Author Topic: (Fake?) FX-888 vs. Real FX-888D  (Read 3953 times)

Offline twjdeboerTopic starter

• Contributor
(Fake?) FX-888 vs. Real FX-888D
« on: October 23, 2013, 08:07:39 am »
Hi guys,

like so many of you I got into the Hakko FX-888 soldering station. After some searching I found one on my local Craigslist/eBay. I decided to order it, as it was 'only' 100 euros. While is was in transit (it currently still is) I found out it's one ordered from DealExtreme. It even has the aussie plug... The seller wasn't that bad and allowed me to send it back for a full refund.

The thing is, I can buy a real FX-888D for about 155, which is over my budget, but I can afford it. I'll list my pros and cons here:

(Possibly Fake) FX-888
Pro's
  • It's cheaper
  • One knob controls
  • I'll have it today or tomorrow (very small pro, I can wait)
  • Don't have to send it back

Cons
  • Possibly fake
  • Aussie Plug
  • Fake tips?
  • No warranty

FX-888D
Pros
  • Guaranteed to be genuine Hakko
  • Warranty
  • Peace of mind

Cons
  • Much more expensive
  • 'Terrible' digital controls

I know it's kinda my own fault for not doing enough research before buying it, but I really can't decide. I could sure use some direction in this matter!

• Contributor
Re: (Fake?) FX-888 vs. Real FX-888D
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 08:12:36 am »
Forgot to mention I've read the thread about the DX.com, but that has made me question whether I should keep it or not.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/too-good-to-be-true-(220v-hakko-fx-888-replica)/

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 03:58:24 pm »
The key issue with real vs counterfeit Hakko is getting the quality of true Hakko for the price you pay.   The digital controls are annoying, but if that's the only game left in town, its better than a clone or counterfeit all analog Hakko.  Just make sure its a true Hakko FX888D, not a clone FX888D!  The cloners are very good and fast in copying Hakko's stations.

If you buy a counterfeit Hakko or a clone that is cheaper and you know its counterfeit, its just like buying any other Chinese brand clone like Aoyue, you know it has deficiencies but will live with it.  If you pay full price for a Hakko and then find out later its counterfeit, then you are being misled.

The key differences were discussed in the archives [ including graphs and comparison photos] but the biggest are:

The materials in an original Hakko tip are patented and Hakko tips tend to last longer in use, relative to clone tips;
The Hakko heating element is better made.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 06:36:53 pm »
Get a genuine Hakko. Much better built and will last.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:19:38 pm »
Thanks a lot! I will send this one back and then pay for the real deal. I wasn't certain, but you make a strong case...  :-+

Offline DL8RI

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 11:30:50 pm »
I don't get it. Who gives a fuck if the quality of a fake may be equal to the original? Hakko pays the engineers to develop a new whatever, and there's some asshole to just copy it. That alone is reason enough not to get a fake...

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 08:59:24 am »
That is very true. I am now the proud owner of a real Hakko FX-888D, thank you guys for helping me!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf