Author Topic: Agilent 16902B Video and LCD issues  (Read 2241 times)

Offline dfnr2Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Agilent 16902B Video and LCD issues
« on: November 19, 2016, 10:49:16 pm »
Hi all,

I picked up a 16902B mainframe cheaply as "for parts or repair."  The seller could not get the LCD screen to work, but they claimed they were able to use an external monitor.  I am able to get a display on bootup, and when I use the boot options to select "Boot in VGA mode."  However, if I don't boot in VGA mode, or if I try to change the settings to 1024x768, or anything else, my external monitor goes blank, and indicates failure to sync.  I've tried with two monitors.  Any suggestions?  The system otherwise appears to boot a working copy of XP and boots the analyzer software, which shows no licenses and no installed modules.

I could just set it up in VGA mode, then use it via Remote Desktop, which was actually my original thought.  However, I would really like to get this working properly if possible.  Any suggestions?  The BIOS has a setting to reset to defaults for the 15" LCD, which I tried.  I also tried setting the BIOS for onboard video instead of PCI (presumably selecting external monitor over the LCD.)

I am also wondering if whatever is causing this issue could also be why the LCD isn't working.

The Windows installation seems intact.  Would there be any benefit to trying to restore it to original?  I don't have a restore CD.

By the way, the license key on the back of the mainframe seems to actually be a Windows Vista key.  What does that mean?

Currently I'm running a 16900A turned around with the back toward my bench.  I picked this up because I thought the faster processor would be a bit snappier than the old PIII in the 'A.  Once I have this set up and the software updated, I'll transfer the modules over.

I actually tried to post on the Keysight forums, where I have an account, but could not convince that godawful custom forum app to let me post.

Thanks,

Dave
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 11:09:09 pm by dfnr2 »

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
Re: Agilent 16902B Video and LCD issues
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 04:05:10 am »
I know this is a really dead topic but I just ran into the same issue so I thought I'd put the solution here.

According to the Keysight manual you can hold the "Touch Off" button until it flashes red and this wills witch monitors.

Well it sort of does that, what it really did on my 16902B is bring up the Intel Graphics Media applet and that would let me change it. Fortunately my device seems to have a broken CCFL as I could shine a light into the LCD to barely see the screen and use the mouse to select "Twin Display".

Once I did that I could use the external monitor and the applet it brought up - Looking at the hotkey list it is CTRL+ALT+F1 for the external monitor and CTRL+ALT+F3 to use the internal one.

Hopefully this helps other people as this thread was one of the top 3-4 that came back when querying on 16902B External Monitor.

TonyG

Offline ZomBiE80

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 11:07:04 am »
And i also ran onto this topic as just for fun i tried to fix A 16902B. My issue was after hundreds of troubleshooting steps: Flux the damn CPU board and reflow.

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 04:39:29 pm »
Here is the first look video I did on it - Next step to open it up and investigate whether it is the CCFL or the Inverter that is dead (or even maybe just the cable that fell off):

https://youtu.be/yNmJzclsGV8

TonyG

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 04:01:30 pm »
Just repaired the 16902B - It turns out that the inductor on the inverter board had gone open circuit - Not sure why this happened but it was common failure on all 3 of the inverter boards I had.

My current theory is that the original CCFL Bulbs caused the device to draw too much current on the 12V regulated line and that eventually blew out the inductor. I replaced the inductor and bulbs in this video:

TonyG

Offline charlyd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 06:41:41 pm »
hi tony  thumbs up good job..!

The following users thanked this post: Tony_G

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf