Author Topic: Tektronix TDS2014 + TDS2MEM = Black Screen?  (Read 2285 times)

Offline baakreTopic starter

Tektronix TDS2014 + TDS2MEM = Black Screen?
« on: January 23, 2018, 01:10:30 am »
Hi,
I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with a Tektronix TDS2MEM expansion module and a TDS2014 oscilloscope. The scope firmware is v4.60. I don't know what firmware revision is on the TDS2MEM module, though it has a build date of 06/10/2004.

Essentially, with the TDS2MEM installed, the scope will not power up. When I press the power button, the backlight of the screen comes on, but otherwise no activity or signs of life on the scope.

If I remove the TDS2MEM module, the oscilloscope appears to work normal. I checked the diagnostic logs on the scope and there were no entries. The coin cell battery on the module measures 3V installed, so that isn't obviously dead.

I've checked for bent or damage connector contacts and haven't been able to identify any. I did verify electrical connectivity on the outside facing row, but doing the same on the inner row will be a challenge without removing the logic board.

Anyone have any suggestions for other things I could try or check before sending the  module back? What is the purpose of the J102 2-pin header on the TDS2MEM module? I notice with a shunt jumper installed, the scope will illuminate the front panel LEDs but otherwise no change in behavior.

Does anyone have  a pinout of the expansion module connector?

Thanks!

Offline baakreTopic starter

Re: Tektronix TDS2014 + TDS2MEM = Black Screen?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 11:30:20 am »
An update: Got it fixed. Turns out, there was a surface mount inductor pack (L901) that, at some point in this scope's history, was knocked off. After replacing this part, the scope powered up and recognized the TDS2MEM just fine.

Offline Andre67

Re: Tektronix TDS2014 + TDS2MEM = Black Screen?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 03:19:04 pm »

I have the same problem. the L901 inductor is gone. does this inductor have any specifications?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf