Author Topic: 10$ DIY pick & place tool!!  (Read 15581 times)

Offline iampoor

• Frequent Contributor
Re: 10$ DIY pick & place tool!!
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 07:44:51 am »
When can we see this on mailbag?  >:D

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2015, 05:41:11 pm »
I've got an OK Industries pickup tool that came from a hamfest.

It has two ways to control the vacuum : a foot pedal that leaks air when you press on it, and a hole in the side of the pen that leaks unless you cover it up.

No solenoids needed, and it works very well : you can normally ignore the pedal and just cover/uncover the hole on the handle to pick up and drop parts. If it's a very delicate placement and you don't want to move a finger, just press on the foot pedal instead.

It doesn't have Zapta's advanced puff-out feature though !

Offline zaptaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2015, 05:51:30 pm »
I've got an OK Industries pickup tool that came from a hamfest.

It has two ways to control the vacuum : a foot pedal that leaks air when you press on it, and a hole in the side of the pen that leaks unless you cover it up.

No solenoids needed, and it works very well : you can normally ignore the pedal and just cover/uncover the hole on the handle to pick up and drop parts. If it's a very delicate placement and you don't want to move a finger, just press on the foot pedal instead.

Somebody mentioned somewhere else that he uses an electric pedal to turn the pump on/off. Probably longer response time but he says that this simple approach works.

Personally I prefer release activation that is separated from the hand piece to avoid the shaking.

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 07:22:45 pm »
that may be me, in another post.  I am currently awaiting the solenoid valve and the foot switch.

I have gotten the vacuum pen and the hose/pump all working now, but without the solenoid valve or the foot switch, it doesn't release the parts unless you knock them against something.  I should get those parts soon.

I like this idea, except for one thing.....I'm gettin kinda old in my age, in fact, i'll be 41 next week.  And in my old age, I drool alot. I can see that mouth piece and that tube getting all yucky with drool.

But a great idea indeed.  I have 16 ft of hose, and I tried that with my vacuum pen before hooking to the pump, and it takes alot for me to try and create enough suction to hold the parts.  It may be because of the 16ft hose, or just my old age. 

I'm 41, but physically i feel 80.

If this pump thing doesn't work with the solenoid valve and the foot switch, I will try it with a short hose and see if it works with mouth suction. If it does, where can I buy one of your 3D printed mouth pieces?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 07:59:01 pm »
that may be me, in another post.  I am currently awaiting the solenoid valve and the foot switch.

I have gotten the vacuum pen and the hose/pump all working now, but without the solenoid valve or the foot switch, it doesn't release the parts unless you knock them against something.  I should get those parts soon.

But a great idea indeed.  I have 16 ft of hose, and I tried that with my vacuum pen before hooking to the pump, and it takes alot for me to try and create enough suction to hold the parts.  It may be because of the 16ft hose, or just my old age. 

16ft is very long. I use much shorter tubes, about 1' for the mouthpiece one and ~2' for the pump+valve one. I am using a 3 way normally closed valve. The picking is activated when the solenoid gets energized and when released, the valve releases the vacuums from the hand piece. Sticking the component into the paste helps with the release.

If this pump thing doesn't work with the solenoid valve and the foot switch, I will try it with a short hose and see if it works with mouth suction. If it does, where can I buy one of your 3D printed mouth pieces?

I don't sell them but I can print a free sample.

I'm 41, but physically i feel 80.

Biologically you are younger than Dave. ;-)

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2015, 08:45:47 pm »
yes, but dave is in Australia. Everyone knows you age backwards there.  Like the toilets that swirl in opposite direction.  :P

I just may be interested in a "free" sample, if this doesn't work.

Yes, I know, 16' is too long, but I didn't want to cut those hose yet until I had the solenoid valve and figured out where I was going to put it.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 09:12:20 pm »
Yes, I know, 16' is too long, but I didn't want to cut those hose yet until I had the solenoid valve and figured out where I was going to put it.

Depending on your valve, you may also need NPT Male Barb Hose adapters. I had to order them separately.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2015, 06:23:40 am »
Go to any pneumatic supplier and get push on fittings, they are cheap and easy to use. Get the polyurethane pipe there as well, as it is a lot more flexible than nylon tube. Has a shorter life though. Tubing has a special cutter, but a sharp box cutter blade works just as well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf