Author Topic: used surge protectors  (Read 1526 times)

Offline VgkidTopic starter

• Super Contributor
used surge protectors
« on: February 07, 2016, 03:37:49 am »
I have a option of getting a used isobar either for free or cheaply. Since it is used in working condition( but unknown amount of hours are on it). What would need to be replaced, or should I use it directly. Might be an isobar ultra 12.
Or should i just skip the idea, my current set of phillips are to finicky with the safety shutters.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline sarepairman2

• Frequent Contributor
Re: used surge protectors
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 04:18:32 am »
I think the MOV bank is the thing most likely to get worn down.

Offline VgkidTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 05:49:05 pm »
Thanks, thats what i figured.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline Kbeistline

• Projects by Fanatics, for fanatics
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 01:15:39 am »
As I understand the theory of Metal Oxide Varistor's (aka. fused resistor). As a circuit is powered the initial voltage spike causes the crystalline structure to heat up and increase resistance thus reducing the current delivered to a load. As the voltage level equalizes the crystalline structure cools and recombines thus reducing its resistance and allows more current to flow. If the initial voltage spike is greater than the MOV's max rating it will fail. Depending on how massive the spike is, it can fail rather spectacularly! I have not read any specifics on their meantime to failure, but can attest to the weakening of the crystalline structure causing them to fuse open. Over time, repeated normal spikes will weaken the crystalline structure causing it to merely open circuit, thus providing a valuable load protection. In the case of a nearby lightening strike, even a brand new MOV will 'pop' and may or may not provide enough protection for a given load.
*SAFETY-1st* Make sure you completely understand how lethal repairing mains powered equipment is before attempting any repairs.
 Just checked Mouser.com, lists MOV's priced between 50ยข - $5 USD.
Perception is in the eye of the beholder, but only as perceived through other eyes.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf