Author Topic: Thin permanent double-sided tape / contact tape or thermal glue  (Read 2354 times)

Offline DC1MCTopic starter

• Super Contributor
 Hello everybody, so I have an instrument (DATRON 1071) that has the front panel fascia as a stripe of some plastic material that was glued on a metal plate via some double sided very thin contact tape from Scotch/3M with a width of ca 85mm.
How can anyone get hold of such a tape or of this special glue used to glue displays to the phone/tablet frame that can be applied hot and then when at room temperature it stays sticky and doesn't fully solidify.

Any advice where to find such an adhesive unicorn will be appreciated as my fleabay-fu just gave me either some strong but thick tape used for auto styling and indoor carpeting or some very weak Sellotape for doing picture albums.
The original tape was composed of a very thin transparent film with ferociously glue on both sides, the part facing the metal plate hold a bit more but the part facing the plastic fascia got dry after 30 years and peeled off completely.

Many thanks for your help,
 DC1MC

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Thin permanent double-sided tape / contact tape or thermal glue
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 02:40:59 am »
you may find this : Pritt Double Stick Adhesive Tape Roller, Permanent, 8.4mm x 8.5m (442212) on amazon or a distributor near you ???  i dont recall the thickness, but its very thin to hold facias etc ...

We use 3m products at my job,  thinner than pritt, double sided,  i'll try to get you an part number   we use it to stick an touchscreen overlay on top of lcd screens we use

We have one too dual sided who is conductive ...  i'll try to get you an part number  too

The following users thanked this post: DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 05:22:41 am »
Thanks a lot @coromonadalix, the inept chat bot from 3M suggested something called 927, I've looked on it and 25mm wide things are expensive, but 85mm are INSANELY EXPENSIVE  :scared:, on fleabay a roll  is over 1000USD !!! The parameters are exactly what I need though  |O.

I hope I find somewhere a 0.5m x 85mm without selling my kidneys, or else I have to use some 2x glue, Stabilit Express, anything that dries peels of from the ABS fascia, happend with the original tape as well, but after 32 years ;).

Thanks and waiting for news,
 DC1MC

Offline Lorenzo_1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 06:34:19 am »
You might want to check out 3M 300LSE tape that is sold in pre-cut packs for repairing iPhones and iPods among other things.  It's very thin and seems to go pretty cheaply on eBay depending on whether you need a small roll. Perhaps several shorter strips will suffice. I've used it multiple times and it's plenty sticky.

Offline switch998

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 07:14:24 am »
If the faceplate is polycarbonate then 300LSE might not be the best choice, we used to use 468MP at work in similar applications (bonding polycarbonate overlays to metal housings) and it worked well. 468MP and 300LSE are very popular products for this purpose, so they both are widely available and affordable.

You can actually order most 3M adhesives from Amazon directly, and if you order a weird size roll it will probably be marked down. I usually stock up on the thermally conductive adhesives when they get marked down to 70% off... I just add them to my cart and watch the price, Amazon discounts 5% per day on overstocked SKUs.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:22:37 am by switch998 »

Offline reboots

• Regular Contributor
    • http://reboots.g-cipher.net
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 04:27:26 pm »
If the faceplate is polycarbonate then 300LSE might not be the best choice, we used to use 468MP at work in similar applications (bonding polycarbonate overlays to metal housings) and it worked well. 468MP and 300LSE are very popular products for this purpose, so they both are widely available and affordable.

A small clarification: 300LSE is an adhesive, available on various 3M tapes. 468MP is a tape, which uses 3M 200MP adhesive.

This PDF has more information on 3M's adhesive and tape families, and their suggested applications. 200MP is indeed better suited to high surface energy substrates such as polycarbonate.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/204624O/3m-laminating-adhesives-guide-for-graphic-attachment.pdf

The following users thanked this post: DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 06:37:22 pm »

A small clarification: 300LSE is an adhesive, available on various 3M tapes. 468MP is a tape, which uses 3M 200MP adhesive.

This PDF has more information on 3M's adhesive and tape families, and their suggested applications. 200MP is indeed better suited to high surface energy substrates such as polycarbonate.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/204624O/3m-laminating-adhesives-guide-for-graphic-attachment.pdf

I'm seeing different models of 468MP tape and foils, is this dual sided, can I put together the fascia and the front pannel ?

Many thanks,
 DC1MC

Offline reboots

• Regular Contributor
    • http://reboots.g-cipher.net
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 07:30:29 pm »
I'm seeing different models of 468MP tape and foils, is this dual sided, can I put together the fascia and the front pannel ?

468MP seems to be an adhesive transfer tape: just a layer of adhesive on a removable backing without any "tape" substrate. I haven't used it myself, so I would recommend buying a sample to test.

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 11:51:43 am »
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 07:14:29 pm by DC1MC »

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 11:00:38 pm »
i think it should do the job ...