Author Topic: Weller 1002 solder iron replacement needed  (Read 2212 times)

Offline Sparky_FreakTopic starter

• Contributor
Weller 1002 solder iron replacement needed
« on: May 29, 2016, 08:43:36 am »
i bought a Weller 1002 station but i don t have the iron i was wondering if anyone knew where to get a replacement iron or a substitute one any help is appericated :-//

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Weller 1002 solder iron replacement needed
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 11:38:11 am »
Is that the magnastat style iron?

If so I'd also like to know, there don't seem to be any on eBay. I would have thought with the number of old Weller irons out there that someone would be making knock-offs.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 04:40:11 pm »
i bought a Weller 1002 station but i don t have the iron i was wondering if anyone knew where to get a replacement iron or a substitute one any help is appericated :-//
The EC1201A (40W) is the iron that usually came with it, although they offered both the EC1302 (20W) & EC1503 (40W) irons as well (both of these are more of a pencil shape). Unfortunately, these stations are EOL, so parts are getting hard to find (used or NOS on eBay). Tips are still available as they're used in other irons (ET series for the EC1202 iron; not sure on the others, so that will take some research).

As per modifying the base unit to use another iron, that should be possible. You just need to know what the resistance of the heating element and temp sensor for both the existing unit (from a good iron), as well as the intended iron in order to find a viable match. Unfortunately, I don't know the acceptable values, but they can be found or calculated (i.e. manual/tech sheet for the EC1202 or EC1503), or even contacting Weller to request it.

Fortunately, I found the EC1302B Tech Sheet, which contains the resistance values for both the heating element and sensor. The heating element data won't be the same (half the power consumption, so applying Ohm's Law should get you the range for the EC1202A iron). I'd expect the temperature sensor values to be consistent across all the irons that work with that base unit, and pin-outs will be the same as well.

Hope this helps, and good luck.  :)

The EC1002 is a temperature controlled station.

Offline Sparky_FreakTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 12:52:48 am »
The EC1201A (40W) is the iron that usually came with it, although they offered both the EC1302 (20W) & EC1503 (40W) irons as well (both of these are more of a pencil shape). Unfortunately, these stations are EOL, so parts are getting hard to find (used or NOS on eBay). Tips are still available as they're used in other irons (ET series for the EC1202 iron; not sure on the others, so that will take some research).

As per modifying the base unit to use another iron, that should be possible. You just need to know what the resistance of the heating element and temp sensor for both the existing unit (from a good iron), as well as the intended iron in order to find a viable match. Unfortunately, I don't know the acceptable values, but they can be found or calculated (i.e. manual/tech sheet for the EC1202 or EC1503), or even contacting Weller to request it.

Fortunately, I found the EC1302B Tech Sheet, which contains the resistance values for both the heating element and sensor. The heating element data won't be the same (half the power consumption, so applying Ohm's Law should get you the range for the EC1202A iron). I'd expect the temperature sensor values to be consistent across all the irons that work with that base unit, and pin-outs will be the same as well.

Hope this helps, and good luck.  :)

The EC1002 is a temperature controlled station.

thank u so much will try to modify  the unit ill post more info as i attempt it

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf