Author Topic: [SOLVED] 3DConnection CadMouse or Altnernative  (Read 2378 times)

Offline gnifTopic starter

• Administrator
[SOLVED] 3DConnection CadMouse or Altnernative
« on: September 05, 2018, 05:38:26 am »
Once again, I have worn out my mouse, after replacing the middle mouse microswitch for the 8th time the plastic center that is in the rotary encoder for the wheel snapped off. I am now looking for a high grade wired mouse with a decent middle mouse button, at this point I am interested in the 3DConnection CadMouse but with it's $200 price tag, I want to be sure it's decently built before I purchase it, or if there are other options that are not "gaming" mice and will survive 12 hours a day 7 days a week for years on end.

I found internal photos of the mouse CadMouse here: https://fccid.io/2AAHQ-CM/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-2527151

The CadMouse is interesting to me because it has a center button, seperate to the wheel. As many Linux console warriors will know, the middle mouse button is used to paste text, and as such sees a ton more usage then with general desktop users.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 02:41:07 am by gnif »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: 3DConnection CadMouse or Altnernative
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 10:14:03 pm »
Can you remap the additional buttons on a standard mouse instead? You can get a Logitech gaming mouse for half the price with 11 buttons (probably overkill, but most will have 2 or 3 thumb buttons).

$100 here: https://www.amazon.com/3Dconnexion-CadMouse-Professionals-Windows-3DX-700052/dp/B00U84JYJG
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 10:19:30 pm »
Thanks but I had already considered this, I find the thumb buttons a pain as its too easy to hit them by accident. Good idea though

Offline luma

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 11:38:18 pm »
Logitech MX Master has a similarly-positioned middle button and (my favorite feature) software-switchable freewheel scrolling, so I can switch between detent or free scrolling as use case requires: https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Cross-Computer-Control-Graphite/dp/B071YZJ1G1

I have 3 3Dconnexion space pilot devices in the house and they are well built and well supported devices.  If you do any sort of 3D work I can highly recommend them.

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 02:09:02 am »
Thanks but that little button is not the middle button on the CADMouse, it has a full button just like the left and right buttons.

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 02:40:37 am »
I managed to get a look at one of these and after playing around with it I decided to fork out the cash and get one. The feel is great, will take a little getting used to clicking the middle button again, but really looking forward to it. I hated it when the scrolling wheel took over the button all those years ago, IMO this mouse is the best of both worlds.

Offline todd_fuller

• Contributor
Re: [SOLVED] 3DConnection CadMouse or Altnernative
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 04:02:26 am »
That looks an aweful lot like the Logitech MX Anywhere. Something for others to consider if cost is an issue. A real middle mouse button and the scroll wheel tilts to make two more switches. I use these to map to Mac Expose functions, etc.

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 12:07:01 am »
Thanks but the Logitech MX Anywhere doesn't have a real middle button like the CAD mouse. See here, highligted blue.

Offline todd_fuller

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 02:16:34 am »
Ohhh, you're right. The pictures on their site are all dark with dark background, so it's hard to see just cursorily looking at the pictures. That's something to consider when the Logitech I have need yet another microswitch replacement.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf