Author Topic: Affordable SMD Hot tweezers?  (Read 7971 times)

Offline djosTopic starter

• Supporter
Affordable SMD Hot tweezers?
« on: July 10, 2017, 06:28:22 am »
G'day chaps, I had a pair of really cheap ($40 AUD) SMD Hot tweezers which lasted all of 2 LCIII restorations before one half stopped heating up as well as the other (not surprising really). On the plus side I learnt the value of hot tweezers for quickly and easily removing SMD caps etc when doing old computer restorations.

As the Crap ones are now useless, I need to buy another set - can folks please recommend an affordable set of SMD Hot tweezers? Ideally I'd like a set that has changeable tips so I can fit wider tips for SMD DIPP packages etc if I need them.

I'm just a hobbyist so my gear (in total) only gets used for an hour or two per weekend, hot tweezers even less.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Affordable SMD Hot tweezers?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 08:01:55 am »
I've never found tweezers to be that useful - two soldering irons are a lot more flexible as you can move each independently.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 08:14:59 am »
I've never found tweezers to be that useful - two soldering irons are a lot more flexible as you can move each independently.

That's definitely an option, however when space is really tight (e.g. Densely populated Computer main boards) the hot tweezers really come into their own.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 11:18:15 pm »
I'm quite content with my Ersa chiptool but it is not exactly cheap. I have used it to rework a couple of hundred boards and it worked really well.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/ersa-chiptool-quick-review/

I used to own a Auyuoe SMT tweezers but the tips where total crap.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:19:46 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: djos

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 03:27:23 am »
I'm quite content with my Ersa chiptool but it is not exactly cheap. I have used it to rework a couple of hundred boards and it worked really well.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/ersa-chiptool-quick-review/

I used to own a Auyuoe SMT tweezers but the tips where total crap.

Cheers, they look decent but I think I may have to do some saving up!

Although I am tempted by the Yihua 938DB+ ... only issue is the range of extra tips seems limited at best. On the plus side, I could use a second Soldering Iron.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2in1-SMD-Rework-hot-heating-tweezers-soldering-Station-AU/152301557479?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 09:10:18 am »
If the tips are clones from a good brand then you may have a chance to get something decent if you buy the original tips. But even then too much play in the tweezer part or no proper tip locking mechanism will make it suck. Just look at how much effort Ersa put into making a system which keeps the tips aligned.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 09:16:29 am »
If the tips are clones from a good brand then you may have a chance to get something decent if you buy the original tips. But even then too much play in the tweezer part or no proper tip locking mechanism will make it suck. Just look at how much effort Ersa put into making a system which keeps the tips aligned.

Good point, that was a major PITA on my cheap ones.

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 10:36:00 am »
What's your budget? For a hundred bucks, you can get a used metcal mfr power supply, then throw in another 300 bucks you can get a complete hot tweezer handle, cartridge and holder set. Maybe the tweezer set also has used ones lying around.

I cant afford to spend more than $200 AUD unfortunately, even that is a stretch for me right now.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 11:23:46 pm »
You have to decide whether to spend money on SMD tweezers which may not be worth it (waste of money) or don't buy the SMD tweezers at all. Perhaps it would be wise to buy it locally so you can look at it first and/or return it if it doesn't work very well.

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 11:51:27 pm »
You have to decide whether to spend money on SMD tweezers which may not be worth it (waste of money) or don't buy the SMD tweezers at all. Perhaps it would be wise to buy it locally so you can look at it first and/or return it if it doesn't work very well.

very true, if I keep wasting money on cheap ones, chances are I'll exceed that spent on a single good tool.

Offline Prime

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 09:02:09 am »
I'm in the market for a set of these as well. However one thing I've noticed is the power levels vary widely.

For instance, the ones for the FX-888D are half the wattage per tip as a single iron (35W+35W). It's a similar situation with the Weller SMD tweezers (25W+25W).

The tweezers for the bigger Hakko stations are 70W per tip which is why they can only be used on the dual iron stations.

This is something you'll want to check on whichever model you get.

The following users thanked this post: djos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf