Author Topic: URGENT! My Fluke 187 multimeter stopped reading voltages (ac and dc)  (Read 21840 times)

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: URGENT! My Fluke 187 multimeter stopped reading voltages (ac and dc)
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2017, 04:56:37 pm »
Will call to the service tomorrow and see if there is some kind of warranty.
Read the terms and conditions of Flukes "lifetime" warranty in the 187 manual or online.  If they determine you abused it due to high voltage, they will not give you free service/replacement.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2017, 05:04:49 pm »
You may need to test more than one range with more than one test voltage or maybe you have.   0,0000 may be the lowest range. 

Offline The GuyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 08:02:35 pm »
You may need to test more than one range with more than one test voltage or maybe you have.   0,0000 may be the lowest range.

Yup, i tried all different ranges. Will test with different voltages also.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2017, 08:12:47 pm »
If it behaved the same for all the ranges, I doubt that's going to be it then.  Not that it would have helped you. 

The following users thanked this post: The Guy

Offline BMack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2017, 08:41:03 pm »
FYI, this is why you ALWAYS need a backup meter. Admittedly, my 8 backup Flukes are overkill but you should at least have one, preferably one at work or in your car.

BTW, that crackling in amps is often just a dirty pot(s).   

The following users thanked this post: tooki, The Guy

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2017, 10:34:57 pm »
When you get a working meter, measure the input impedance of the 187 when it is set to DCV and turned on.  It should be around 11M ohm. See attached picture.

The following users thanked this post: The Guy

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2017, 10:38:49 pm »
The sometimes free with coupon Harbor Freight meter only measures up to 2M ohm so it would be useless in the above test.  In addition, it wouldn't help measure a MOV either as a MOV could measure 4M ohm and be bad, but the Harbor Freight meter only goes to 2M ohm.

The following users thanked this post: gnavigator1007, The Guy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2017, 07:37:56 pm »
When you get a working meter, measure the input impedance of the 187 when it is set to DCV and turned on.  It should be around 11M ohm. See attached picture.

okey dokey, bought a cheapo meter and measured all i knew how to measure.

The input impedance reads "open"

the metal film and carbon comp resistors read OK, that black 1ohm resistor also reads ok... I mean, all those resistors have their values within spec.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 07:50:03 pm by The Guy »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2017, 07:47:01 pm »
5- This is the only meter I have but tomorrow I might borrow one from a friend.
Here is where having another meter, even a free Harbor Freight one, helps.  The HF should be able to measure if the fusible resistor is open or not or close to 1k ohm. I wouldn't use the HF on the 450V amp as it might fail in more unpredictable ways, but for unpowered resistance measurements, it works fine.

BTW, you should also check the blue MOVs which should measure 0L (infinite) resistance.  The black PTC, just above the fusible resistor, should measure around 1.1k ohm. All measurements can be done in-circuit.  If the MOVs or PTC don't measure as expected, then remove them and verify out of circuit.

edit: The 187 is one of my favourite meters.

Blue MOVs read open. The black PTC reads 1.14k ohm

What's that red thingy at the side of the PTC? ...because it reads 100Kohm more or less.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:48:46 pm by The Guy »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2017, 08:32:33 pm »
Please feel free to chime in guys... read my last two post and let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2017, 09:21:09 pm »
I'll be damned.... I seem to have found the problem! I did just read this thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-18718987-iv-help-needed/

...and my fluke has the very same failure. Resistance is open between those same two pins in the voltage divider resistor network.

Dang, that's a whole lotta money to fix because it requires re-calibration it seems...

Any ideas? can I repair it myself? ...i'm not sure how to desolder that resistor network...

Why Fluke? Why?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 09:39:28 pm by The Guy »

Online The Soulman

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2017, 10:09:20 pm »
You sure that is open and not aprox. 10Meg.?
Sure your meter can read that high? (most cheapies don't)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2017, 10:20:55 pm »
You sure that is open and not aprox. 10Meg.?
Sure your meter can read that high? (most cheapies don't)

Yep, i'm sure, this cheapie (us$40) can read up to 200M ohm :o
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:37:41 pm by The Guy »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2017, 10:37:05 pm »
Resistance is open between those same two pins in the voltage divider resistor network.
Do you have a 10M ohm resistor that you can solder like in the other thread to see if the meter works?

If not 10M, try a 1M ohm.  The values will be off, but we are just testing it to see if there is any other damage.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2017, 10:39:45 pm »
Yep, sure, this cheapie (us$40) can read up to 200M ohm :o
What did you buy for $40? Make and model please.

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2017, 10:44:37 pm »
   my fluke has the very same failure. Resistance is open between those same two pins in the voltage divider resistor network 
You can check by measuring between each leg of the divider network. If it really broken, there will be an open circuit between a pair of legs.

I am affraid there is no cheap fix.

You can either sell the meter off for parts or look for one being sold for parts.

You can download the service manual which tells you how to calibrate the meter but you will need some special equipment or some way to generate the voltages AC and DC, resistances and currents.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2017, 12:03:59 am »
Resistance is open between those same two pins in the voltage divider resistor network.
Do you have a 10M ohm resistor that you can solder like in the other thread to see if the meter works?

If not 10M, try a 1M ohm.  The values will be off, but we are just testing it to see if there is any other damage.

I have a 1M resistor but it's a very fine resistor for hifi audio... I don't want to waste it. Will need to buy some for this test.

The $40 dollar multimeter is a mexican distributed made in china unit, it's a Truper model MUT-39. Not accurate at all... like 1% of error in voltage readings. But hey, it does the work, and I just finished measuring the amp that killed my beloved Fluke. This cheapo did it like nothing, felt like measuring potatos... Lol.

After this experience no more flukes for me I guess... way too expensive for this kind of failure. My next multimeter it's gonna be a Hioki  :-+ ...or maybe you guys can suggest me some good ones?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:22:52 am by The Guy »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2017, 07:27:06 am »
Did Fluke decline to service it under warranty? Or are you just assuming it, even though there's no reason to assume they'll decline it?

Offline Armadillo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2017, 08:18:15 am »

The $40 dollar multimeter is a mexican distributed made in china unit, it's a Truper model MUT-39. Not accurate at all... like 1% of error in voltage readings. But hey, it does the work, and I just finished measuring the amp that killed my beloved Fluke. This cheapo did it like nothing, felt like measuring potatos... Lol.

Speed of Measurement/ADC.
How is the speed for Truper? I think the unit is in Number of measurement per second.
You know, in repair, can't weight for the display to take its time to answer.
I think is a fluke accident for this FLUKE, would you say?.

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2017, 08:59:09 am »
I do not understand how the resistor divider network got damaged without the other input protection components being taken out first.  :-\

The OP has not given the history of the meter, so we do not know if the meter was miss-treated before he got it.

Did Fluke decline to service it under warranty?
This assumes the OP bought the meter and is still the 1st registered owner.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2017, 02:30:06 pm »
In theory. But there are countless reports of Fluke repairing/replacing meters under warranty with no proof of purchase whatsoever, e.g. with ones found in dumpsters. That alone makes it worth looking into even if you technically aren't eligible. I'm just astonished that the OP doesn't appear to have even attempted that route and has instead written off Fluke altogether. (See their other thread where they're looking for a new meter and have sworn off Fluke forever. In it, they also indicate that they were the original purchaser.)

Their reluctance to attempt warranty service, and the fact that the supposed circumstances of the damage are well within the operating specs (never mind overload specs) of the meter make me skeptical of the actual cause of damage; what really happened, OP?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 02:33:07 pm by tooki »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2017, 02:37:27 pm »
   my fluke has the very same failure. Resistance is open between those same two pins in the voltage divider resistor network 
You can check by measuring between each leg of the divider network. If it really broken, there will be an open circuit between a pair of legs.

You can either sell the meter off for parts or look for one being sold for parts.

You can download the service manual which tells you how to calibrate the meter but you will need some special equipment or some way to generate the voltages AC and DC, resistances and currents.
In the other thread about a broken divider network, someone said it cost around $30 for the part from Fluke. How is that beyond economical repair???

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2017, 02:51:08 pm »
In theory. But there are countless reports of Fluke repairing/replacing meters under warranty with no proof of purchase whatsoever, e.g. with ones found in dumpsters. That alone makes it worth looking into even if you technically aren't eligible. I'm just astonished that the OP doesn't appear to have even attempted that route and has instead written off Fluke altogether. (See their other thread where they're looking for a new meter and have sworn off Fluke forever. In it, they also indicate that they were the original purchaser.)

Their reluctance to attempt warranty service, and the fact that the supposed circumstances of the damage are well within the operating specs (never mind overload specs) of the meter make me skeptical of the actual cause of damage; what really happened, OP?

...i did ask for a rapair under warranty at the fluke representatives in my country and since I didn't  bought the multimeter in their store they basically told me to F. Off. Their customer support is poop.

What really happened? I already explained what really happened.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 02:56:35 pm by The Guy »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2017, 03:08:59 pm »

In the other thread about a broken divider network, someone said it cost around $30 for the part from Fluke. How is that beyond economical repair???

Because the repair require recalibration and here they would charge me like 400usd for the whole package and I'm not going to dump 400bucks in this dmm if it is going to suck like this again at some point. 

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2017, 03:14:18 pm »

Speed of Measurement/ADC.
How is the speed for Truper? I think the unit is in Number of measurement per second.
You know, in repair, can't weight for the display to take its time to answer.
I think is a fluke accident for this FLUKE, would you say?.

It's very fast, but not precise and it will jump around. For example when measuring 340vdc it will show the value like in 3sec but then will jump from say 338vdc to 445 back and froth like forever, so you need to calculate the average value yourself.

EDIT: Sorry it's not 445, it's 345, it would jump from 338 to 345.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 04:33:04 pm by The Guy »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf