Author Topic: (cheap chinese) plastic that feels like silk?  (Read 3330 times)

Offline TriodeTigerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
(cheap chinese) plastic that feels like silk?
« on: September 18, 2014, 06:52:05 am »
Call me weird  :palm:

I splurged on a handheld IR thermometer the one in my DMM was bulky, so I bought this:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Non-Contact-IR-Infrared-Digital-Temperature-Gun-Thermometer-Laser-Point-DT8380-/191029408491?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2c7a3d72eb

I'm sure this one in particular a lot of people have on hand so maybe you know what I mean, and it's just as accurate as my DMM one - including some very positive features (turning the laser off if desired!)

One thing I noticed: It feels like silk or satin, there is far less friction than the plastic label or glass, other plastics or steel. It feels very dense and light - could it be ceramic? Just a very hard plastic? It feels almost like it is covered in talc - I wish my mouse were made of this!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 07:07:58 am by TriodeTiger »
"Yes, I have deliberately traded off robustness for the sake of having knobs." - Dave Jones.

Offline hlokk

• Contributor
Re: (cheap chinese) plastic that feels like silk?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 07:16:01 am »
Pretty sure it'll be that "soft touch" coating that some manufacturers have been using lately. Feels a bit like a smooth rubber but if you try to dig your fingernail in it feels pretty much as hard as plastic. My Logitech MX5500 combo has it on the palmrest and non-thumb side of the mouse. It can wear off though, and my home keyboard palm rest has gone all tacky :(

I'm not sure of the technical name for it or what it is made from, but I'm going to guess some sort of polyurethane? I originally thought it was a surface treatment (i.e. modified the surface, not adding to it) but after a few years it seems quite clear its an additional layer of a different type of material.

Could be different though as the ones I have with the coating are grippier not slipperier? (although newness can affect it). Theres probably different tackiness formulations of it though. (Some phones also have it as the backing, I think the Motorola V3G (the fatter 3G one whatever it was called) had it).

Edit: This kinda stuff maybe? http://www.bayercoatings.de/BMS/DB-RSC/BMS_RSC_CAS.nsf/id/COEN_1A5Softfeel
(Although, I double a Chinese IR device uses genuine Bayer chemicals   :o)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:06:40 am by hlokk »

Online mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 01:34:51 pm »
I hate it because more often than not it will turn to sticky goo atfer some time and exposure to variety of chemicals and oils :grr

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 01:53:19 pm »
I hate it because more often than not it will turn to sticky goo atfer some time and exposure to variety of chemicals and oils :grr
That stuff usually looks and feels a lot less nice after just a few weeks, long before it goes gooey.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf