Author Topic: Thurlby PL320QMT Later type power supply – Adjustment after repair?  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Chris56000Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi

The following relates to the "Phase 2" Thurlby PL320QMT Three Channel PSU in use as standard on all our work benches at my employer's!

My unit had developed a fault where the middle (is that the "Slave" section?) 30V 2A section bogged out at 130mA and point–blank refused to supply anything above that, and the setup adjustment was useless!

I decided to investigate (grumpy manager on holiday this week!!!!), but nothing obviously amiss came to light, so decided to replace the LM324 (IC7, current control/sense amp), the 4052 analogue switch that selects between the current sense o/p and the front panel current limit control, the electrolytics and Q6 (BC559C) – this restored the full rated 2.2A output, but I can't get the adjustment of VR7, the one to set the PSU for 10mA output with the current front panel control set for 10mA – the pot VR7 doesn't do anything!

Can anyone suggest what I might have done wrong? My employer only had BC557Bs in stock for Q6 – is it important to use the correct BC559C here?

Also, has anyone got the circuit diagram for the 5V 4A board in these? I used the 49 page manual from K04BB and the 5V 4A bit appears to be missing!

Chris Williams

PS!

Nearly all of these units have a Driver board with a W02 bridge rectifier and two 2A pico–fuses in lieu of the four separate 1N4002 diodes given on all the diagrams in the manual – I've not found a revised page detailing this design change – has anyone got info from TTi on it for completeness?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 03:10:50 am by Chris56000 »
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: Thurlby PL320QMT Later type power supply – Adjustment after repair?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 10:35:17 am »
Can anyone suggest what I might have done wrong?
Not repairing it completely?  :palm: Often more than one component fails in anything that is power related.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 12:45:39 pm »
Hi!

I replaced IC7 (LM324), IC3 (4052B), the TIP120 on the driver PCB, tested all the 1R0 small current–sharing 2N3055 emitter–resistors which were all perfect, all four of the 2N3055 pass transistors which also tested all perfect, checked the current–sense resistor R51 on the control PCB, and the two short wire loops provided by TTi to derive a 4–terminal connection to same, and the presets on the control PCB themselves – I doubt I would have missed anything obviously amiss from that lot, there was no sign whatsoever of overheating anywhere, and the PSU now gives 2.2A out at up to max voltage – it's just that I can't set the initial 10mA current point by VR7 as detailed in the manual – turning VR7 from one end to the other gives no current whatsoever – I WAS able to carry out this adjustment with whatever faulty component(s) were causing the 130mA hard current–limit fault!

Chris Williams
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 08:47:10 pm by Chris56000 »
It's an enigma that's what it is!! This thing's not fixed because it doesn't want to be fixed!!

Offline Kevin.D

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 09:55:06 pm »
Not sure which pcb version you are referring to by 'Phase 2' ?, but the full service manual
for the pl series covers pcb issue 2 to 4 is available somewhere in a thread on eevblog and
also elsewhere online .

In regards your other questions :-
Q6 is not critical it's only job is to pull  'ilimit'  high to indicate CC limiting is active.

Regarding the 5V/4A module, The manual states it is very similar to the 5V/7A module , the
schematic of that is included in the service manual mentioned above.

Vr7 is not used for what you think it is .
VR7 is used to trim the current sense resistor (r51) so that the internal meter reading is
accurate when compared to an external ammeter reading .

VR8 is used to trim real CC value (output enabled) to match preset Value (output disabled) this is best set at 10mA.

Vr4 sets absolute maximum current limit.

Extract from PL service manual :-
Current calibration
Set output switch to OFF
Set the current limit control for a reading of 10mA
Set output switch to ON ON and short the output terminals
Adjust VR8 for a reading of 10mA
Remove the short and connect an ammeter between the output terminals.
Set current limit to approximately:
900mA - PL310
1800mA - PL320
2700mA - PL330
3600mA - PL154
and adjust VR7 so that the internal and external ammeters read the same.

Regards

The following users thanked this post: Chris56000, DC73

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 06:59:04 pm »
Hi!

Thanks for your assistance – I've just remembered I was trying to set it up with VR7 instead of VR8!

I'll have another go at it next time my grumpy manager's out of the way!

Chris Williams

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf