Author Topic: [TIP] Best budget/cheap soldering stations and tools  (Read 52141 times)

Offline sn4k3Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: [TIP] Best budget/cheap soldering stations and tools
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2017, 11:57:59 pm »
Re: Louis's video above, which is fairly recent. He's now reverted to using his old single-boom stand instead of the articulating one. I can only guess that the shaking for the video stream drove himself and/or the viewers crazy.

Maybe, articulated arm looks awesome at first but after some time...
^Another one of his reviews, he is grossly upset that a more expensive scope doesn't have SimulFocus compared to a lesser expensive one.

AFAIK, SimulFocus is not a matter of "this is an upgrade over that." Having the camera port share real estate with the eye pieces all the time means that some of your light is going to a camera you might not be using. And vice versa, when you're using the camera on a SimulFocus, a lot of your light is going to both eyepieces. Switching the trinocular port in with the left eyepiece is potentially an upgrade, depending on your usage.

I think of it as a permanent cable splitter vs a switch. One is splitting up and degrading the signal all the time, even though you can't actually look thru the eye pieces AND a monitor at the same time.

Simul-Focal is not an upgrade, it's a feature. If the user never use or don't have the intention to use the camera port is OK to not have that. But i have seen P models cheaper than no P models, so it worth anyway.

You can't watch eyepieces and LCD at same time, but if you wan't to record video and work at same time? Show your work to other while you work? Formative scenarios etc. You must have a simul-focal, work with one eye will be painfull and work looking at lcd will lose a bit of quality, low fps (some cameras), not real time. I have a good HDMI Camera with 60fps and it i heavy notice the lag and draging.

My cam 60FPS 30FPS record FULLHD:

For the price Simul-Focal is a win (+/- 100€ difference)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 03:18:00 pm by sn4k3 »

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 10:07:55 am »
That looks not too shabby. Can I ask what camera and c-mount you use? Would you recommend it?

Offline progrock

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 10:46:31 am »
Thank you for the very clear explanations.  I'm still undecided on the stand, BUT I was leaning heavily towards the articulating arm, but I think now I am leaning slightly towards the dual arm stand.  I usually like articulating arms... I live in a studio apartment (I suppose a somewhat large studio, at least for SF) and have a pretty good mounting spot that would cover pretty close to all of my work area.  But the potential for it to shake is definitely a pretty bug negative.  Also, I didn't think about the whole staying in focus thing... the dual arm boom stand definitely has it's positives.  TBH I don't know how much I'd really be using the camera feature (let alone when I would get a camera for it)... but definitely an option I want to have open for the future.

I was also thinking the same thing about the Simul-Focal... it would have to split the light at all times, and that could definitely be seen as a negative.  I'm also not sure how much it would be of use to me again.... I don't really plan on making videos at this point, nor am I in an environment where I would have someone looking over my shoulder while I work.  None the less, I suppose it's another thing where it might be better to have the option for the future than not to.  If the splitting of the light isn't generally a problem for people, then I suppose it's not a huge negative.

I'm still considering the Parfocal head, tho that could be another reason to choose the double arm stand, the idea that I could leave it at the exact height, but zoom in and out a large range sounds pretty damn nice.  Of course I'd be losing the Simu Focal feature then (but again, for my working conditions, the parfocal abilities likely out weigh the Simul Focal).  If it was just Simul Focal vs no Simul Focal, I figure it's a safer bet getting it... but if it's Simul Focal vs Parfocal, then I think it really depends on the [expected] use of it.  The one big concern with this Parfocal head (http://www.amscope.com/accessories/microscope-head/6-7x-45x-ultimate-parfocal-trinocular-stereo-zoom-microscope-head.html) is the camera port.  It appears to have a different port than all the other ones I have seen, presumably a cheaper/worse port than the others... but as far as Parfocal heads go, I think they jump up in price quite a bit for any of the others... I'm assuming this one's lower price is very much due to the downgrade there.  Anyone have experience with the Parfocal heads?.... if you do, do you recommend it?

I'm starting to run into situations where a good Microscope would be really nice to have, so I might be biting the bullet pretty soon (was originally trying to convince myself to wait a little while).  The advice so far has been extremely helpful, thank you!

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 12:03:22 pm »
I'm gonna throw something out there, and you can do with it what you will.

I have purchased two Amscopes. An SM4-TX and 1BSX. None of the info I have ever read claimed they were parfocal. They are most certainly parfocal.

I had thought perhaps that parfocal was something that pretty much all Amscopes have. The "parfocal" head you have linked is physically different from the two I have, for sure. And the advert suggests it has perhaps superior optics to some other models. But I strongly suspect the "parfocal" part is a marketing gimmick, at least in this specific context.

Perhaps it is possible some of the stereomicroscopes out there will actually change focal distance when zooming in/out. And in fact, I have heard a lot of people state that paying for a Leica or Nikon is worth it, partly due to being "parfocal."

Now, I have heard a few people who have purchased an Amscope claim to notice that their microscope is not quite perfect in focus across the entire range of zoom. But I wonder if this isn't just inexperience, from this being their first scope + "scope snobs" putting this idea into their head.

What I have observed is that parfocality is dependent on the eyepiece adjustment. You have to tune the eyepiece to get perfect parfocus. If your scope is "close, but not quite perfect," I imagine it is highly unlikely that the head is designed with a type of zoom mechanism that inherently changes the focal distance. It seems to me that this would not be in the right zipcode, at all. My bet would be that they just haven't adjusted their scope eyepieces to achieve parfocus.

I could be wrong, but I believe this is why we were taught to adjust only the left eyepiece in biology class. Once you have tuned the right eyepiece, that is the only spot where the scope will be parfocal. Now, different students can adjust only the left eyepiece to account for their individual vision.

I'm far from an expert in microscopes. I could be wrong, and I frequently am.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:15:53 pm by KL27x »

The following users thanked this post: Styno

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 08:21:04 pm »
That looks not too shabby. Can I ask what camera and c-mount you use? Would you recommend it?

It output 60FPS to LCDs but only record at 30FPS, is double sampling for HDMI.
Also image can be better if you use directional light. My 144LED ring creat lot of unwanted reflections!!

Camera i Use: 1080PHA
Please check main post, i have updated

My unbox: https://www.facebook.com/PTRTECH/photos/?tab=album&album_id=306519176498929
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:28:45 pm by sn4k3 »

Offline progrock

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2017, 01:46:34 am »
KL27x, very interesting/good point... makes total sense as well.  They also need to distinguish between the parts, but sine they are both good, likely didn't want to one to sound negative or something, so simply highlighted the parfocal functionality more in the one (or maybe it is a bit superior in that regard).  Either way, thank you for reminding me that these titles are more marketing than specifications, plus not like the SM-4TP says "non-parfocal".

Well guys, looks like I have circled back around, and likely just gonna go with the SM-4TP, or SM-4NTP (still wanna talk to their sales rep to get a full explanation of the differences there).  The advice has been great, and glad I looked around and had you guys explain the benefit of the one that was originally recommended.  Otherwise, I may have bought it, then saw the articulating arm stand for about the same price, and been really disappointed... this way I am aware of the options, and making the choice for good reasons. 

My plan is to make it through black Friday... maybe even "cyber monday" or whatever the new marketing gimmick is... and see how much I end up spending those days, to decide whether or not to order the microscope right away, or wait a few more weeks to a month or so.  OR, maybe it'll go on sale at some point over this extended weekend, in which case, it'll be a win for me.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2017, 05:06:21 am »
I have to update my last post!

It recently came to my attention that the 1BSX I bought is not quite parfocal, afterall. The recipient of this scope mentioned having some minor issues, so I took a close look at it. This is what I found:

When the right eye was tuned to be parfocal, the left eye would go slightly in/out of focus across the range of zoom. And vice versa. Swapping the eyepieces didn't change anything.

I suspect that there is someone with just the right amount of asymmetry in their eyes who would love this scope. But for someone with equal vision in both eyes, this scope is definitely not able to be truly parfocal. But by adjusting the eye pieces just so, it's very minor. It's barely noticeable when looking for it, except at maybe the last few percent of zoom. If the zoom knob were blocked at that point, one would probably not even notice. In fact, this finding was a red herring. The operator has trouble seeing the image with both eyes at the same time. With some help, I got him there, but he has to touch his glasses all the way against the eyepieces. His interpupillary distance is about 7 mm smaller than mine, so I think that has something to do with it.

My own personal SM4-TX, I perceive to be perfectly parfocal, as best as I can tell. Also, I perceive the optics on mine are noticeably better. I perceive some minor distortion in the 1BSX.

Sample of 1 each tells nothing, really, but the SM4-TX is the more expensive microscope. But now I suspect that if you have to change the focus knob after changing the zoom, you just haven't tuned the eyepieces correctly. On this bogie-focal IBSX, it is one of the eyepieces you would have to adjust when maxing out the zoom.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 05:28:20 am by KL27x »

Offline madcat

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2018, 05:57:59 am »
i don't know if it is appropriate to ask here or should create a new thread instead, but i think it's still related to the title "budget/cheap", so here it is :

i'm in the market for a sidekick (hobbyist) portable soldering iron then i saw this :
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/QUICKO-T12-Mini-Adjustable-Temperature-Electric-Soldering-Iron-DC12-24V-soldering-station-Constant-temperature-Welding-Tool/2954088_32834012515.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.4a5271b7MLfskT

the price is so tempting.
for only about $10 incl. a T12 tip (tip type is selectable by our request), has adjustable temperature and receives a standard 5.5x2.1mm input jack, it looks like a "simplified" T100 iron to me.
according to the seller, the temperature is controlled with "616 dev module" built-in, whatever that means.  :-//

is there anyone here has some experience with this soldering iron? any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 09:26:31 am by madcat »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2018, 07:46:42 pm »
i don't know if it is appropriate to ask here or should create a new thread instead, but i think it's still related to the title "budget/cheap", so here it is :

i'm in the market for a sidekick (hobbyist) portable soldering iron then i saw this :
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/QUICKO-T12-Mini-Adjustable-Temperature-Electric-Soldering-Iron-DC12-24V-soldering-station-Constant-temperature-Welding-Tool/2954088_32834012515.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.4a5271b7MLfskT

the price is so tempting.
for only about $10 incl. a T12 tip (tip type is selectable by our request), has adjustable temperature and receives a standard 5.5x2.1mm input jack, it looks like a "simplified" T100 iron to me.
according to the seller, the temperature is controlled with "616 dev module" built-in, whatever that means.  :-//

is there anyone here has some experience with this soldering iron? any thoughts?

For the price it cost can't be much good, but not hurt to try it since the value is so low...
But you better go T12 clone station or TS100 anyway

The following users thanked this post: madcat

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2018, 02:38:31 am »
^For the price, it can be just fine. If you look at the electronics in these T12 clones, it's not much in there. The bulk of the cost is in the housing and the powersupply, which this doesn't even come with.

This is just a clone handle and 2.00 pcb in it to read the thermocouple and switch the power. Plenty of money to do that right. No LCD, no power. It's not particularly much for the money.

I know what the 616 reference is. The 616 pcb uses a dual 358 opamp to read and pulse the power out. There is no microcontroller in it. Very simple board. It's like a one-shot timer on the power pulse, then it re-triggers as long as the sensor output is lower than the set point. The version used in this type of handle probably has a linear regulator, 10 resistors, a pot, two or 3 caps, a dual opamp, and a couple transistors. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 02:41:54 am by KL27x »

Offline madcat

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2018, 05:21:23 am »
For the price it cost can't be much good, but not hurt to try it since the value is so low...
actually i just bought a T12 clone station already and it still on its way to my door, but i just can't take my eyes off of this iron, it is like "buy a T12 tip and get an adjustable iron handle for free" thing.  ::)

I know what the 616 reference is. The 616 pcb uses a dual 358 opamp to read and pulse the power out. There is no microcontroller in it. Very simple board. It's like a one-shot timer on the power pulse, then it re-triggers as long as the sensor output is lower than the set point. The version used in this type of handle probably has a linear regulator, 10 resistors, a pot, two or 3 caps, a dual opamp, and a couple transistors.
how do you think about that 616 ref performance to control tip temperature from set temp? does it works good enough or will it drift out far away?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 09:55:54 am by madcat »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2018, 05:29:22 am »
actually i just bought a T12 clone station already and it still on its way to my door, but i just can't take my eyes off of this iron, it is like "buy a T12 tip and get an adjustable iron handle for free" thing.  ::)

can we trust that 616 ref to manage the temperature close to our set temp or will it drift out far away?

Cable ergonomics not good with this iron, is like the ts100 but worst, When you connect the DC jack to it, there will be two different forces on the cable, that split will make it a bit hard to play with.
But in any case you can redo the wiring with proper cable eg: 2m flexible silicone cable
T12 station easy wins in that situation, a light iron is much more fun to work with

Offline madcat

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2018, 08:14:04 am »
ahh.. that makes sense. thank you for point it out about the cable ergonomics.  :-+

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2018, 02:59:13 am »
how do you think about that 616 ref performance to control tip temperature from set temp? does it works good enough or will it drift out far away?

I had a mini 616 controller pcb, bought off eBay and shipped from China. I didn't get to try it out, though. It was only good for up to 20V, and I tried to modify it for 24V, but I failed to consider everything, apparently.

The Suhan 616 clone station that I have uses the same basic circuit but has some additional components so it can run off 24.5V psu. I find it works great. I didn't spend a lot of time testing it with a thermocouple or anything. I mean I did, just to check the calibration. And the temp didn't fluctuate while measuring. But in real world soldering, there is nothing for me to complain about. This station reaches 300C from cold in about 10 seconds.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 03:01:11 am by KL27x »

Offline madcat

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2018, 05:27:48 am »
It was only good for up to 20V, and I tried to modify it for 24V, but I failed to consider everything, apparently.
well that's a bummer. it's supposed to operate at 12-24v as advertised.
is this kind of module that you've bought?  --> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-12-24V-Mini-T12-Temperature-Control-Board-LED-DIY-for-Soldering-Iron-Station/32764034081.html?ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_1_10152_10151_10065_10344_10068_10342_10343_10340_10341_10084_10083_10618_10307_5711211_10313_10059_10534_100031_10103_10627_10626_10624_10623_10622_5722411_10621_10620_5711311,searchweb201603_25,ppcSwitch_5&algo_expid=68adac44-bf06-4f04-8170-a567b1fdc579-0&algo_pvid=68adac44-bf06-4f04-8170-a567b1fdc579&transAbTest=ae803_5&priceBeautifyAB=0

The Suhan 616 clone station that I have uses the same basic circuit but has some additional components so it can run off 24.5V psu. I find it works great. I didn't spend a lot of time testing it with a thermocouple or anything. I mean I did, just to check the calibration. And the temp didn't fluctuate while measuring. But in real world soldering, there is nothing for me to complain about. This station reaches 300C from cold in about 10 seconds.
hope the Quicko 942 "DC version" station i've bought will perform the same as yours.
and when i feel need to buy another tip for it, maybe i will buy that cheapie adjustable iron one instead, just want to play a little with it.  ;D

thank you for all thoughts & suggestions guys. really appreciate all of it. cheers.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2018, 09:52:54 pm »
Yeah, something like that.

If the description says 24V, I wouldn't doubt it. There are different variations of this "616" circuit.

Offline madcat

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2018, 09:53:46 am »
my Quicko 942 has arrived. just play a little bit with it and yes it definitely a decent soldering station for me. its size is only a quarter by the length of those T12 clone station. only takes 10-15 seconds to reach 250c using a 19v laptop brick. for about $25 usd i'm very pleased.  ;D

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2018, 12:29:57 pm »

I had a mini 616 controller pcb, bought off eBay and shipped from China. I didn't get to try it out, though. It was only good for up to 20V, and I tried to modify it for 24V, but I failed to consider everything, apparently.

Does somebody have a wiring diagram for this little board?
I have one that a friend bought from Banggod, but they do not have any kind of instructions for it, and even the e-bay sellers don't.
I think that with some patience I could find how to connect it, but some instructiond could be useful...
Best regards
Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2018, 01:27:50 pm »

Does somebody have a wiring diagram for this little board?
I have one that a friend bought from Banggod, but they do not have any kind of instructions for it, and even the e-bay sellers don't.
I think that with some patience I could find how to connect it, but some instructiond could be useful...
Best regards

If it's this one: https://world.taobao.com/item/556040205106.htm
Scroll down for various pictures. Hopefully that will be enough. If not, find someone who can read the image text.

The following users thanked this post: ciccio

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2018, 02:19:52 pm »
The link did not work, but I found it on Taobao using the  item number. Thanks, it is enough..
I'll try it as soon as possible.
Best regards

Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2018, 07:57:22 am »
I have this one:

https://www.banggood.com/YIHUA-908D-220V-LED-Digital-Display-Soldering-Station-Soldering-Iron-Kit-p-1059873.html

It costs 24$ but I got it for 18$ only. Works fine for me and very fast... Can't go wrong for 24$. I bought 2 units, one of them got its heating element burned after couple of uses so I guess this is just bad luck. I bought heating element alone which is also cheap. Totally recommend it.

Offline Southerner

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2018, 05:37:47 pm »
The Amscope SE400Z microscope is a great little microscope.  I have a Nichon SMZ1 and an SMZ645 but found the working distance to be too close whereas the SE400Z's 9 working distance is just right.  Also the price of the SE400Z was 1/3 what I paid for either the SMZ1 or the SMZ645.

Offline YTSOC

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2018, 06:17:14 pm »
Hello everyone, i'm in need to buy a relatively cheap soldering station ; here's my story :

Until recently i worked in a electronics repair shop where i use an ersa icon pico and boy did i love that  station. The tip was incredible , it lasted 3(or more) years of daily use  in a repair shop... if that's not quality i don;t know what is. Overall impressed with "bang for buck" and the  very small and easy to use pencil-like tool
Now that i don't work there anymore i need to buy myself  a soldering station for my small projects that i work on at home(until now i could just use the tools from work)

My first choice was the ts100 but searching the internet i found other cheaper stations that used T12 tips :

Bakon BK950D and other ones that have  oled or led screens

What should i chose? i'm not interested in the portability aspect of the ts100, i just need to get as  close as possible to the icon pico in terms of soldering capabilities

I guess it comes down to... tips?  are t12 tips better that what the ts100 uses?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2018, 06:34:50 pm »
Hello everyone, i'm in need to buy a relatively cheap soldering station ; here's my story :

Until recently i worked in a electronics repair shop where i use an ersa icon pico and boy did i love that  station. The tip was incredible , it lasted 3(or more) years of daily use  in a repair shop... if that's not quality i don;t know what is. Overall impressed with "bang for buck" and the  very small and easy to use pencil-like tool
Now that i don't work there anymore i need to buy myself  a soldering station for my small projects that i work on at home(until now i could just use the tools from work)

My first choice was the ts100 but searching the internet i found other cheaper stations that used T12 tips :

Bakon BK950D and other ones that have  oled or led screens

What should i chose? i'm not interested in the portability aspect of the ts100, i just need to get as  close as possible to the icon pico in terms of soldering capabilities

I guess it comes down to... tips?  are t12 tips better that what the ts100 uses?

If you are used to ERSA and that work great for you, why not order one for yourself? I think the Ersa Nano is "relatively cheap" and is a very good station, worth every cent. Ersa tips can last longer than 3 years with proper care
You can find that T12 clones not as pratical as the i-tool when you used to i-con. But if you really wan't to go that route to spare some money, the T12 clones are all pratical the same, the handle and control board is what changes, and of course the quality can vary from seller to seller but not that much. Buy what you think is best for you. KSGER and QUICKO have good units.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 06:40:16 pm by sn4k3 »

Offline YTSOC

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2018, 07:51:49 pm »
the price difference is quite big: ersa is  appx 260 us dollars

I was curious if someone used all of them: ts100 , ersa and chinese t12;  what would be  better when comparing soldering capabilities? ts100 or the china t12?

I kinda like that the ts100 has big user base and software alternatives, but it seems like the tip is far from the grip

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf