Author Topic: Transformer Question  (Read 801 times)

Offline law_freakTopic starter

• Contributor
Transformer Question
« on: December 24, 2017, 08:29:58 pm »
I'm working on a radio from a 1956 Oldsmobile. This question relates to the power supply.

Why are the primary and secondary of the power transformer not isolated? Why is 12VDC applied to both the center tap of primary and the center tap of the secondary?

I understand how a vibrator power supply works, but would have figured that only the primary winding would have 12VDC applied to its center tap.

Schematic attached. The unlabeled line from the connector is 12VDC from the battery.

Radio model #983334 by Delco

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Transformer Question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 08:42:42 pm »
Both sides of the transformer share a common ground reference. It is common in motor vehicle applications to reference everything to the vehicle chassis, which is presumably what is happening here.

Note that it is not possible to apply 12 V DC to a single terminal like the center tap of a transformer. All voltages are potential differences, and therefore to assign a potential difference of 12 V DC you must specify the two points in the circuit between which this potential difference exists.

The following users thanked this post: law_freak

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 08:45:42 pm »
Why are the primary and secondary of the power transformer not isolated? Why is 12VDC applied to both the center tap of primary and the center tap of the secondary?
You could just as well have grounded the secondary center tap but my guess would be that it might have something to do with common mode noise on the +12V.

The following users thanked this post: tpowell1830, law_freak

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 08:46:54 pm »
It's to get an extra 12V on the secondary side. The 280V is referenced to +12V so a bit less output voltage (268V) needed from the vibrator/transformer.

The following users thanked this post: law_freak

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf