Author Topic: $15 Ebay EPROM Eraser Teardown  (Read 16795 times)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Re: $15 Ebay EPROM Eraser Teardown
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2016, 03:35:11 pm »
I saw these in Masters https://www.masters.com.au/product/900040966/philips-15w-actinic-uv-insect-tube-light for only $2
Does anyone know if they would work for UV erasing EPROMS? They have little 8W ones too.

I've successfully made EPROM erasers using actinic UV tubes a couple of times, the actinic tubes emit the short wavelength light needed to erase EPROM cells as well as having the handy side effect of killing bacteria so your chips will be safe to lick.

Did you use the ones like in this link? Those from Masters don't look right - I always thought the 253.7nm ones must be transparent

The ones I used were intended for fish pond water sterilisers and they were clear, short wavelength ones, from a quick google I think the Philips ones you link probably wouldn't work too well, if at all.

Offline Melt-O-Tronic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Brilliant with a slaughtering iron in my hand!
Re: $15 Ebay EPROM Eraser Teardown
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2016, 10:11:34 pm »
They definitely look & feel like junk, but mine works great too.

Tangent:  You see in the datasheets sometimes the erasure time for different types of exposure and I remember fluorescent light being one (I don't recall the time/dose).  So a couple months ago, I put a 35 year old 2716 in direct contact with a 15W desk lamp tube for 3 days . . . it cleared 1 bit.   ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf