Author Topic: Very dusty computer SMPS powersupply repair  (Read 2179 times)

Offline OldSchoolTechCornerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Very dusty computer SMPS powersupply repair
« on: November 02, 2015, 06:10:43 am »
I normally don't repair these for people as not cost effective and have other projects I have to finish, but a friend took it to major electronic store to get a quote on repairing it and told me they were going to charge him around $500 bucks to repair it. So I decide to look at it rather then let him get ripped off. Only cost around $3 bucks in parts and about 1 hour of time, so not sure where they came up with the $500 dollar quote? 

Reason it more likely failed in the first place, as was just flashing yellow front panel LED's. This is why you also have to clean the inside, not just the outside. As barely no airflow and more likely what caused the capacitors to fail.

Jump power supply on out of machine and notice rails were low and a lot of ripple, took apart and notice the bulging capacitors.

Check with ESR meter and definitely they failed.

I only replaced the defective capacitors for now as wanted to make sure no other bad components and make sure rest of computer was fine first, will replace them all later.

Put back together as tested and no more excessive ripple and rails back to normal 

Give the machine a good cleaning

Works great, no more flashing lights

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 06:13:02 am by OldSchoolTechCorner »

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
Re: Very dusty computer SMPS powersupply repair
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 06:50:01 am »
What brand are those capacitors?
The PSU looks fairly old, even though it is a somewhat recent unit.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 07:03:19 am »
Looking at the pictures, at least it seems like Dell isn't using those horrible proprietary 24pin ATX connectors in this PC...  |O
I'm pretty sure Flextronics is a reputable PSU manufacturer, they make the Corsair AX and AXi range  :-+

Offline OldSchoolTechCornerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 07:27:02 am »
What brand are those capacitors?
The PSU looks fairly old, even though it is a somewhat recent unit.

PSU is made by Flextronics and capacitors by Samxon. I don't blame the PSU, I blame the user for not cleaning the machine, pilot error on this one. The fan was completely clog up, so no airflow. I am shock it lasted as long as it did. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 07:31:19 am by OldSchoolTechCorner »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf