Author Topic: UEI 393 broken jacks  (Read 2802 times)

Offline AKADriverTopic starter

UEI 393 broken jacks
« on: November 07, 2015, 02:45:48 am »
I bought a used UEI 393 multimeter on eBay for the grand sum of US$26.95! It was so cheap, as it turned out, because the common and V/R/C/temp jacks were broken on the inside!

I've managed to solder across the breaks but I'm not confident that the repair will last for the long haul with probes being plugged and unplugged, stressing the joints. I'd like to replace the jacks themselves... but I'm hitting a wall. Can't find them on Digikey. Are these a proprietary part to "Finest" (which seems to be the supplier to UEI and Klein and others)?

I sent a shot in the dark request to UEI to see if they'd offer parts, they obviously don't want you repairing things yourself though.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: UEI 393 broken jacks
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 04:38:49 am »
Let's see a picture of your fix.  Two clear focused pictures of each side of the pcb will help.

Offline AKADriverTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 03:48:03 pm »
I don't have a good macro camera, so if I can borrow ratdude747's picture:

The leads cracked at the red lines. The V/Ohm/Hz connector was easy to repair because it was already soldered there, and broken above the surface. The Com connector was broken inside and if I'm honest, looks a mess because the plastic started to melt. It's that one I'm more worried about.

I can't find any part numbers on the plastic.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 07:48:45 pm »
5ky, a member here, bought some meters for his $50 shootout.  One of them was the Klein MM2000 which is a rebranded Fine Instruments.  He later shipped them to joeqsmith, another member here, for destructive testing.

The MM2000 input jacks look identical to the UEI 393.  Send joeqsmith a PM and ask him if he can desolder the COM input jack and mail it to you?  He is just going to toss/recycle them afterwards.  Maybe he can send you the other jacks as well for backup?

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 03:29:33 am »
PM sent.   

There were not a lot of good parts left on this meter.     I removed the rotary switch, back light and the four connectors.  If you like I could also send the case.  It is damaged but the mechanics for the rotary switch are still fine.   The rubber cover is fine.       

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 04:34:39 am »
Did the parts I send you fit your meter?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf