Author Topic: Tektronix TDS2024 Screen replacement  (Read 2588 times)

Offline RanaynaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Tektronix TDS2024 Screen replacement
« on: June 06, 2018, 07:50:27 pm »
Hi everyone,

I recently got my hands on a Tektronix TDS2024 with a broken screen.
The display looks like it got hit in the upper right corner. That corner is bright orange and about 20% of the screen from the top is black. I have taken the scope and the display unit apart, and the damage is clearly visible on the display glas, so no repair of the display itself is possible I assume.
Otherwise the scope seems to work, at least I get the testsignal on all 4 channels.

The display has the model number KCS057QV1AJ-G39
I do find this via google, but it is quite expensive, more than 100 euro on ebay, and even 80$ with shipping on alibaba.

Is the TDS2024 worth it? Are there any other compatible display replacements?

The following users thanked this post: vmax

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Tektronix TDS2024 Screen replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 02:20:24 am »
Well it's worth only parts value without a display.
Otherwise it's a relatively cheap fix to have a 200 MHz 4ch DSO.
You don't say whether it's a B or C version so we presume it's an A without USB.

I'd spend the $ and fix it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 02:58:52 am »
100 Euro sounds pretty reasonable to me, in good working condition a TDS2024 is worth several times that.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 05:26:25 pm »
Yeah, it's the original one without USB Port. Those revisions did not make it easier to find a possible replacement ;)

I was very surprised when i opened the scope how little is actually in there. All on one single board, virtually no shielding at all, and no fan.
The thing is though, the 100 Euro I quoted seems to be even on the very low end. More reputable sellers (if you can call ebay reputable) start at about 150 Euro...

I'll keep it for now, maybe a deal shows up.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 05:52:13 pm »
The same is true of the TDS300 series, it shares the same chassis as the much more complex TDS400 series so it's mostly a big empty box! The entire thing is a small board up in one of the front corners, the right side behind the control panel is empty all the way from the back of the front panel to the inside of the back panel. They could have put the power supply next to the monitor and made the whole scope about 1/3rd the depth it is.

Offline giosif

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 07:10:59 pm »
Yeah, it's the original one without USB Port. Those revisions did not make it easier to find a possible replacement ;)

I was very surprised when i opened the scope how little is actually in there. All on one single board, virtually no shielding at all, and no fan.
The thing is though, the 100 Euro I quoted seems to be even on the very low end. More reputable sellers (if you can call ebay reputable) start at about 150 Euro...

I'll keep it for now, maybe a deal shows up.

I have a dead TDS2012B whose screen I think is in good order.
Would need to check if it matches the model number you mention.
Stay tuned.

Offline giosif

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 07:41:14 pm »
Sorry, took longer than anticipated to get to this!

So, the PN of the screen in my 2012B is KCG057QV1DF-G00-74-24-7.
You may want to look it up and check if it is compatible with your model.
Also, I got this scope already dead (the main board is 100% cactus) so, while the screen looks intact and the backlight comes on, when powered on, I cannot guarantee it is 100% working.
Please let me know if this is of interest (via PM).

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 12:46:00 pm »
I was not able to find datasheets for both displays, yours seems to be even more elusive than mine  :D

But I have checked the scope service manuals for both the B and non B versions.
The displays do not have the same Tek part number (not unexpected) but both manuals contain a nice pin table for display troubleshooting. Both are the same in regards to pin assignments, voltages and frequencies. How likely is it that Tek changed the data protocol? The display section in the theory of operation chapter is the same.

The location of the cables are different though when looking at the diagrams, but hopefully it would not be impossible to fit the other display. I will check this evening, and then come back to you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf