap a few months ago. 

Hell, glad all the crap I write actually is of use to someone, I am pleased !  :D
Even more so considering that ultimately, YOU were the one that led me to getting this scope fixed ! I mean, trying to use your technique of forcing control lines to purposefully trigger errors to try to get more clues.... was what led me to looking at the UNDER side of the board, and ultimately finding the corroded joints that were the root cause of the problem !  So thanks  :)

On powering it up for the first time after the recap it has errors at 0x7300000 and 0x7320000.

Oh, interesting indeed, those two particular addresses again !

It's also reporting "Dac Range Test.** DAC system failure".  Based on your experience, it looks like those memory addresses aren't part of the acquisition memory.  They might be related to addressing U900.  I'll start my trouble shooting in that area and see what I find. 

Yep sounds like the plan !

At the moment, it has no trace on any channel.  I think the lack of a trace is caused by a trigger issue because the armed LED is on solid regardless of the trigger mode.   

Sounds quite a reasonable assumption to say the least, go for it !

I mean, anyway, the analog part of the board is not that huge. Do'nt waste time lie I did, trying to trouble-shoot it from the top side, probing arouind, trying to elaborate convoluted theores.... when it all it was corrosion again !
So just go tstraith at it : removed the ACQ board from the chassis, so you can inspect both the top AND underside of it. Look at the analog /right-most third of the board area, for any dull-looking joints, any that don't shine as much as there surrounding borthers, then go straight at any such joints with a microscope if you have one, or any other means of magnifying the view. As you saw on my pictures, a sa get go, the macro mode from my cheap compact camera was good enough to clearly see the actual, sorry state of these joints !

But really I don't see the point of wasting time doing any-troubleshooting until this thorough inspection of all solder joints, is performed. Otherwise you will end up like me, chasing red herrings, one after another, for months and months probably... do yourself a favor and skip these painful steps, go straight at the joints, show them no mercy ! ;-)

A complete memory map for these scopes would be useful.  Did you happen to make a note of the addresses for each channel when you were disabling memory?

No, as I explained in my post the errors gave me no obvious clue about this, sadly !  The very first channel/RAM bank that I disabled via this "CSA" signal, led to a page and half of errors, which I can take pictures of, if you want, but I couldn't find anything obvious in there, was full of very diverse things...
And then for all further disabling/enabling channel combination I tried, somehow none of them led to ANY errors, other than the original two 730/732 ones of course, which would show over and over again, every time.

BTW, I now have an awful lot of errors in the log, and I notice the scrolling on the screen is painfully SLOW/unresponsive... I wonder why that is ? I mean if it were a 100KHz 4 bit CPU processing the strings, and pulling them out of a dog slow I2C EEPROM... maybe I could understand if it were a bit slow... but here we have a hell of a CPU, a 68K, pulling the strings from the NVRAM which is a parallel / fast static RAM, so should be lightening quick at retrieving and displaying these ASCII strings ! I don't understand....  This scope is good at displaying graphics, but looks like handling ASCII strings is really not its thing...

Now that the scope is fixed, I hope GPIB can delete the entire log from the NVRAM, so that I start from a clean sheet of paper, and that if the scope fails again in the future, the new error messages will clearly stand out and not force me to scroll through 4 pages of old errors every time !  |O
Yes, this must be doable, I guess...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:18:31 pm by Vince »

Offline andy2000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2017, 09:12:06 pm »
This should be able to clear the error log via GPIB.  Let me know if it doesn't because I know I have a utility somewhere for this.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2017, 10:28:18 pm »
Thanks !  :-+

Will try it out the minute I receive my GPIB cable from the UK, hopefully this week, only the channel to cross, shouldn't take long ! :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2017, 03:51:48 am »
Just a quick update on GPIB, as I just received my (used/old) cable yesterday, so started to fiddle with things. Didn't go very far because I ran into a couple problems... but still, I got the ball rolling so I will just keep pulling on the string now...

First problem was under MS-DOS. Got it working just fine when I left the computer a few days ago.... but neither of the two Tek S/W (CAl/FAs or err clear) would work : FAS still loads fine and does not complain about a missing scope... at first, but the S/W hangs/freezes, and if you wait long enough, a minute or so, it will become responsive again, only to tell you that "Sorry, can't find any scope connected to the GPIB bus ! ". Oh no....
Then the Err clear S/W, it loads , only to print a couple lines of text just to identify itself, then freezes solid, needs  a hard reboot.
So I ran to the Diag S/W, what do you know, what was working just fine last time... no longer works ! It complains that the IRQ test failed. Tried all the usual stuff, no luck. Only way I found to make the diad S/W happy was to disable IRQ operation altogether !  Still, the Tek S/W would not budge, so the problem must be somewhere else... so I reactivated interrupts so as to get back a normal setup.

So, frustrated I was... but not that much because actually, looking at the help files (stored as plain text, easy to look at...) there are numerous cool Cal routines, but nothing in terms of uploading or backing up the Firmware and/or NVRAM contents, nor write to memory locations, nor clear error codes... so not that useful outside of a pure Cal procedure... which then would required specific gear, also connected to GPIB, which I don't have.

So, that was it for the DOS side of things. Then moved on to Windows 95. Better luck there : GPIB working just fine. I connected all of my GPIB instruments, 4 of them, very diverse : Tek TDS 544A, my old Tek 2232, a weird WaveTek Arb Gen that won't go faster than 1kHz, and a Metrix GX5000 (50MHz Pulse generator). I connected them one by one, then scanned the bus usuing the NI S/W. Worked a treat,  the sofwtare has no problem scannign the bus, takes a split second, and it could find  all the instruments regardless of their address, just fine.  They respond instantly and return an ASCII string to identify themselves... except for the 2232 which is not well mannered and return nothing but a single garbage Character. Maybe it's "normal" (ie Tek didn't give shit back then), or the FW of the scope is corrupted somehow. Might investigate that.... I came across the 2232 FW on some website recently, might have a look at it with an Hew file to see if it contains a different ID string.

Sadly I could not do much more than this, because I don't have the GPIB litterature pertaining to the TDS 544A... so I don't know what command are available etc. 

However the regular user manual for my WaveTek ArbGen DOES include the GPIB details, so I could go a little farther. Not THAT much farther, because I still don't know how to use GPIB at large, but still : NI provide a little "terminal" window where you can type ASCII commands, and it provides a little window to display whatever the instruments returns. All the commands are still very mysterious to me at this point, but the manual sounded simple enough about one of them : "If you type any text inside quotes or double quotes, it will display it on the instruments front panel". So, tried that, and what do you know, it works ! Yeah, I managed to talk to the instrument and got it to obey ! How cool is that.... I like this thing already  !  ;D 

I gather that there is no simple way to write "scripts" : if you want to do more than a couple simple commands in the "terminal" window, then you have no easy and simple way/straightforward way to write more complex and/or longer sequences of commands. Instead, it looks like you have to actually right a full blown/regular program, compile it and run it ! Sounds overkill just to write a few byte a loop for a few iterations to gather some measurements or whatever... was hoping that the NI S/W was there precisely to assist you in setting up test sequences in a more user friendly manner ?! I mean, if all it does is scan the bus to list the devices... then it's not worth the 50MB it weighs ! And that's 50MB on the install disk.... god know how much disk space it actually uses once uncompressed.
The NI software provides.

Anyway, still a bit rough around the edges, but I am well motivated, I will get there...

So the plan now :

- Keep digging about this NI sofwtawere, it must do more than scannign the bus... need to find out what it can be used for exactly. Maybe I can install "LabView" and I can find a "Virtual instrument", already made by some good soul (or provided by Tek or NI back then, who knows) about the 544A, or at least 540 or 520... something to play with...

- Dig further about writing programs : under DOS, they provide a few sample programs for BASIC and (Turbo) C. Basic I don't know, C much better, so will go for C. Under Windows, in the "terminal Window I clicked some button which displayed a sample program, written in C. It gives the basic blocks one needs in every GPIB program: header file/ API to load, setting up the bus/opening the device, how to adress a device, then how to close the device cleanly, and some basic error handling routines. Will look into that. So looks like if one wants to do ANYthing with GPIB... one must first get/install a C compiler !  So I guess I need to find one, that runs under Windows 95 if possible, but not a necessity I guess... I just need a compiler, not a full blown/fancy IDE.

- Searched for a copy of the "Programmer Manual" for the TDS 500 series. Surprisingly they are actually easy to find, quite a few of them for sale on Ebay ! Nice original binder versions, some even come with the original floppy diskette ! "Obviously" most/all are in the US so it ends up quite expensive once you add the cost of shipping to Europe, as per usual. Might still treat my self with one, for X-Mas....   In the meantime, Google found me a PDF version of it ! Downloaded that. nearly 400 pages of GPIB Goodness !  I should be covered ! LOL  Mind you, maybe not all of it pertains to the 544A, because the documents apparently treats a whole slew of scope models !!!  The entire 'A' series/generation of scope ! 400A, 500A, 600A and 700A !  Well I guess 99% of the commands are similar to any scope in the world after all... setting a vertical gain or time base setting has no good reason for being performed differently from one scope to another.... no reason not to make it consistent across all Tek scope old and new. Hell maybe it's somewhat standardized across different grands/makes of scopes ! That would be cool. Maybe there is some norm about this...

- Try to figure out what's wrong under MS-DOS, drives me nuts....
I do have another PC2 controller card ready, if need be... just no a genuine NI one, though. But ought to be a drop in replacement, should be transparent to any software trying to make use of it.  It's just a PC2 controller, S/W doesn't need to know more than this...

BUT... first... before I can do any further experiments, I must fix my cable ! LOL  Grrr.... already broken : when I tried to connect it to the 2232, didn't work because on this scope the GPIB connector is on the side of the cabinet, not at the back, meaning the connector is recessed, not protruding like it normally is. The connector of my cable is a tad too large, end up clashing with the edge of the metal work, can't engage fully.  So, I removed the connector shells, since they are just held by screws. Worked... but then when I put the shells back on, cable started working intermittently ! Opened it right back up... yep, sure enough I goofed it up, looks like I managed to pinch two of the wires while reassembling the two shells.  Will try to fix that, but if I can't (not much play in the wires to work on them...), then I would have to wait for my other cable, brand new this one, to arrive from china. Might take up to 3 weeks normally.

In the meantime I will resume work on fixing my TDS 310. Thing is totally unresponsive to any input from the front panel... even though said front panel seems to be working just fine whatever I probe on it !  Good thing is : now that I have worked on the 544A, this TDS 310 now suddenly looks a whole lot less "impressive" than it used to !  So it's time to work some more on it I think... been 4 years since I bought it !  :palm:

That's all folks !  ;D

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2017, 07:35:58 am »
The 2232 likely pre-dates the SCPI (IEEE 488.2) standard that defines the *idn? command to identify itself. So not poorly behaved, just too old for a particular standard. SCPI was introduced in the late eighties, while GPIB/HPIB was introduced in the late sixties, so there are a large number of instruments with GPIB but without SCPI. You recognize SCPI by its CONF:FOO:BAR? syntax which is mostly generic across instruments of a particular type (e.g. scopes). Older instruments all used different commands that were often closely tied to the front panel layout. You needed to read their (programming) manuals to learn which.

No, the NI software did not ship with any scripting language. They wanted you to buy LabView or LabWindows/CVI (if they existed back then). You could look at EzGpib if it supports ancient Windows versions. It is a Pascal-like scripting language. If you have installed NI-VISA (or even just the older and more cryptic gpib32.dll), you should be able to interface to it from C. Maybe try digging up an old version of MS Visual C?

An alternative scripting language might be Python with PyVISA (requires NI-VISA). Again no idea about support for ancient Windows versions.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf