Author Topic: 3D printer for $73 shipped. Too good?  (Read 4732 times)

Offline zaptaTopic starter

• Super Contributor

Offline singapol

• Frequent Contributor
Re: 3D printer for $73 shipped. Too good?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 01:53:16 am »
You people want a good deal but use common sense. Can you diy one yourself for $73? If you are doing business can you sell something for less than it cost to make plus free shipping? Aliexpress like ebay has seller rating but it has none because shop opened on 29 sept. 2015. Ah...that explains it then place an order and see if it reaches your doorstep. ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:28:26 am by singapol »

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 02:03:57 am »
Yes this one is going around at the moment, it's a scam.

You will place the order.
Shortly after they will say something like "we had to change the shipping method, so we will give you $[small amount] refund, please open dispute and we will give you the refund"
You open the dispute, they give th partial refund, they get the rest of the money, the printer never arrives, you are S-O-L because you already used your one-and-only dispute.
If you don't open the dispute, they will get progressively more insistent that you open the dispute, putting a time limit on the refund offer etc.

There is no printer, the printer is a lie.

You can get some cheap printers on Aliexpress, I got one, but not THAT cheap, THAT cheap is not only below cost, it's basically a free printer.

http://thinkl33t.co.uk/anatomy-of-a-scam-the-tale-of-the-40-3d-printer/
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline onlooker

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 02:17:00 am »
Yes this one is going around at the moment, it's a scam...

Good to know! I almost fall for the trick.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 07:38:58 am »
Can you diy one yourself for $73?
If I use salvaged parts, probably yes, but it'd be far more than $73 in labour...

This scam is really funny. Look at the other items in this not-so-creatively-named "Shenzhen Co., Ltd" store:

A 3D printer that can print metal, "rubbrt", and somehow wood, for less than $63! :o

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 12:12:02 pm »
They must really think we are all stupid. Even in china $73 would barely cover the wiring, PCBs and the postage.

Anyway apparently it's sold out, wow really... lol
No doubt their address is given as Shenzhen Market, no shop number hahaha.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 12:41:03 pm »
please open dispute and we will give you the refund"
or simply they only accept bank wire transfer. no dispute no refund, aliexpress doesnt want to get involved...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 04:22:24 am »
The item and store seems to have disappeared. I wish I had taken a screenshot of that wood-printing 3D printer though...

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 04:53:13 am »
The item and store seems to have disappeared. I wish I had taken a screenshot of that wood-printing 3D printer though...

While I didn't see that, it should be noted that there are in fact "wood" filaments for 3d printers now.  Or rather, PLA filament which is infused with a certain percentage of wood fibre to produce a "wood" effect.  Similarly, there are metal containing filaments (eg copper, bronze, brass) for metal effect printing.  Quite interesting times.

~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 09:10:08 pm »

While I didn't see that, it should be noted that there are in fact "wood" filaments for 3d printers now.  Or rather, PLA filament which is infused with a certain percentage of wood fibre to produce a "wood" effect.  Similarly, there are metal containing filaments (eg copper, bronze, brass) for metal effect printing.  Quite interesting times.

Another version of filling plastic with sawdust because it's cheaper than actual plastic. Given PLA isn't that stable long term, wood filled is going to be "showbag" quality plastic.

Offline PointyOintment

• Frequent Contributor
  • ↑ I scanned my face
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 02:03:04 am »

Yes, Laywood and possibly competitors now.
But pure wood can now be friction welded (and, apparently, extruded too):

where I learned this, with more info
I refuse to use AD's LTspice or any other "free" software whose license agreement prohibits benchmarking it (which implies it's really bad) or publicly disclosing the existence of the agreement. Fortunately, I haven't agreed to that one, and those terms are public already.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 03:50:41 am »
Here's an example of a wood filament:
https://www.bilby3d.com.au/DispProd.asp?CatID=9&SubCatID=110&ProdID=FIL175Wd (no affiliation)
Looks like its 60% wood blended with PLA - apparently it even smells like wood!

But pure wood can now be friction welded (and, apparently, extruded too):

where I learned this, with more info

That's pretty neat!  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf