Author Topic: 8x illuminated bench magnifiers  (Read 5724 times)

Offline dicky96Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Learn Electronics Repair
8x illuminated bench magnifiers
« on: May 20, 2017, 06:42:02 pm »
Hi guys
I do most of my repair work and soldering using a 2x illuminated bench magnifier and find that is good enough for most things I currently work on.  I've been looking at binocular and trinocular boom microscopes for some time to allow me to undertake smaller work such as mobile phones and laptops where 2x bench magnifier is really not up to the task.

However a decent microscope is a considerable investment and I've seen these 8x illuminated magnifiers with 5 inch glass lenses similar to this one on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swing-Arm-Desk-Mount-8X-Magnifier-Glass-Lens-Work-Light-Lamp-Magnifying-22W-UK-/162210473425?hash=item25c47f65d1:g:xkIAAOSw~y9ZCXj3

To be honest I really like working under my 2x magnifier, has anyone used one of the 8x magnifiers and is there any disadvantage (like distorted viewing or lack of depth of field) to these higher magnifications?    8x sounds just nice for inspecting and soldering on SMD 0201 size and at £25 it seems a cheap alternative to a microscope if it is usable.  I could mount it on the other end of my bench and be able to switch easily between 2x and 8x

Cheers
Rich
Follow me on Youtube

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: 8x illuminated bench magnifiers
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 10:23:20 pm »
I'm pretty sure the lense is 8 diopter. The magnification is: 8/4+1=3x

For SMD work 6x is ideal but you have to go for a Mantis or wide angle stereo microscope. Both not cheap and compact.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 10:25:12 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 07:00:37 am »
I have seen universities surplussing microscopes.  Most likely from biology departments. 
Would something like that work?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 04:19:20 pm »
I'm pretty sure the lense is 8 diopter. The magnification is: 8/4+1=3x

For SMD work 6x is ideal but you have to go for a Mantis or wide angle stereo microscope. Both not cheap and compact.

Hmm are you sure?  The description says it is 8x magnification, wouldn't they be misrepresenting goods if it is not?

Lens material: glass
100% Brand New.
Material: Alloy and Glass
Arm Length: 94cm/36.7inch
Each Arm Length: 47cm/18.3inch
Glass Magnifier Diameter: 12.2cm/4.8inch
8x magnification allows for precise work.
Rating Voltage: 220V-240V/50Hz
Rating Power: 22W
Design: Magnifying Lamp

But if it is not 8x magnification (I will message and ask) then there are these 20x ones that are only a few £ more and these specifically say '20x diopter' so is that actually 6x magnification?  That sounds ideal for smd work from what you posted.   Hewre is just an example of 20x I found on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Desk-Magnifier-Magnifying-Lamp-Light-Skincare-Beauty-Nail-Manicure-Tattoo-Salon-/162236322139?var=&hash=item25c609d15b:m:mClQbjaSTN-WDF0nHaDS7Dg

Anyone used one of these 20x diopter and can advise how they compare with the much more expensive stereo microscope?

Rich
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 04:25:49 pm by dicky96 »
Follow me on Youtube

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 05:17:09 pm »
I have an 8 diopter magnifier lamp myself but it's useful area isn't large. I expect that to be worse on a 20 diopter lense. Also the lamp head is heavy so a small bump makes it swing for a long time.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 06:28:36 pm »
I have a similar light with 3x lens. It's okay for general use but I don't use it much for soldering, too much distortion and it's uncomfortable on my eyes if I use it more than a minute or so. If you do buy any kind of clamp on lamp light, make sure the clamp is metal. While metal clamps can break, plastic ones always break.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 06:40:43 pm »
Cheers nctnico

The one I currently have (and have used for many years) is about 2x magnification so I guess that would be 5 diopter?   I agree the head is heavy but I have gotten really used to soldering and probing SMD boards using this, it gives me a good working distance for soldering, I'm comfortable using it for long periods and I just swing it to the side of my bench when I am not using it.  So the weight of the head and size of lens I am happy with using.

The 20 diopter one has the same size lens as the 5 diopter one I have now, but I don't seem able to determine if the working distance to focus the pcb would be 3 times closer. Is that the way it works as magnification goes up?  Is ther some formula to calculate this?

Non of the ones for sale seem to mention working distance    :-//

Rich
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:42:31 pm by dicky96 »
Follow me on Youtube

Offline dorin

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 12:23:44 pm »
I have seen universities surplussing microscopes.  Most likely from biology departments. 
Would something like that work?
Maybe with the right custom lens, but with the default lens the focal distance is too small (and magnification too large) to do anything practical. They might work for silicon wafer inspection, but the lighting would need to be changed from bellow to above which is also not trivial.

The following users thanked this post: shteii01

Offline rbm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 01:16:21 pm »
I have a similar light with 3x lens. It's okay for general use but I don't use it much for soldering, too much distortion and it's uncomfortable on my eyes if I use it more than a minute or so. If you do buy any kind of clamp on lamp light, make sure the clamp is metal. While metal clamps can break, plastic ones always break.
Same here.  I have an original Luxo magnifier lamp as well as a stereo microscope.  The Luxo is 3X and the microscope fixed at either 10X or 20X depending on the eyepiece I use.  I do SMD soldering and electronics assembly using both but reach for the microscope over the lamp 90% of the time.  I much prefer the clarity of optics with the microscope.  I find that the lamp can get bumped very slightly and will start to oscillate for some time, making the image shift around the place.  I have to steady the lamp to stop this oscillation and then things are fine.  The working distance is more than adequate for both.  Lighting is very even for both as well.  I have a ring light on the microscope and the intensity of the light is better for intricate soldering of 0603 and 0805 components than is the Luxo.  The advantage of the Luxo over the microscope is the ability to hold and manipulate 3D objects like project cases which are cumbersome under the microscope because you constantly have to adjust the focus.

In my opinion, a magnifier lamp is not a substitute for a microscope, but it augments the microscope for certain tasks where the former is not best suited.  If the majority of your work involves 2D soldering and assembly, the microscope is a better tool.
- Robert

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf